Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 14:49

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Ketosis and adrenaline

I've been in ketosis for about three days and today I was extremely high strung + couldn't relax until I made myself eat an apple. This kind of thing has happened to me before. Does anyone else experience a ketosis -> speed effect?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 17:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Sometimes, it can make me jittery , like I have drunk too much coffee. I found something fatty like cheese, or peanut butter calms me down.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 21:28

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Start exercising when the speed effect occurs. Or clean the house.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 07:49

Plan: zero carb now
Stats: 130/124/124 Female 4ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysoda
I've been in ketosis for about three days and today I was extremely high strung + couldn't relax until I made myself eat an apple. This kind of thing has happened to me before. Does anyone else experience a ketosis -> speed effect?

Hi jellysoda...Ketosis is necessay. Do not stop it. Every time you consume to many carbs, you will have to start over. It takes about a week to feel good while in ketosis. In the mean time, drink water, water, and more water to flush the fat from your kidneys. You should also take a couple of potassium a day. They will keep you from having headaches. Take two magnesium also, it will help you and your muscles relax.
Read this, it will help you understand Ketosis
http://www.biblelife.org/ketosis.htm
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I only wish it happened to me!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 04:31

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

I read in the "biblelife" thread that:
Normal ketosis stabilizes blood glucose within a normal range and prevents the breakdown of healthy muscle tissue.
I have read things like these often, but until now have nowhere seen anything that actually ehm... "officially proves this".

How can I be certain that by doing low carb, I am indeed only burning my fat reserves, but not touching what little muscle mass I have left?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 10:21
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:

I remember this from my very first week on Atkins Induction. By about day three or so, same thing as you're describing. It went away though, and this effect only lasted about a day - I tend to think that it has something to do with the transition to burning more ketones or something like that. (not very scientific here, sorry). Basically, it felt like too much coffee or something - but like I said, totally temporary.

I remember getting up at 3:00 am and cleaning my place. Figured I'd just use the energy. By the next day, the 'too much coffee' effect was gone. Still had lots of nice energy from low-carb, but not the 'too much coffee' feeling.

If this happens again - do what Dodger suggested - clean your house or do some exercise.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 12:21

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:

You named this thread "ketosis and adrenaline". What makes you think you get high strung because of adrenaline? Maybe you get high strung because you're now full of energy and don't know what to do with it? After all, ketosis means that you now have one extra kind of fuel (ketones) to rely on.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-10, 14:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
You named this thread "ketosis and adrenaline". What makes you think you get high strung because of adrenaline? Maybe you get high strung because you're now full of energy and don't know what to do with it? After all, ketosis means that you now have one extra kind of fuel (ketones) to rely on.

when im in ketosis it feels like a constant adrenaline rush. also, i think you guys are getting it wrong... ketones (spec. acetone) = byproduct of breaking down fat, but doesnt serve as the fuel itself. acetone =/= food.

ive given up on the ketosis thing. it's too uncomfortable for me. bleh. i've been dirtying up my carnivore with things like chocolate. yummm, chocolate.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-10, 15:58

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
when im in ketosis it feels like a constant adrenaline rush. also, i think you guys are getting it wrong... ketones (spec. acetone) = byproduct of breaking down fat, but doesnt serve as the fuel itself. acetone =/= food.

ive given up on the ketosis thing. it's too uncomfortable for me. bleh. i've been dirtying up my carnivore with things like chocolate. yummm, chocolate.

Of course ketones don't serve as the fuel itself. None of the substrates serve as the fuel itself. The fuel we use is adenosine tri-phosphate or ATP. However, ketones, fatty acids, glucose and protein can all be converted to ATP by almost all cells. Some can only use glucose. We didn't invent ketosis so if somebody got it wrong, it ain't us.

Maybe ketosis feels like a constant adrenaline rush because ketones are about 30% more efficient than other fuels? To put it another way, when you use ketones instead of glucose for example, you have about 30% more energy for the same amount of fuel, or you perform 30% more work for the same amount of fuel.

But look, if ketosis is too uncomfortable for you, then that's it for that. No need to add any other argument. Enjoy your chocolate.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-10, 16:09
Experimenter

BF:

Some ketones are acetone, but apparently they come in different varieties. And yes, some ketones are used for energy.

http://www.websters-online-dictiona...one+Bodies.html

Quote:
Ketone bodies are certain chemicals produced mainly in the liver; they provide much of the energy to heart tissue and during starvation also to the brain. In Type 1 diabetes, excessive ketone bodies can accumulate in the blood, causing diabetic ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-10, 17:47

BF:

ahh nancy you are right, as usual. that is some serious biochemistry and i even pulled out a text book. double yum.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-10, 20:26

Plan: Paleo - VLC
Stats: 163/175/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: -52%

Just wanted to chime in that I also get the ketosis-energy burst, but the annoying part only lasts a few days. I just know I won't sleep my first few nights. After that, however, my mood is much better than normal.

I actually prefer ketosis to a non-ketosis state. Is this normal?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-14, 10:48

Plan: Custom
Stats: 165/170/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Default Feeling the same effect

I know it's been years since the original post, but I wanted to let other people who are entering ketosis know that one more person expeirenced this effect.

Three days ago I began a ketogenic diet, and have been developing an immensely strong adrenaline rush. Last night I could hardly sleep, and had nightmares (which I get extremely rarely). I woke up feeling like I had too much coffee (even though I do not drink caffeine).

I hope this will settle down after a day or two, as this does not feel like a healthy state to be in.

I've been on a low-carb diet for quite a while, but three days ago started a diet intended to be ketogenic (high fat, adequate protein, very low carbs).

Someone mentioned increasing calories to mitigate this adrenaline rush. I wanted to mention that I am eating excess calories (my weight goal is to gain muscle mass), so I don't think increasing calories will help.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-14, 12:08
Experimenter

BF:

You can always lower the ketosis. It isn't an on/off switch, it is more like a sliding switch. Just experiment adding a few more carbs until you find a range that feels good. I know I can go up to around 50 total carbs (30 net) and still be in pretty good ketosis. You may adjust over time, but until then raise the carbs a bit. Hopefully you'll be intelligent about it and add carbs in the form of veggies or a little low sugar fruit (berries), not processed or grain-based crap.