Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 17:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/230/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Tai Chi, anyone?

Several years ago I purchased a Tai Chi book and DVD from one of those book sale stores--the kind that has all sorts of inexpensive publisher's overruns. This one features an Australian couple with thick accents demonstrating Tai Chi warm up and a simple form verrrrrry slowly (Tai Chi is supposed to be slow, but I think they make it even SLOWER).

I decided to try it and I'm really liking it. It's a little annoying because they face the audience and it's not meant to be mirror image--so they say move your right foot, they move their right foot on your left side. I found I had to learn it mirror image, and now I'm trying to learn it the way they intended so I can do it both sides. They wear bulky silk "pajamas" so it's kind of hard to see some of the body positions.

Anyway, this exercise really relaxes me, it's challenging enough to keep me interested, it feels good to move, and really seems to help when my back and hip are bothering me.

I just ordered a new DVD from a different tai chi teacher (David Dorian-Ross Tai Chi Beginning Practice) to see how that goes. His pace is certainly faster, from the sample I've seen.

Our Parks and Recreation department has classes, but they are ongoing, and I'm not sure I'm ready to try to catch up with an established class.

I was just wondering if others have had experiences with Tai Chi and how you like it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 17:47

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I love Tai Chi too. I found a 90-minute class too intense at my size - they would have you repeat the moves and hold sometimes and go more intense, when I was already maxed out. Oh well. I did like it a lot. And I liked the quality of movement of the instructors and the more experienced people.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 03:14
Bookworm

Plan: LC SCD 18/6
Stats: 178/154/133 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I've done Taoist Tai Chi in the past at local classes, i loved it and am thinking of returning to it - from my own experience it is much much easier to learn from a class than from a DVD.

If the whole 90 minutes is currently too much for you i'm sure the class teacher would be very understanding and let you sit out and just watch for some of the time - the teachers at my class were very good like that - we had someone who had back problems and unable to do the full class (their back improved a lot over time).

For finding Taoist Tai Chi classes in your area see: http://www.taoist.org
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 13:51

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yes, the instructor too was good about sitting out, but showed no awareness or experience or skill with a person carrying 150 extra pounds. I didn't want to be the one to teach him. Also there were no chairs. Overall not worth the 2 1/2 hours on 30 minutes of effective exercise. (including travel time)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 12:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/230/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm really liking the DVD's because I don't have to try to keep up appearances for anyone. I can just focus on the tai chi itself. But it's a little hard, since I don't know much about tai chi, and I'm finding it hard to get much from books and websites. I've started the David Dorian Ross DVD. He talks a LOT, sometimes interfering with my focus and relaxation. Not sure I like that approach.

One of the best things I've found is Al Simon's ChiFusion. He has some sample lessons (caution--if you subscribe to see the sample lesson prepare to be bombarded with emails selling his program!) and free YouTube videos and I've learned a ton from each one. BUT, his program is very expensive--if you don't buy it right away you get a 50% off offer, but it's still too expensive for my budget.

I've found that even practicing just 15 minutes a day is helpful. I get very relaxed and focused. On weekends when I have more time, I'll spend close to an hour, just focusing on posture, breathing, hand position, or whatever.

I also love that I can do this in my office (with the door closed), even sitting in a chair (I do just neck and shoulder warm ups and the arm movements) or in the evening when I have a few minutes. The aerobic and resistance stuff has to be done early in the day if at all (too tired later and it revs me up when I need to wind down if I wait until I'm rested enough), and I'm at my worst in the mornings.

I even go through my "form" at night when I'm brushing my teeth--it helps me relax for bed!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 22:52

Plan: SemiVegetarian Lower Carb
Stats: 335/323/150 Female 67 inches
BF:73%/73%/30%
Progress: 6%

I have two David Dorian-Ross Tai Chi dvd's. I like him. My kids and husband hate his voice, but I find it relaxing. LOL for years I did his a.m. practice every morning, and found it a great relaxing way to get moving in the morning. I live in kansas out in the middle of no where so there was no local classes that is why I chose the dvd. about 6 months ago I moved to a much larger town (a population of 3,000 people) and just read in the paper they have monthly Tai Chi classes at a local gym. I am pretty excited and plan to sign up for them this summer!