Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 12:30

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%
Default PP compared to Atkins?

This thread doesn't seem very active....has everyone abandoned PP? I was just on Amazon reading the reviews of the original PP book, and of the 400+ reviews most of them were overwhelmingly enthusiastic.

Some I'm wondering about your experience with this compared to Atkins. Easier, harder, takes longer, quicker results?

Is it worth switching to from Atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 12:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I found the book difficult to read--too technical. I really liked Atkins because it just made so much sense.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 13:14

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I posted on the PP several times as the plan made sense but I started on Atkins way back in '72 (you'da thunk I'd be skinny by now!) and I just can remember it better. I also have upped my fat ratio but I use my PP books for reference.

Last edited by JAnn : Tue, Mar-27-07 at 15:10. Reason: Poor spelling!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 14:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

I started with Atkins. Switched to PP about 3 months later. Funny, but I found Atkins too technical. lol. I had a hard time following OWL - adding 5 carbs/perday a week, knowing which foods to add when...and I did have a book to follow. I still use Atkins recipes. Not really suggesting one is better than the other but I like the science behind PP. I like that there is some flexibilty in the plan - although I lean tword the "purist" end of the spectrum. Lisa alwasy says she likes that you can get 80% of the benefits doing 20% of the reccomendations (its in the book) - and I think that is one of the best ways to explain the flexibility. I like that I can keep to a 30-40 carb range sort of evenly spread across my meals and snacks. I eat high on the fat (120-150 gram range)- nothing in PP suggests that you can't - in fact they point out that fat helps you absorb the nutrients from veggies and other foods with little to no fat.

This board my be less active because PP folks also have another message baord on the Eades site. Or maybe they just don't post as much, or are using other sites, or fewer folks use PP compared to the well known "Atkins" name. Not sure, but i do like the PP folks who post - they have been very helpful.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 15:34

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

For me, I prefer PP over Atkins for a few reasons:

1) I like how the Protein Power Life Plan book is about 95% health and only the last couple chapters deal with "weightloss". It really gives true perspective to me. This, of course, is in Atkins, too...but I like the Eades approach better.

2) For me, PP is less-restrictive. There's no eat this, don't eat that. It just gives you the 10 effective carb grams per meal (4 meals a day) and you can spend it however you want.

3) I think it is a little less drastic starting out. Maybe that means you won't lose as quickly? I don't know. For me, I like that better.

4) Ketosis is irrelevant. You might still be in it, but it is not something you worry about at all.

If you get the book and read it and want to give it a try, I say go-for-it. I do not think they are that dissimilar. For instance, I suffer the first 3 or 4 days with the "flu" symptoms, and then I am rewarded with appetite suppression. Bottom line? 40 grams of carbs per day (divided up so that it is never more than 10 at a time) or 20 grams of carbs per day. Either way, you're carb counting, and it's significantly lower than the average American diet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 16:28

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

In a sense, the differences between Atkins and the Eades is like that between two football (or other sport) coaches. They are playing the SAME game but each has a different approach to arriving at the same end.

I'll add more late when I have time.
Got a few moments now.

I always tell people that you MUST read BOTH books, PP (1995) and PPLP (Protein Power Lifeplan - 2000) to have the full picture of the Eades plan. Many think the later book, PPLP, is easier to read. They certainly learned from writing the first and even mention that in PPLP.

Besides being written from a different approach, it also shows that they are willing to change the plan as new research comes out. Half of the 400+ references in PPLP are after the first book was published. YES, it is heavy in the science, but written in a way that most people should be able to understand. They even help with a "Bottom Line" summary of each chapter at the end. This summary is short and to the point without the reasons behind the points being made (mostly).

Last edited by LarryAJ : Tue, Mar-27-07 at 19:47.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 17:14

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I love both what Drs Atkins and the Eades bring to the table, so to speak. I do admit to being greatly impressed with the science the Eades present; I feel I've learned so much about nutrition that I've left my healthcare team behind, in that regards lol. I really don't think anyone could go wrong with either approach, though.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 21:14

Plan: Atkins now PP/LifeWOBread
Stats: 268/268/150 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi
I am just starting back on LC after having had a break due to pregnancy etc. Back in 2004 I did Atkins before the pregnancy - I liked his explanations of how the insulin problems start. And I have just read PP and want to get a hold of PPLP to read too. I really liked how the Eades explained the science of it all. But I like knowing the whys of things and having good arguments to respond to detractors.

I feel like I am learning more than my doc knows about nutrition!

Atkins was not difficult for me to follow - the hard part with all LC is the bad habit changes (and a hubby do DOES NOT believe in LC). Looking forward to feeling better and getting into PP now.

cheers
Rosemary
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 12:44

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:

Having started back in 1998 with Protein Power, it wasn't until about a month ago that I read Protein Power Life Plan (on recommend from someone here) - I highly recommend it even if you've read Protein Power.

Hope you're enjoying your new little one!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I did Atkins back in the mid-90's. I overate protein (not realizing that protein isn't really unlimited) and didn't lose to where I wanted to. Switched to PP at that time, made it to my lowest weight ever. I never really felt that my cravings were under control, however, b/c I was eating problematic foods for me (grains, mostly) b/c the plan said I could have them. Still, with PP and lots of exercise, I maintained a pretty good weight for several years.

Fast forward a few years. Marriage, babies and depression brought my highest weight ever. I went back on PP and lost nothing in a month. GAve up. Saw new highest weight 1 year later.

Tried Atkins...I needed a plan taht did not allow problematic foods of any kind. Not leaving it to your choice, but saying NO WAY on the grains. I resolved to not overeat protein, remembering that protein was a problem before. I have lost back to weight where I though I was so fat all those years ago and started Atkins back then....

All that to say both plans are GREAT. PP was great for me b/c of the protein requirement (for me, it was a limitation of protein, since I tend to overeat it...) which was very helpful. Atkins is better for me b/c of the initial severe restriction on foods that are a problem for me, like grains and sugar (both of which are allowed on the old PP plan as long as you count them in your daily tally, and I was not strong enough to just eliminate them on my own like PPLP Purist. I had too much "choice" with PP/PPLP if that makes sense). That restriction has taught me how to get along without them.

I consider myself to be doing Atkins with PP/PPLP influence.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 07:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I follow Atkins, because that's where I started. I think the plan is simple, and his writing is both informative and enthusiastic. I own three different editions of Diet Revolution, the cookbook, and most recently, Vita-Nutrient Solution.

I've also thoroughly read Protein Power and PPLife Plan--appreciating the science and other information presented there. No such thing as too much information about nutritional interests. I have other LC books in my library as well.

Results occur when you adopt low-carb as a lifestyle. Regardless of the plan you start out with, the good ones all arrive at about the same place--and that place is tailored BY YOU to fit your body's responses and your taste preferences.

Enjoy the journey.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 12:14

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

From what I've learned so far, I think all of you make good points. I ordered several Eades books from Amazon, but thus far have received only one of them...the "30 Day Low-Carb Diet Solution." It has some basic but good info in it that I hadn't read in quite that way before. I looked at their meal plans and aside from some grain carbs, which I can't eat because I can't eat wheat at all, there also seems to be some limited fruit, which I like. I can give up sugar, live without grains, but zero fruit is hard to live with! I'm still doing Atkins but we'll see after I get the other Eades books. The info in them sounds like it will be good.

I still can't deny that the ONLY way I've ever lost substantial weight quickly and easily is with dear old Atkins!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 185/180/165 Female 5'10"
BF:31%
Progress: 25%

I really prefer PP over Atkins simply because you start with a more realistic carb amount. I don't feel as restricted with this plan, it's more about maintaining health. When you eat according to the PP plan you will lose weight & maintain a healthy body at the same time.

I also really like the explanations on cholesterol & why we need fats in our diet to maintain health. Also, the explanation about how sugar really changes your blood sugar levels & why sucralose is a better sugar choice than reg. sugar. I just learned a lot reading this book, probably more so physiologically than the Atkins Book.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 13:54
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm a little late posting to this thread, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I've been very impressed with PP, too, and am leaning toward adopting more of the Eades' approach. I love their very detailed, non-sensationalistic approach to physiology, and the fact that they're not afraid to reassess their positions based on new evidence--the mark of true scientists. Just reading them in the last couple of weeks makes me feel I have a much firmer grasp of what exactly goes on when we digest and process our food.

Don't know about quicker results either way--I think what Larry said above is probably right: They seem to be playing similar games but with different coaching styles. I like to drown in data because it helps me support my LC decision (I think if I'd been reading the Eadeses the first time through my doctor would have NEVER been able to talk me off LC), but others like firmer rules, with sufficient-but-not-overwhelming data to support them.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 15:44
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:

I like them both. PPLP has a lot of excellent information about various nutrients that DANDR doesn't get into, and PP incorporates evolutionary principles which IMO is essential to understanding human nutrition.

Atkins does a good job of explaining sugar metabolism in easy-to-understand terms for the beginner, and emphasizes ketosis, which has been essential for me in my nutritional journey.