Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default excercise

Just curious...for those of you that lost some weight before implementing a serious excercise routine...How did introducing the excercise effect your weightloss. Did your scale hold steady for a bit, then move down again. Did you gain? Did you see no interruption? Let me say that I KNOW it's good for you and will change my body shape and make me leaner...I'm just wondering what other people experienced. If you gained or stalled on the scale...did you take it in stride or get annoyed? Thanks for any feedback.

(Part of me is mentally preparing to have a stall or gain because of muscle gain...and I know that's good...I just want some positive feedback to read when I have to see it reflected on the scale...laughing)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:40

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

If you're going to lose weight and KEEP it off, you have to exercise, an hour a day is ideal, but any movement you can get in is great, walking, running, gym, etc. Weight loss is usually in spurts, giving our bodies time to adjust to the change. Also, take measurements when you start, keep track, and re-measure every month, you'll see that you lose weight, then inches, or vice versa, and sometimes you'll lose inches and not see movement on the scale, but just keep it up, it all evens out in the end.

I keep track of measurements on Excel, along with weight. I measure:

Bust
Waist
Hips
Upper Arm
Forearm
Upper Thigh
Above Knee
Calf

Though I'm presently stalled, I consider this normal and continue to work out daily and watch my food intake on www.fitday.com.

Good luck!

LL
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:44

Plan: Atkins since Sep 2003
Stats: 145/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I never saw an increase in weight - during OWL I continued to lose weight even though I had added more carbs ( fruits, vegetables, nuts more cheese & a 6 0z cup of yogurt every day). Excercising allowed me more to eat more healthy carbs. I fht e scale didn't move, I was still losing inches.

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Whole Foods Diet
Stats: 193/133.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 103%

I did some exercise when I first started lcing and then halted for about a month, picked up cardio again earlier this year and then added the weights (& more strenuous cardio) in again about 6 weeks ago. When I changed my routine this last time, I did see a slight bump up on the scale but could see (visually) my body changing for the better. It took a few weeks to get that 2# back off but now the scale is moving regularly again and I've more than worked past that. I also went down another clothing size since I started working out.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 19:56
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Exercise has brought my appetite back. A lil too much some days, hehehe.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:03

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%

i just started doing about 30-40min of cardio a day, and have noticed that im having a hard time keeping my weight where its at, its very hard to keep from gaining.. plus my stomach has been getting much bigger.. i dont know whats wrong and i dont know whether i should keep up the exercise or not. My stomach poking out more and more and looks awful.. it seems like the harder i exercise the bigger it gets?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
i just started doing about 30-40min of cardio a day, and have noticed that im having a hard time keeping my weight where its at, its very hard to keep from gaining.. plus my stomach has been getting much bigger.. i dont know whats wrong and i dont know whether i should keep up the exercise or not. My stomach poking out more and more and looks awful.. it seems like the harder i exercise the bigger it gets?

SWITCH TO RESISTANCE TRAINING!

I'm serious.

Cardio can elevate cortisol levels, which makes you hang on to BELLY fat.

Restistance training causes an elevated metabolic rate for the rest of the day, and also builds more muscle, which also raises metabolic rate.

I started lifting about a month after I did induction. I was also running at the time, but I have gradually cut WAY back on my cardio because I learned that it was actually interfering with my fat loss.

I know the amount of cardio necessary to do this varies tremendously from one person to the next, but for me, the more cardio I did, the hungrier I got AND the fatter I got.

When I started lifting, I broke my stall and kept it going. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat, but it takes a LOT longer to put on muscle than it does to drop fat. If you gain weight when you start doing exercise and you're still fat when you start, TRUST me, it's not muscle.

And I find it a LOT easier on my body than trying to do an hour of cardio every day. I lift 3-4 days a week for an hour at a time, and throw in some recreational cardio as the weather permits.

That's it.

Try to keep your fats higher if you find you're gaining weight - your ratios might be a little off, and this usually fixes it, for me anyway. Helps keep the appetite from building up.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
SWITCH TO RESISTANCE TRAINING!

I'm serious.

Cardio can elevate cortisol levels, which makes you hang on to BELLY fat.

Restistance training causes an elevated metabolic rate for the rest of the day, and also builds more muscle, which also raises metabolic rate.

I started lifting about a month after I did induction. I was also running at the time, but I have gradually cut WAY back on my cardio because I learned that it was actually interfering with my fat loss.

I know the amount of cardio necessary to do this varies tremendously from one person to the next, but for me, the more cardio I did, the hungrier I got AND the fatter I got.

When I started lifting, I broke my stall and kept it going. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat, but it takes a LOT longer to put on muscle than it does to drop fat. If you gain weight when you start doing exercise and you're still fat when you start, TRUST me, it's not muscle.

And I find it a LOT easier on my body than trying to do an hour of cardio every day. I lift 3-4 days a week for an hour at a time, and throw in some recreational cardio as the weather permits.

That's it.

Try to keep your fats higher if you find you're gaining weight - your ratios might be a little off, and this usually fixes it, for me anyway. Helps keep the appetite from building up.

thanks man.. guess its time for a gym membership
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
thanks man.. guess its time for a gym membership

You're welcome!

And I'm not a man:
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:58

oh my bad! lol
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
oh my bad! lol

N/P! You actually made my day!

- Built
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 22:35

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%

I'll be sure to add you to me "List of women who can beat me up", you could crush my skull with your lats

Built, tell me, do you think the reason I have not lost the minimal fat I have left around my waist is because my cortisol levels are messed up from doing Cardio 6 days a week? I am on a CKD right now, by the way, so my cardio is going to drop drastically.

I asked this on another forum on here, but do you reccomend I use a cortisol controller, such as Relacore, Cortislim or DHEA?

Thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 22:58

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Ladycode,
I didn't do much in the exercise line until recently. I started walking, nothing more. I was so out of shape that I started with 1/2 mile twice a week, now I'm 2 miles four times a week. Even with that small amount (1/2 mile), I noticed the scale drop a little bit 2 days after I walked. Even that little amount helped to keep me motivated.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 23:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdzio
I'll be sure to add you to me "List of women who can beat me up", you could crush my skull with your lats

<blushes shyly>
"Oh, stop!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdzio
Built, tell me, do you think the reason I have not lost the minimal fat I have left around my waist is because my cortisol levels are messed up from doing Cardio 6 days a week? I am on a CKD right now, by the way, so my cardio is going to drop drastically.

I asked this on another forum on here, but do you reccomend I use a cortisol controller, such as Relacore, Cortislim or DHEA?

Thanks.

Dunno. It IS possible, though. 6 days of cardio is REALLY catabolic to muscle tissue. I'd seriously consider spending more of that time on your lifting.

I don't know a THING about the cortisol controllers - I've only JUST started hearing about them, but if and when you try one, please post it in your journal and fire me a PM to let me know how it's working for you.

And meltingfst -

That's AWESOME progress!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:22
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thanks for all the feedback folks! I'm sticking with my tape so far...OW...ow...ow (laughing) and feel good about it. My scale hasnt budged for about 5 days now and I know part of that is my TOM is due sometime in the next few days...so I've got that and excercise that might be stalling me a bit. Hopefully, next week I'll see some movement again. I've decided that regardless...I really liked the legs I had when I used to do this video...the only time in my life I ever actually liked them...so I'm determined to get them again!