Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 07:52

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%
Default DarkLotus' Gym Log

Ok, I thought I'd start a gym log to keep my babbling about the scale, measurements, and life in general seperate from my workout routine which may be boring to some. I work out with my dad (who's a type II diabetic about to start doing Dr. Bernstein's diabete's solution plan). We lift weights together five times a week. We use dumbells, a cheap weight bench, and our treadmill. I have been working with weights since I started Atkins in April, but I intensified it much more when I started using the bench and having my dad spot for me too.

This week we have been trying out a few new exercises I got from abcbodybuilding.com. Last night we both did squats, it was a whole new level of pain, muscles I guess we haven't used yet. Owww! I'm still walking funny, cowboy-like. I tried to do my cardio after, my legs hurt too much and I had to stop.

I will probably update this again later once I finish today's workout. Goal today: get in at least 20 minutes of cardio and finish 3 sets of squats. I see an owwwie in my future tonight!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 06:51

I made all of my goals last night. Cardio was tough though, because my thighs are still screaming. We upped our benchpresses by 15 pounds last night, I got six reps done and had to stop. I need to get some 5 pound plates instead of the 7.5 ones so that adding weight isn't so drastic. My dad found out yesterday that his blood sugar is half of what it was before he started working out with me.

Today's goal: 2 miles on the treadmill and 2 sets of side raises at 20# (the first set at 15#).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 07:49

I had a good amount of strength last night and had a good workout. Some days I just don't feel strong at all, other days I feel like I could lift quite a lot. I did my side raises like I wanted to. I even did almost another whole set of those benchpresses at the heavier weight, total of 85 pounds. Squats weren't that painful, I walked like a cowboy all night, but the glutamine helped while I slept and I feel better today, not as sore as the past 2 days. I didn't make 2 miles on the treadmill, I walked 20 minutes (1 mile) with a 8% max incline. Oddly, the incline was less painful than than no incline at all. I need to work on my cardio some more this week.

Goal today: do cardio FIRST so that I get it all done!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 06:35

I made my goal of doing all of my cardio, I didn't get to do it first though, but I did all 40 minutes of it. It felt good. This is the first time all week I haven't been sore from squats. I think my legs are finally adjusted a little and accepting the torture! Weight lifting was tough yesterday when I got to my sets that I use my 25# dumbells for. My dad wanted to up the benchpresses again by 5 pounds, I gave it a shot, not wanting to be called a wussy! I did 8 at 90 pounds reps before I failed and dropped the bar on my chest. Ouch.

I think starting monday I am going to try some crunches after my cardio on my new exercise ball. Currently, I don't do abs at all (bad I know) but I do feel them burn and get sore when I run. I talk about incorporating abs but never do it. I am really going to try to do it and make it the final part of my routine.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 07:44

Once again, I'm all talk and no action I didn't start doing crunches yet. Not that I don't want to, my workouts have been sort of rushed this week. My father is starting before I even get home and I'm scrambling to keep up so I can spot for him. I also do more exercises and reps than he does and at heavier weights, so trying to hurry is exhausting me quick. I told him I was doing my cardio first yesterday. I got the head start on lifting yesterday, and it worked very well. Plus, when I do my cardio first, I can run a bit. After lifting

Changes from my last post: I upped the weight on the squats to 55 pounds. It isn't bad at all now. I actually lost a whole inch on my upper thigh over the last 2 weeks. I credit the squats for it. I am still doing all of my other exercises with a progression from 15, to 20, to 25 pounds. The 15 pounds are getting too easy, I am debating whether to increase the number of sets so that I use the 20's and 25's or whether I should just shoot for the 30's and slowly incorporate them.

My dad is also upping the weights on the benchpresses again. I give it a shot for ha-ha's, to see if I can do it. He has upped it twice this week, first from 85 to 90 pounds, and last night from 90 to 105 pounds. I am doing fine at 90, but the 105 I could only do 5 reps. I think it's just too much too fast. So, I'll just do those as an extra if I have the strength to do 'em. DOMS is killing me today though!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 08:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Hi Nat, I saw that you mentioned you had some glutamine, creatine, dextrose, & whey protein after a workout. What does the dextrose do? I have also been toying with the idea of adding creatine as well, I read trainerdan says it's just fine for women. My reservation is the bloating I read it can cause, do you find that to be so?
Hi there, toots Figured if I answered in here it wouldn't get lost and you'd see it sooner.

The dextrose is something I do post workout for a controlled insulin spike, to neutralize cortisol and get me all anabolic again. It's a hold over from my CKD workouts - most programs like BFL suggest you use a high G.I. fruit for this, but learning about the CKD I came to understand that fructose is not the best choice for this as it does not cause as much of a rise in insulin - it replentishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen. Dextrose and maltodextrin are one step removed from glucose which makes them a better alternative; so I eat candies after I workout. Not for everyone, I know... but I also discovered doing the CKD that I am truly not a carb addict.

I started the creatine during TOM when the scale was up a few lbs and I didn't load it. That was about 3 weeks ago. The scale pretty much stayed the same (already up n bloated somewhat) but that was it - it has since come back down, and judging from how clothing is fitting I would bet that if I stopped with the creatine I'd be down 3 or 4 lbs right now. I can usually judge bloating based on how my rings fit; they never got 'tight' or uncomfortable. I have noticed strength gains since taking it, and it's something I will keep using (cycling however as per instructions).

FYI, there is a non-bloating creatine on the market now, I'm pretty sure it's called "TRAC". I've seen it discussed at abcbodybuilding.com and I've seen ads for it in Muscle Fitness Hers and Oxygen -it is aimed at women, not surprizingly

I'm glad my pain and DOMS is inspiring someone! Keep up the good work - I think it's great you're working out with your dad but I can sympathise with having to wait to use the equipment, I hate that part about sharing!

Cheers,
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 08:04

Thanks Nat, as always, great info and advice!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 07:49

I have been sick with the flu since last Friday and had been resting. Yesterday was the first day I felt well enough to get back to working out. Lifting was extra hard after nearly a week off, but I expected that. I hate taking more than two days off. I did complete everything I set out to do, even with the heavier dumbells that I thought I'd never make it through.

I finished with 30 minutes of cardio, I experienced that endorphin rush that some people speak of, it was cool, kinda like a natural high...first time I ever noticed it. It certainly made doing my cardio easier. I felt like I could have done another half hour, but I didn't want to push myself too far on the first day back. I also noticed something else while doing treadmill yesterday, that I don't have any more fat that touches on my torso anymore. Not saying there's no fat, just no rolls!

Gotta educate myself some more on muscle names, locations, and exercises so I can detail what I'm doing better.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 06:57

Yesterday's workout wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. It started off well, I upped the weight on my squats from 55 to 70 pounds, no problem. Actually felt good. A muscle up in my right shoulder started getting sore during benchpresses, so I couldn't push it too far. I felt my triceps burn a few hours after working out, usually don't feel it.

Today is going to be cardio day. I plan to get on the treadmill and see how long I can go for. Then maybe I'll get brave and try some crunches on my exercise ball if I am not wiped from the treadmill. I have the new issue of muscle & fitness hers (I like that magazine) and it has lots of good exercises you can do on a ball. I may also try some walking lunges I heard about, you walk slow on the treadmill and do lunges, sounds like something to mix things up a bit.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 08:30

I had some chaos in my personal life with my friends staying over all weekend, so I didn't get to work out at all until last night. I felt deprived and angry about not being able to work out.

My dad finally found out what's wrong with his foot. Turns out he fractured his foot working out! We're just glad it's not something more serious and diabetic-related. He is six and a half feet tall, so when he uses the weight bench to do leg extensions, his feet hit the ground before he completes the exercise. He was slamming his foot very hard when he did it, he doesn't notice cause he can't feel his feet. I tried and tried to tell him he was going to injure himself, but of course he didn't listen. So, now he's going to have to wear a boot for 3 months. He still insists on working out with me even with his fractured foot
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 07:17

I had a good work out last night. I did everything I set out to do, curls, tricep extensions, side raises, benchpresses, everything. I got back to all the weights I was doing before I got the flu, so back to normal now. I even got in half an hour of cardio! For some unknown reason, my knees are sore.

My dad and I have decided that we have to buy a rack of some sort to make doing squats easier. He's too tall for me to pass the weights to, and the heavier we go, the harder it is for me to lift it to his shoulders...he's 6' 6" and I'm only 5' 8" So we're gonna go up to the Sports Authority and try to find one for his xmas present. He also wants to look at a bowflex.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 06:39

I just realized that I haven't been updating my gym log as much as I should be. I have been exercising, sometimes only 4 x a week, with all the holidays and work being so chaotic. I have been slacking on cardio, but the past week I have been making a concentrated effort to get it done. It makes my knees feel less stiff too.

My dad and I did pick out a piece of equipment and we love it! The best thing about it is that it has a squat rack. We had to be sure to get one that was tall enough for my dad though. It makes doing things so much easier! It also has a lat tower, leg extension accessory, and one of those cable things you do rows on (not sure what it's called).

I tried something new the past two days, sumo squats. It was a whole new level of pain! After doing those, I realize I must not be exercising those muscles at all. So, now I have added them to my daily routine. I try to mix things up so my body doesn't get used to my routine.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 07:13

Default C1W1D1

Ok, I have officially started BFL, day one is over and done with and I feel like I got run over with a steamroller! I had the impression before I began that BFL wasn't going to be much different than what I was already doing, I was wrong! It does take me the same amount of time to complete the workout, but I am changing weights and exercises a lot more than I was.

My father decided to give it a try as best as he can, he has a cast on his broken foot and insists on working out anyways. He can only do UBWO with me and he can do squats too. Everything else he can't do.

So, yesterday morning I sat and planned my first workout, it took me like 45 minutes to get it right My mom kept peeking over my shoulder, when I was done I showed her she said "you can't do ALL that!" but we did. This is what we did in order of doing them:

SHOULDERS:
side raises: 12 R ~ 15#
seated db press: 10 R ~15#
seated db press: 8 R ~ 20#
seated db press: 6 R ~ 25#
standing bb press: 12 R ~ 45# (this turned out to be too heavy)
side raises: 12 R ~ 20#

BACK:
wide grip pulldowns: 12 R ~ 30# (need to up starting weight)
wide grip pulldowns: 10 R ~ 40#
rev. grip pulldowns: 8 R ~ 30# (will start ~ 40# next time)
rev. grip pulldowns: 6 R ~ 40#
rev. grip pulldowns: 12 R ~ 50#
wide grip pulldowns: 12 R ~ 50#

BICEPS:
standing bb curls: 12 R ~ 45# (my dad insisted we up the weight it was way too heavy as we progressed)
standing bb curls: 10 R ~ 50#
standing bb curls: 8 R ~ 55# (could only do 2 in proper form)
preacher curls: 6 R ~ 45#
preacher curls: 12 R ~ 50#
preacher curls: 12 R ~ 55#

TRICEPS:
db extensions: 12 R ~ 15#
close grip pushdowns: 10 R ~ 20#
close grip pushdowns: 8 R ~ 30#
db extensions: 6 R ~ 20#
close grip pushdowns: 12 R ~ 40#
db extensions: 12 R ~ 25#

CHEST:
db bench press: 12 R ~ 45# (easy, started here to get to 105)
db bench press: 10 R ~ 60#
db bench press: 8 R ~ 75#
db bench press: 6 R ~ 80#
db bench press: 12 R ~ 90# (usually do 20 R, so not so hard)
db bench press: 12 R ~ 105# (not as hard as when I do 20 R)

So there it is! Any advice or criticism would be most appreciated! I also picked up some of that TRAC creatine yesterday too, it's lemony and yummy, and expensive as hell! Hope it works well

Today is cardio day, should be a piece of cake, I plan to run for the last five whole minutes, instead of sprints of one minute. I hope I can do it!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 07:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there, Toots! congrats on day 1 Know that 'ouchie' feeling all to well. It's something you start to crave afte a while if you're a bit of a masochist like me!

Question for you, are you doing a modified workout based on some input from someone, say a personal trainer ?

And pleast let us know how you find the TRAC - quite curious about it.

Nat
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 07:45

Hi Nat! Nope, I'm just doing exercises from the BFL book, some from abcbodybuilding.com (I love that site). I thought about a trainer, but having my dad watch my form helps a lot, he nags me if I start to waver any but, I do that to him too!

I also buy M&F Hers, which has some different exercises I want to try as I go too. Did I compile everything right? Should I change anything other than what I noted for weights? I just want to get the format down so I don't get into a bad habit or a workout that isn't set up the way it should be.