Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-13, 11:21

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I want to start...but excersise actually scares me...a few hints?

So I know it sounds silly, but I do have a reason why excersise scares me. I recently had an issue with my back that left me bedridden for a week and I desperatly do not want to go back to that point. I am nearly pain free at this point, although sitting for extended periods of time (ie 1-2 hours) is not fun. Another issue that I currently have is we really can not afford gym expesses at this point so a gym/trainer is out of the question. So here is what I need. I want to start building muscle. I am already working at walking at least a bit more, but walking too much starts my back to acting up. I believe that focusing on my arms (to start while I wait for my back to heal) is going to be my best bet.

So I guess my question is this, knowing that we are a little strapped for cash, what would be my best bet to start weight training? I have read the threads that talk about getting weights that you can lift 3-5 times is the best option as opposed to light weight and a million reps. Am I better off getting "something" (ideas?) or should I just wait until a gym membership is an option?

To be 100% honest I have no clue what I am doing here...I do know that I need to make a change towards adding muscle mass so that I can look better at goal. I just have no clue how to start with the limits I currently have, I really want to baby my back but as it gets better and better the drive to add even more healthy actions to my life is overwhellming. We can afford small things, and youtube is a wonderful place to learn once you have a clue where you are going but I am just lost. Even my doctor has mentioned that I need to start working out now that I have lost nearly 25 pounds I just do not have a clue where to start. Even ideas of websites that I can look over or books (even better) would be a massive help.
Sponsored Links