Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 18:55

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%
Lightbulb my dinner of chicken kiev,, this is worth the read!! NO CARBS KIEV

I went to my butcher the other day and saw the yummy crumbed big fat and juicy chicken kiev`s,,,you know the ones stuffed with garlic butter and then crumbed with bad bad bread crumbs,,, so I asked ,,``do you make those here``?,,,,,,
``of course we do`` came the reply.... (lol,,opps) ...
``Can you make me one stuffed with all that yummy garlic and butter but not crumb it``?
``Sure not a problem I am boneing the chickens today,,,come back in say and hour`` he said
``I will be here with bells on,, may I have 3 please``? I pleaded
``sure,,see you soon`` he replied

I picked up my `not` crumbed chicken kievs (well hubby did,,,,and he was a little more than unimpressed by the state of the kievs with no crumbs,, ) the butcher tied them with butchers string like on roasts to hold them together.

I popped them into a pan and pan fried them till starting to go gold and crunchy,,,all the butter and garlic was running out and they were going crispy,,,, I then popped them into a baking tray with all the juices of butter and garlic and baked in the oven till they were to my liking of golden brown..... I had them with steamed vegetables and the butter/garlic in the baking tray went great like a sauce for the top of the chicken and vegetables...

I see you will all be running to the butchers asking the same thing now,,,lol,,,, its worth it i tell you!!!!
good luck..... best dinner i have had in a long time,,,,, and as for garlic breath,,,,,WHO CARES! dinner was devine!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 20:49

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

that was nice of your butcher jordy. i make my own, i coat the outside with the grated parmesan cheese you buy in packets. very delish, and as you say...no carbs!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 22:27

BF:

i love the idea of the grated parmesan sam,,,,thats good,,, for those of us with not much spare time (taxi mum here for the child,,,swimming,,soccer,, work and HUSBAND,,lol) its great to have a good butcher who makes life easy,,, well i was excited about my dinner and thought it was a good idea for those who have not thought of it yet...
Another good idea I have found is a chicken breast pan fried and topped with tomato supreme (its in a can) add chilly for more of a mexican kick!
Bye
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 06:38

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

While on holidays, ate this fantastic cashew chicken,.... the chicken was crumbed with crushed cashew nuts..... absolutely yummy...

Couldn't get a carb count of course, but you can bet that I will be working on this very soon..... had never thought of using crushed nuts instead of breadcrumbs....

Now you have me imagining chicken kiev, crumbed with cashews... wow, salivating just at the thought of it....

Last edited by reowdy : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 06:40.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 20:30

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

jordy, you are right it is great to have shortcuts!! the panfried chicken sounds good...i make chicken parmigana using parma cheese, in fact last night i made lamb cutlets the same way, with chopped garlic mixe din. mmmm the way we get to eat!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 01:43

Plan: less than 20 grams
Stats: 145/129.5/110 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 44%

The Chicken Keiv sounds wonderful... did you know you can crumb low-carb bread or muffins for use as a coating?
If you 1st coat the chicken or meat (e.g. scnitzel) with soy protein isolate, then dip it in beaten egg, then you can coat it in the crumbs.. but only for shallow frying, not deep!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 02:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lots of people use crushed pork crackles as breading too. I've never bothered. Like Jordy, I'd be happy with it the way the butcher prepared it.

Roz
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 17:40

BF:

I agree rosebud,,,, I have tried the soy protien isolate and think its an aquired taste,,LOL,,, its sits alone in my cupboard,, isolated and unloved,,lol,, but think the parmigana cutlets sounds devine,,off the the butchers for some cutlets tonight,,thanks Sam...
As for the pork crackles,,,I went on over kill with them the first 4 weeks of my diet (as with bacon and eggs,LOL) and have not touched the crackling since..... think its time for a re-birth ....bye all
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 18:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Rosebud means "pork rinds" or "bacon puffs" as they are known in North America. (Just translating in case any northern hemisphere types happen along.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 18:49

BF:

yep they are called pork crackles in australia,,, but dont go anywhere, I may call on you `tofi` for translation advice when it comes to some american and canadian recipes I have looked at,,lol,, can I eat `twinkies`? lol,,, they sound good, bet my life they are not low carb,,,hehe,,, anyway send me some,,,NOT...haha........ catch ya round the forum,, Jordy
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 00:05

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 165/154.3/148 Female 170cm
BF:No Thanks.
Progress: 63%

I just made chicken kiev for dinner last night. I cut a slit in chicken breast then stuffed the hole with butter mixed with heaps of garlic and parsley flakes then used a tooth pick to close the slit. then rolled chicken in egg and then a mixture of parmersan cheese(from the green can) and garlic powder. Then fried them in oil until cripsy and brown. you could also bake them. Yummmmo!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 06:59
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Awesome tip, thanks FitFuture!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 21:19

Plan: Bodytrim
Stats: 224/198/165 Female 170CM
BF:
Progress:

wow these sound beautiful. I happen to have some chicken out for dinner, looks like I am trying low carb chicken kiev
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-11, 20:02
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 202/176/158 Female 174 cms
BF:30.5%/28%/25%
Progress: 59%

Mmm I have boned chicken thighs out for dinner tonight and think I might give them the Kiev treatment and will roll mine in a parmesan & almond meal mix.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 21:23

Plan: Bodytrim
Stats: 224/198/165 Female 170CM
BF:
Progress:

wow this was the best suggestion ! Thank you !
I went to Leonards the other day (Australian chicken shop) and they had the beautiful chicken kievs and chicken parmigianas so I did the same, asked if they make them themselves. And they said they would make me some without the breadcrumbs.
I ordered loads of them ! Will try them with the parmessan or use some of the low carb breadcrumbs I ordered.