Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#616   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 06:28
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishred15
Dr. Fung's newest post The Fed and Fasted State is a very simplistic but clear explanation of the two states and why we need periods of fasting in our lives. Would be a great piece to earmark for sharing with someone starting out.
Thanks for this. As always, Dr. Fung finds the right word and illustrations to get through to me.
Quote:
There are really two different places where our body can obtain energy

1. food
2. Stored food energy (glycogen in liver, or body fat)

But here’s the CRITICAL point. You can only get energy from one or the other, but not both at the same time. ( Red added by ME for emphasis.)

And from Brenda (Join the party at Ketofest)

Quote:
I told Dr. Fettke I had been on the ketogenic diet just over three years, and that my foot had recently completely healed. His eyes lit up, and he smiled and said to me “Do you know how long it takes for the nerves to regrow from your spinal cord to your foot? Three years.”

If we want to get better and STAY better, especially those with neuropathy, we can't be jumping on and off this path or those nerves may never grow back. Our bodies need time to heal. This is not a quick fix.
Sponsored Links
  #617   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 06:39

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

If we want to get better and STAY better, especially those with neuropathy, we can't be jumping on and off this path or those nerves may never grow back. Our bodies need time to heal. This is not a quick fix.

Jumping on and off this path is just a bad idea. If you care about health more than weight loss, which to me makes the most sense, then you will want to stick to a healthy way of eating.

Jean
  #618   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 07:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

So true, this is not a quick fix, and with the varying ways individuals adapt, it is a long-term pursuit of good health with adjustments from N=1 experiences. Absolutely health must be priority number 1 with weight loss a pleasant by-product on the journey. Well said, both!
  #619   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 15:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Though I completely missed the social media angst ... I did find the new Fasting Talk format today. "Jimmy Moore and FRIENDS"

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...o-fasting/27897

Quote:
Veteran health podcaster, blogger, international speaker, and bestselling author Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” hosts this podcast dedicated to featuring listener testimonials and stories about their journey using intermittent, alternate day, and extended fasting. Jimmy, along with noted Toronto-based nephrologist and fasting expert Dr. Jason Fung, is the coauthor of the 2016 international bestselling book The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting and has years of experience and knowledge about fasting to share in these engaging conversations with everyday people perfecting the fine art of not eating. Listen in today as Jimmy introduces the new format for Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore And Friends by featuring the Fasting Success Story vignettes from the Audible audiobook version of The Complete Guide To Fasting in Episode 24. Beginning next Friday, he’ll start interviewing real people sharing their stories of fasting in the real world. DON’T MISS THIS EXCITING NEW FORMAT!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-17-17 at 03:35.
  #620   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 05:33

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/g...a-after-eating/

TMI department--a facebook group brought up diarrhea that some people get after a meal when they're intermittent fasting. An administrator suggested that the body wasn't used to food and was reacting as if poisoned, and suggested breaking a fast gently, and then eating a larger meal a while later. This article mentions stomach stretching as something that can trigger a bowel movement, and suggests that if this happens before the bowels are ready for it, things could get messy, which seems a more likely explanation. But this might be a case where the prescription is more important than having the diagnosis quite right.
  #621   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 08:20

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I definitely had loose bowels after fasting the first few times and eating a "regular meal" to break it. I think I warned others about that but it's not always the case apparently. I don't seem to have that issue much any longer - example was breaking an extended fast last Friday evening with large meal <-- poison? hardly
  #622   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 08:42

BF:

I think the fellow was looking at shifts in gut bacteria as being what was responded to as poisoning, rather than the food itself.

Usually people have eaten recently enough that evacuation of the bowels is a reasonable idea when they eat another substantial meal. It would make sense for the system to learn after some fasting that that response is not always appropriate.

Maybe some food "intolerances" are simple conditioned responses?
  #623   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-17, 09:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I definitely had loose bowels after fasting the first few times and eating a "regular meal" to break it. I think I warned others about that but it's not always the case apparently. I don't seem to have that issue much any longer - example was breaking an extended fast last Friday evening with large meal <-- poison? hardly
Man, I still have this problem in spades! I feel like I dare not break a fast unless I'm sure I have plenty of hours ahead of me to hang around the bathroom.
  #624   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 10:47

BF:

Quote:
The reason I take CoQ10 300 mg and Vitamin C 1,500 mg is because they are antioxidants. As such there are many benefits, however the studies of these two, one fat soluble the other water soluble, would take a couple of decades to become statically significant among young, healthy volunteers.

https://intensivedietarymanagement....ns-and-calcium/

This in the comments on Dr. Fung's lastest post sticks out like a sore thumb for me. How do you prove something has any benefits, if it takes 20 years to see them, if they were there? This is a pretty good example of a hypothesis incapable of being disproven. If the benefit is unobservable, we're pretty much just buying lottery tickets. Comparable to statins. Even if they save the number of lives that is claimed--the effect is so small, the process so slow that you can't even point out which lives have been saved. For all you know they might save all of the people who would have died from heart disease without statins--and doomed an entirely different group of people. Put diabetes into remission through diet or fasting--at least you can point at an individual and say with reasonable certainty that they've been helped.

One good thing about interventions with little obvious effect--it's as hard to prove they're doing harm as it is that they're doing anything.

I'm not anti-supplement, I've gotten some obvious, repeatable benefit from supplementation with things like niacin and sodium/potassium, but that's the point, it didn't take me twenty years.
  #625   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 11:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
[url]One good thing about interventions with little obvious effect--it's as hard to prove they're doing harm as it is that they're doing anything.

Which is why my husband is taking CoQ10 - don't know if it's doing him any good, but it's not doing any harm, at least as far as we can see.
  #626   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 03:33

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
How do you prove something has any benefits, if it takes 20 years to see them, if they were there? This is a pretty good example of a hypothesis incapable of being disproven. If the benefit is unobservable, we're pretty much just buying lottery tickets.

"A difference that makes no difference, is no difference at all"
  #627   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 22:34

Plan: Bernsteinish
Stats: 314/231/199 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 72%

Incidentally, adding a lot of salt does indeed seem to make fasting waaaaaay easier. I just pour some on my hand and lick it off, tequila style, every couple hours.
  #628   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 11:21

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I have been using this salt tip as well. It has made a world of difference in how I feel while fasting. Megan Ramos talked about it in one of the podcasts. I let it sit on my tongue and dissolve before swallowing and chasing it with water.
  #629   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 07:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Megan Ramos is out doing a few podcasts with respected interviewers asking intelligent questions. Found this new one wth The KetoVangelist. Excellent, good explanations how IDM uses the various IF protocols.
https://www.ketovangelist.com/episo...its-of-fasting/

She advises again that 1/4 tsp salt ...still a lot for me to take at once, I get enough salt but spread it out and like it with broth. Gag under the tongue.

The recent KetoDudes one also good.
  #630   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 07:42
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I'm on a forced fast. Unable to chew on either side, and can't see the dentist until Tuesday.

Yesterday I warmed chicken broth, tossed in a can of chili and used the immersion blender on it. A bit grainy. but protein nonetheless. I also made savory jello using bone broth.

Not officially a fast according to the rules, but it feels like one.

Gotta do the salt thing.