Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 18:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/176/160
BF:
Progress: 16%
Thumbs down "feeling Terrible"

I have been on the induction for a month now...I am 42 yrs of age (male). I am not really over wieght...I just wanted to loose a big belly...I started out ~175 lbs and am now ~ 165 lbs. I am 5'9.
I go to Denneys every morning and have "the Ultimite Omlete and an order of bacon with REAL coffee (black) . for lunch I have had a salad with chicken meat from a local fast food joint and two burger patties. For dinner I will have a good sized steak and a veggie. I have not cheated at all...I could have done better with the drinking water rule...but I feel I have done ok.

I went through and enjoyed the surge on energy within two weeks of induction. NOW I am VERY IRRiTABLE around my wife and others...I have little patience...

For the last two days I have felt so weak, I must either get off the diet or find out what I am doing wrong...

Should I start eating more veggies? or carbs? I must have overdone the induction phase...

Brad Wallace
Edwardsville, ILL.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 19:15

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hi Brad

Im sorry U "feel terrible" but Im sure its something U can fix while still staying low-carb. 1st of all what supplements are U taking? 2 that come to mind that may be useful is a stress B tab---- full of the B vitamins. Another is potassium. Let me kow what U R taking and then we will take it from there. Im sure others will have some great input to help U too.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 19:33

Stats: 179/176/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am only taking what some young kid at GNC told me what was best to take...."mega Men" Dietary Supplement...it has b-1 and b-2....have I been on induction too long? or could it be the caffine?

thanks

brad wallace
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 01:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Calcium, magnesium and potassium will also help. And you can increase your vegetables. It helps with turning the "diet" aspect into a way of life.

Some people - I for one - experience this as part of withdrawal. It sometimes takes a little longer to go through detox, if you were formerly a heavy carb user.

I used to get totally furious in the early stages of this WOE, so I learned how to deal with it instead of using carbs to deal with it. It does take I while, and it's not always pretty, but it was entirely worth it for me.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:09

BF:
Default Hi Brad

It sounds like at least for now if U add a few more supplements and carbs as in veggies U will feel a lot better. Magnesium has a real calming effect so that could help. U may need more of all the B vitamins particularly vit B 6...and coffee will have a major effect on your mood as it tends to spike the insulin levels.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 11:40

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 182/173.5/140
BF:
Progress: 20%

I am a culprit of the avoidance of water. I get cold when I drink it and feel like I'm drowning and disgustingly bloated after 2 huge glasses...BUT...man oh man, you have to do it or the diet just doesn't work.

The first week, sure, because you lose all that water weight.

Drink up man -- it'll help at least with the losing.

As for being crabby, it could just be psychological. I know I'm kind of ticked off for not being able to eat my cheese poofers any more.

Think aqua...

Kel
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:00

BF:
Default hi Kelmac

Most people who low-carb complain about being cold. At least at 1st. It is partly because of your metabolism is changing, possibly too because of a dramatic weight loss. Dr Eades talks about the magnesium miracle in PPLP. And I have laso read several place that magnesium helps to regulate the bodies thermostat. Since I have increased my mag suppllement I dont feel as cold anymore.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:21

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 182/173.5/140
BF:
Progress: 20%

This is not new to me...I'm always cold and water just gives me chills beyond chills.

I suffer through it but thanks for the note.

Kel