Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 08:50

Plan: pp
Stats: 179/179/140 Female 5"5'
BF:
Progress:

Great thread going here thanks to all of you.. sharthejoy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 13:47

Plan: induction
Stats: 330/325/230 Male 75
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hypnosis CDs are available for LCing from Tom Nicoli.
They are very good, I like them.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john8750
Hypnosis CDs are available for LCing from Tom Nicoli.
They are very good, I like them.

Still no spelling mistakes that I can see.... am I a bad speller too?
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 13:52
Registered Member

Smile podcasts

There are hypnosis podcasts available too from iTunes. Warning: if you've never got into the whole free podcast subscriptions on iTunes and burned CDs from all that's available there, be aware there's the possibility of a serious addiction to that activity. It's fantastic! And free.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 19:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharthejoy
JKMFrog, do you have PLMS as well? Getting off the sodium has realy helped my RLS, but i am finding i still have to take the requip for the periodical leg movment problem. I kidk like a mule at night , so my partner says.. lol.. Just wondering if in time getting off of salt will help that problem as well.. thanks for all the post.. sheila

sorry for the delay in responding. I don't check in here very often right now.

PLMS - yes, but very very infrequently these days. Had problems Saturday and Sunday this week, but know that it was related to the carbs and sugar off plan day I had.

Never have had problems with salt (still eat tons of salty stuff) and have nev er taken meds for the PLMS or the RLS although in the last two eyars I was still eating higher carb the RLS and PLMS was getting so bad I was having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I could not stay up past 8 or 9 at night to watch a movie the RLS was so bad...I was seriously considering meds. Then along came low carb...
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 19:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I went to a hypnotherapist for about three months and found it to be an overall positive experience. It worked great for reducing stress and relaxation. The only negative was that my hypnotherapist was very much against low-carbing, so eventually stopped going when I decided to start eating low carb.

I still use the relaxation exercises along with practicing self-hypnosis and NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programing). A really good book that provideds both hypnosis and NLP techniques for self-improvement is Change Your Life in 7 Days by Paul Mckenna.

Just an aside that I've used NLP techniques to improve my memory for spelling words (it was worse than it is now! LOL) and for improving my public speaking abilities and comfort level. I was a huge skeptic at first, but a former professor of mine recommended some books and the techniques really work! Never thought about it for weight loss...or other stuff...hummmm.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 01:26

Plan: induction
Stats: 330/325/230 Male 75
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default I'm on a roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
Still no spelling mistakes that I can see.... am I a bad speller too?

Dont know what to tell ya. I must be on a roll.
keep in touch.

#38   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 01:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/162/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I think you would do better to ask for extra strength of your commitments. That way it would help you stay with a diet plan and enhance your everyday life as well ,that way you would be sure to get your moneys worth.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 07:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 189/175/138 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 27%

Mathmaniac, have you used the hypnosis podcasts from itunes? For weight loss? Do they work? Sorry if this is sounding like an interrogation ... I'm signed up with itunes but have never really checked out anything like that. Didn't realise it was free!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 11:29
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabel
I'm signed up with itunes but have never really checked out anything like that. Didn't realise it was free!

I have put my credit card on iTunes and have an account with them since it requires a username and password. You're never required to buy anything. If you go to the Store (it's an option at the top of the page), there is a free song every week from a different up-and-coming group or artists. I always get the free tune and they ask me for my password for that but there is still no charge. I have bought a few tunes that I really wanted to make a 'mix-CD' with so it IS a temptation (a tune costs 99 cents, usually).
When you are in the Store, go to the podcast option (they have movies, TV, music, audio books, podcasts, etc.) Once you are in the podcasts, go to the self-help section (I think there's a list of categories on the left) and just start browsing all the podcasts. Or go to Health. There are weight-loss podcasts, fitness podcasts, running programs, music to walk or run or work out by, hypnosis, diet discussions (The Diet Detective is one). There are hundreds and hundreds of podcasts - close to a thousand, I reckon.
I get the American stories, The Classics read aloud, Poetry in various languages (if you are interested in learning a language, you will find the selections to be excellent for learning Chinese, Japanese, German, French, Italian and English, to start!) - I burn the CDs (Garrison Keillor Lake Wobegon podcasts are some of my favorites) and listen to them while shopping, waiting, or most important, walking.
When you find a hypnosis podcast (Michael White makes hypnosis podcasts and at least one addresses weight loss but all of them are good), you can download one to a CD of the type 'Music CD-R' in your computer's CD drive.
First, look at the list of episodes out there for Michael White's Hypnosis (just for an example). Click on one a couple of times and if you have speakers attached to your computer, you can listen to the podcast of that episode. That's free, of course. If you like that, go to the right on the line that lists that episode and click on the 'get episode' button (or whatever it says to get....) It will start downloading and you can see a little icon appearing on the far left, making little swirly arrows to show that it is downloading. It will download to a library that will appear in your music area (the place where you can create playlists) that is an intermediate library area called 'Recently Added....' When you click on that Recently Added library, you will see all the stuff you have picked. Then just drag them over to a playlist you create. They have the standard setup that allows you to make folders and then put playlists in them. I have a playlist just for hypnosis and one for fitness, one for French, one for Talk radio (NPR, WNYC, Dennis Miller, Bill Maher, etc...) Once you have a playlist containing your hypnosis stuff, you can click on the playlist and see all your episodes listed together. These are all free. If you buy an album or a song, it comes up and asks you for your password again.
Pop a Music CD-R in the CD slot of your computer. iTunes will come up and ask you if you want to burn a CD using that and you respond affirmatively. Then just click on the Burn CD icon in the lower right hand corner and wait while it copies your selected episodes to the CD. Then you use that CD in your CD player or just play it on your computer.
Whew! That's all I remember and I hope you can navigate your way through that. I found it a bit hard to figure out at first.
The best part of all this is that the podcasts are free. Free, free, free! Usually but not always, the speaker will point you to a website which is the place they try to make their money. But it is a surprisingly commercial-free atmosphere out there in podcast land.
If you like something (like Classic Tales, for instance, which is a podcast of stories read aloud), you just click on 'Suscribe' back at the store entry for the podcast. Every time they have a new episode, they will send it to your 'Recently Added...' area. Then you can just listen to it or put it in a playlist and burn a CD. By the way, I don't think you have to have it in a playlist to burn it. You could probably do that from the 'Recently Added... ' area. But I tend to group things and burn several CDs from time to time. I send them to friends.
If you don't use iTunes every day, the subscribed downloads can build up, I notice. I try to just keep iTunes open on my desktop and I check it once a day.
Good luck!
I have found the hypnosis stuff very relaxing and refreshing. It may be helping me with my diet but how would I know? I am dieting successfully and I do feel motivated. Maybe this support forum is the reason. Maybe my weekly trips to WW to weigh in are the reason. But the hypnosis stuff is reinforcing and relaxing. There are tons of podcasts that have to do with self-esteem and gaining confidence. 'Motivation to Move' is a good one by Scott Smith. He does some self-promoting but has a real radio voice and has a good manner so listening to him is really pleasant reinforcement to diet and exercise.
I don't want to forget to mention this: you can pop one of your own music CDs into your computer and upload the songs. Then, from 'Recently Added...' you can mix those songs in with others and the spoken word and make some interesting CDs. My kids used to do this for me and now I do it myself. I'm sending my daughter a bunch - she's away at college.

Last edited by mathmaniac : Wed, Oct-31-07 at 08:44.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/138/128 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

This may be unrelated. But I went to a hypnotherapist five times last year to help with bulimia. It was eye opening. Not sure if the actualy "hypnosis" worked but the lessons have lasted for awhile with me. Basically it helped me to see that i am a worthy individual and that all of this minor 'food' stuff is so miniscual when compared to the larger scheme of things. Life is short, and it helped me realize that with food I was only masking my true feelings because I was afraid to let them out. I still have a tape I listen to every night, basically just re-interating the fact that I am a worthy, strong individual

Just thought I'd share!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 15:58
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Brown, from what you say it probably did help. I think the biggest thing hypnosis *can* do is lower your mental resistance to new ideas. Sounds like your lessons took, which was the point.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 04:41

Plan: pp
Stats: 179/179/140 Female 5"5'
BF:
Progress:

WOW.. This is a great Thread here.. Heading over to i tunes to check it out.. Thanks to everyone.. sharthejoysheila
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 11:28

Plan: whey protein
Stats: 135/110/110 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmatrocks
Curious - has anyone has SUCCESS with hypnosis for ANYTHING? (smoking, diets, hobias, etc.)

I don't know about those "hobias" - "hobbies", "phobias"? Years ago, my hobbies were more work than my job sometimes.

There was a hypnotist show at the local Navy Base when I was 12, and my Dad (a Navy metereologist) and mother and I went to see it. I was eager and volunteered. The hypnotist couldn't get me hypnotized. Weird. I sat very still and listened to every word but I just didn't go under. The hypnotist laughed and explained that roughly 10% of the population actually can't be hypnotized. On the way home, my mother said to my Dad, "Well, that's what you get from continually feeding her quotes like 'Walk softly and carry a big stick', 'The only thing we have to fear is fear itself', 'Give me a few good men and...' and 'Stay alert, stay alive.'"

Many years later I tried to learn self-hypnosis from a book, but I didn't feel like anything was happening. I don't even trust myself.

On a brighter note though, I'm sure I was instantly hypnotized by Robert Plant in Led Zeppelin.

Last edited by csusie : Sun, Jan-13-08 at 14:11.