Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-16, 19:36

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Carb Count Confusion

I'm having some confusion over carb counts. Induction is 20 carbs a day, but the DANDR SAYS 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of veggies.

I'd been using the Atkins web site tracker, and struggling to make 20 carbs a day. Those 3 cups just don't add up to 20 carbs. My weight loss has sort of crawled.

The book's daily suggested menu is pretty sparse. Once I just ate what the book suggested, I lost 3 lb. in a week - but it counts much less than 20 carbs.

I'm not sure what's right. I'm afraid I'm not being healthy about this.

Thanks,
Meredith
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-16, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Keto/LCHF
Stats: 237/181/173 Male 72 inches
BF:34%/22%/18%
Progress: 88%

Meredith, the actual carb count is not as critical as it seems. Atkins induction is designed to put most people in ketosis so usually a very low carb count like 20g or less will work, but some people can get by with taking more carbs (usually < 50g) while others need to take extreme measures and go even lower on the carbs or they must fast if they are to lose at all. Case in point, I can eat around ~100g and still experience the effects of ketosis.

As long as the keto-strips are showing positive for ketones you should be okay for induction. If you don't have any keto-strips, then I'd suggest getting some at least until you're able to recognize when your body is ketogenic. Also, if you're new to eating low carb, make sure you're getting enough electrolytes (sodium/potassium) or you may experience keto-flu symptoms for the first couple of days.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-16, 20:24

BF:

I've been doing this since end of May, and lost 12 lbs. Last week I joined this forum and was directed to DANDR instead of the latest book. Once I cut back my carbs, I lost 3 lbs. this week.

I don't have keto strips, the Atkins web site board all "pooh-pooh" them and said they don't work.

I'm so confused!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-16, 21:27

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

It sounds like you're doing it right. As long as you feel good, I wouldn't worry about being too low in carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-16, 21:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Those aren't your only carbs.
Do you use cream in coffee; eat 1/2 avocado per day, or eggs, cheese?
They all have a few carbs although not as much as veggies.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 05:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Meridith
DANDR Induction is the almost the as same "20g" clinic program I used. As Meme wrote, veggies aren't the only carbs...cream, cheese, eggs, avocado, all add up. As others wrote the exact number isn't that vital as it is so low you are almost guaranteed to be in ketosis. I agree the Ketostix are mostly useless, the clinic tells you are doing the diet correctly if you return in two weeks and no longer have food cravings, have periods in the day of just no hunger, etc.

Question? Does the Atkins app only give net carbs? If so, use something like My Fitness Pal instead and look at the total carbs. Eggs will show up as .6g etc, more accurate, though not necessary either.

Understand the normal pattern of weight loss, after the first month (we have similar stats and I also lost 12 pounds in a month) weight loss settles into 1-2 pounds a week.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...99&page=1&pp=15
Watch how your clothes fit, or take measurements and look for health improvements (better skin, lack of aches and pains, more energy, etc. ) along with The Ketostix you could throw out the scale, or work with it:

Quote:
Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health
We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 liters (or quarts) of the stuff, and each liter weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2-liter range. Within this range, your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a liter above or below its ideal fluid level.
What this means is that we all live inside a 4-pound-wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (i.e., plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve ‘gained’ 3 pounds for no apparent reason.
For people who weigh themselves frequently, this can be maddening. There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weigh yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day, and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week (i.e., the average or mean of 7 values).
If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new mean over the last 7 days. Each day you do this, you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation. And of course, for [free] there’s an iPhone ‘App’ that will do this for you

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (pp. 241-242). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jul-14-16 at 05:32.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 06:33

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hi Meredith! Excellent comments by everyone so far, but keep in mind you don't HAVE to eat 20g carbs. You can eat fewer and still be perfectly healthy.

Congrats on your success so far!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 07:08

BF:

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

I have been using half and half, avocados and low carb dressing. But also have been counting net carbs.. I guess I'm one who does best at lower than 20.

I do feel better, and am never hungry - my appetite has reduced, I eat when hungry. Once I dropped my carb count I finally lost some inches. Im THRILLED to be able to eat all the things I'd been forbidden in the past.

I'm very anal about doing things "by the rules" - which was always SO FRUSTRATING with Weight Watchers, the Grapefruit, Salad only, etc. diets. I exercise, and never cheat, and the pounds just hung there! I've been on diets since first grade!

The last week or so I hovered at around 15 net carbs, and that seemed to do it. I'll aim for that for a while and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again! Love this forum!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 07:08

Plan: Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/183/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi Hiltm... I also have been on the Atkins board and I do use their meal tracker as I personally like how it gives me custom bars for my protein, fat and carbs based on my stats but what I did find is that they are sticky on some things I am not sticky about and not so sticky on some things I am more sticky about. For instance, they insist you should get 15 net carbs from veggies per day on induction, and 15-20 net carbs from veggies after induction. After six weeks of this WOE I have settled into being happy with a 1/2 cup of veggies per meal, and up to two plates of salad (plain lettuce with olive oil and balsamic vinegar) per day. I am much more sticky on sugar alcohols and sweeteners than they are, the amount they let you consume is crazy if you ask me, for me, I want to keep them to the minimum possible and I do count them as carbs even though I am fairly certain my body doesn't absorb them (it's different for each person). Anyway, I think you are doing awesome and that you should feel FREE to decide what works for you in regards to Net carbs from veggies. Personally I feel they only made that minimum to make the diet look more "healthy" to critical outsiders and to stress that it is not merely a high fat/unlimited protein diet but I could be wrong....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 07:14

Plan: Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/183/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltm

I'm very anal about doing things "by the rules" -

The last week or so I hovered at around 15 net carbs, and that seemed to do it. I'll aim for that for a while and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again! Love this forum!

I am anal like this too but I would encourage you to experiment and document and make your own rules. For me, my body responds the same if I feed it 10 NC or 30... 800 cals or 1600 cals. It just refuses to let go of more than 2 lbs a week either way. You won't know this unless you eat according to your appetite each day, record everything and track EVERYTHING daily. If you are anal about rules, you will love doing this as I do I have a spreadsheet where I record the date, weight, exercise, water, calories, net carbs, TOM, BM's, and any new food I introduced to my diet. I only introduce one new food per week and only to a max of 5 net carbs per day.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 07:21

BF:

Also, my weight fluctuates so much, and I've always been cronically constipated, so I try to only weigh myself once a month. Otherwise, I'd really flip out.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 02:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here's a recent thread with Dr Westman's tips on constipation. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=473500&page=1

Since there is more and more about how important magnesium is to many bodily functions, and how low our water and diet is in this mineral now, magnesium tablets/powder are a good option in the evening.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 05:19

BF:

Jey100 - thank you for the magnesium info. I'd done some research after my post and read about trying that. I'm doing my due diligence and going to make this lifestyle work!!

Went out and bought some magnesium, took it before bed and WOW - the next morning it made a huge difference! I'm so glad, because constipation is what forced me to quit doing Atkins years ago. I was losing weight, but literally doubled over in pain. The doctor gave me various things, then told me to quit Atkins - "since it wasn't healthy anyway".

Funny how things change. Two of my doctors now are touting Atkins!