Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/176/145
BF:
Progress: 30%
Unhappy HELP with blister / shoes?

This is silly for an exercise forum, but I'm stumped.

I've been on Atkins for seven weeks, feel great, plateau'd but oh well.

About two and a half weeks ago I started walking every morning, uphill 1.5 miles and back home (after 12 yrs of NO exercise, this is MAJOR!). I was getting to REALLY enjoy it, except wearing scruffy old Keds was hurting my knees and ankles. So, I invested in a $80 pair of New Balance walkers.

Put them on, started walking and they felt FABULOUS - I felt a blister get started on the right in the first two blocks, but plugged on anyhow, because these are GOOD shoes and I'm happy to be doing my walk. When I got home the blister on my right heel was 1.5" in diameter.

That was three days ago. I can't find anything to cover the blister, and I can't walk with shoes on at all. I'm sidelined, it's depressing, and I feel my hardwon stamina and determination slipping away. Does anyone have any suggestions for the following:

1) How do I cover and anesthetize the blister so I can walk again, the sooner the better?

2) I love the shoes, and they are comfortable in every part of my foot except for that little bit of movement on the right heel when I walk. Is there some way to, I don't know, pad this or add some filler or something? I tried lacing that shoe extra tight, and it only cut off the circulation.

I don't want to go back to the paper-thin Keds. My knees weren't happy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:47

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I would return the New Balance for a different pair. I purchases a pair of New Balance Crosstrainers about two weeks ago...I ended up getting the 606's. They felt great...BUT...after wearing them once to work out in, I developed a blister on my pinkie toe on my right foot. I took them back and traded them for a pair of New Balance 609's which looked almost identical and are so comfortable, I am glad I made the effort to exchange them.

Either the pair you have doesn't fit, or there is something rubbing to cause the blister. With the distance you are walking, no way it is the walking that is causing it.

L
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Blisters are caused by the feet moving inside the shoe and rubbing against the shoe fabric.

New Balance are designed for wide feet. I wear NB 2E. If your foot is slipping side-to-side inside the shoe, it's too wide. If your heel is slipping upwards, it's too long a shoe.

There are plenty of blister pads available at drugstores. Sometimes you get relief by cutting a hole in the insert over the blister.

Some models of NB are wider than others. I use the trail shoe. I wear thin socks under a thick pair that I cut the toes out. That gives me extra support in my instep and heel while letting by toes have some wiggle room.

Sometimes blisters are caused by feet getting wet. One solution might be spraying your feet with antiperspirant before walking. A study in the army showed the new recruits had fewer blisters by doing that.

Sometimes blisters are caused by your feet swelling inside the shoes. That usually means not enough electrolytes but it could just be shoes that are too tight.

If you don't mind real pain, there is a cure for the blister. You can buy Tincture of Benzoin at the drugstore. As cleanly as you can, pop the blister and drain the fluid, then (here comes the pain) you drip tincture of benzoin into the drain hole work it into the blister. It hurts A LOT but only for a minute. When it stops hurting the blister is sealed.

It's a common treatment used during the EcoChallenge. Also Navy Seals and Special Forces use it. I've used it on a dozen blisters. It always amazes me how much it hurts and it always amazes me how it instantly fixes a blister.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 13:40
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi SezMarcy

I have the blister problem every spring and every time I get a new pair of runners - guess I'm a real tenderfoot. This year I put about 5 elastoplast bandaids on top of each blister and manged to walk - I am always ok after the first blister heals. Since I am so prone to blisters I try to always keep some elasoplasts in my pocket when walking.

Someone (I think it was MarimbaMom) suggested I try moleskin on the blisters but mine were undercontrol so I didn'ttry it yet. I've never used moleskin but I would think you get it at the pharmacy.

Hope they heal soon it's such a drag to be held up by blisters when you're rarin to go.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 23:21

Stats: 189/176/145
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Wow thanks!

Lots of good ideas here.

The shoes feel like they fit great -- I might try that extra sock thing on just the right foot which might be a hair smaller or something. The left foot feels wonderful; I hate to give up immediately. And maybe the moleskin too. Unfortunately I cut the dead skin away, right before my runner daughter told me "don't EVER do that!" Big mistake, the air is killin' me.

As for "If you don't mind real pain, there is a cure for the blister. You can buy Tincture of Benzoin at the drugstore".. um.. have you given birth? ;-) It's been awhile, but I'm thinkin' I can stand a minute of anything.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :-)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 09:05
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

If you've cut away the blister's roof then all you need to do wash/dry the blister base. Then dip a q-tip in tincture of benzoin and rub it into the exposed blister. Tincture means alcohol so that's where the pain comes from. Once it dries you're ready for your first marathon. :-)