Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 17:09

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Sugar Buster! --- the book

Hello Fellow SugarBusters!!

I don't know about you but I could use a SB "refresher course". And a nice dose of motivation.

I propose that we re-read and discuss the SB book a chapter or two at a time. I think it would help clarify the plan and encourage questions (and hopefully answers) for all of us.

I would like to start the discussion on Tuesday --- if that's ok with everyone?

molly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 09:26

Plan: Sugar Busters/Weight Watchers
Stats: 229/220/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up

Sounds like a real good idea Molly!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 07:45

BF:
Default SORRY!

Please accept my apologies for not getting the book discussion started on time. I lent out my book and am having trouble getting it back.

I will see if the library has a copy tomorrow. With the revised version coming out in December I prefer not to buy a new copy.

molly

Last edited by molly1844 : Sun, Sep-08-02 at 07:56.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 153/141.5/135
BF:22
Progress: 64%
Default Timely

Great idea. I just ordered the book from the library because I realized I needed a refresher. Our library system is online, so it takes the work out of hunting for books. I should have it by Tuesday. Diane
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 18:00

BF:

OK --- I finally got a copy of SB from the library. (I don't think my copy is going to find its way back home to me. )

Diane has your copy arrived?

How about we read the Intro and Chapter One and be ready to discuss it on Sunday? Is there anyone who would like to volunteer to do a brief summary of the Intro & Chapter One and post it? Doesn't have to be any thing fancy just the highlights. Then we can all add our two cents.

molly
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Cliff notes for SB!?? :)

I will volunteer Molly.

It won't be exhaustive but enough to get the gist.

I will post it either Saturday night or Sunday morning, whichever comes first!

Talk you all soon!

Ehren
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:56

BF:
Default Thank You!

I so appreciate you volunteering.

I'm looking forward to getting this rolling... it should be motivating and informative for all of us!

molly
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 153/141.5/135
BF:22
Progress: 64%
Default Da' book

My copy arrived and get this -- it's paperback. I'd sure like to find one in a book store somewhere. I've heard a new edition is due out, so I guess I'll wait. Barnes & Noble had a hardcover, but they wanted $24 for it. I'll wait until December and order it from Amazon.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 16:16

BF:

I've not forgotten!!

I'll post it tonight or tomorrow!

Daisy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 20:40

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:28%
Progress: 10%

I would love to be a part of this discussion! Our family is starting with SB this week. I have started the SB book, and I have finished feading SB for Kids. This could turn out to be a great support topic for the veterans and newbies alike.

Marsha
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 04:50

BF:

Hi Marsha! Welcome to our little SB community.

Ehren will be posting the review of the 1st chapter soon (maybe today) so you arrived just in time

This should be fun

molly

Last edited by molly1844 : Mon, Sep-16-02 at 16:05.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 12:28

BF:
Default Today!

Sorry folks that I didn't get it posted this weekend! I broke out in hives from a new lotion I'd bought! Itch, itch, itch! It was a expensive one too so I was really surprized. Anyhoo...I'm going to get lunch and then get to posting the review!!

Ehren
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 14:03

BF:

Sugar Busters!

Review & Discussion

Chapter 1 – Introduction

In this first chapter the authors of Sugar Busters! give a basic review of the diet. They introduce that this way of eating allows three full meals a day and appropriate snacks. Most foods are allowed, but that there are some combinations of foods that we should avoid. They do not give specifics here in the introduction, but make reference that some foods and combinations of foods will require the secretion of large amounts of insulin to regulate blood sugar.

The authors convey that refined sugar is toxic, and certain foods cause a definite strain on the health of the body, mind and our waistlines! They advise that fructose, sugar in fruit, will not normally hurt you, but eaten at the wrong time or in the wrong combinations can create both digestive and metabolic problems. The authors recommend a low sugar not a no sugar diet.

In this chapter the authors begin to explain the role that insulin plays in our bodies. Insulin has some good effects on our bodies such as regulating sugar levels but the bad effects caused by the overproduction of it is responsible for converting sugars into fat stores. It even goes so far as to impair the mobilization of previously stored fat making weight loss very difficult. Insulin also causes our livers to secrete cholesterol. They explain that when borderline diabetics can no longer control their diabetes with diet and exercise, they are given injections of insulin which raises cholesterol and causes steady weight gain.

They go on to give a basic overview of how carbohydrates are broken down into glucose in our bodies, which raises our blood sugar. They explain that at that point insulin is secreted by the pancreas to lower the blood sugar, but in the process insulin promotes the storage of fat and the elevation of cholesterol. Insulin also inhibits the breakdown of stored fats. They go on to explain that some of us are insulin resistant and require large amounts of insulin to regulate blood sugar.

Cheating is discouraged, but the authors encourage eating full meals and snacks from the foods listed in later chapters. High protein meals are advised as they do not stimulate significant amounts of insulin, the fat mobilization inhibitor, but high levels of glucagons the fat mobilizer instead. High carbohydrate meals thusly suppresses glucagon secretion. In this type of meal the stored-fat mobilizer is absent but the hormone to promote storage of fat is.

Alcohol is discouraged with the exception of the occasional red wine.

Exercise is explained to be almost immaterial to weight loss with this plan, but the authors go on to say that it is highly beneficial

Caution is given to over the counter medications as they contain sugars. Some prescription drugs can cause fluid retention, incread appetite and other changes that can lead to weight gain, however they caution not to amend any medication before consulting with your physician.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 14:14

BF:

Sugar Busters!

A Review and Study

Chapter 2

A Brief History of Refined Sugar

In this chapter the authors give an overview of the progress of refined sugars in our diets since the dawning of time!

Refined sugars as we know them were not introduced until the early seventeeth century. At this time sugar was being cautioned as observations were being made of it’s ill effects on the bodies of diabetic patients. Moderation was encouraged. It wasn’t until the early twentieth century, that more attempts were made to caution the public but fell on deaf ears as sugar was largely popular.

This chapter goes on to highlight the impact that sugar has played on society medically, socially and economically.

The authors explain that with the increase of refined sugars we are seeing equal increase in health problems resulting from it, namely but not limited to, diabetes.

Abandoning most refined sugars in our daily diets are mandated for Sugar Busters! to be a helpful tool for permanent weight loss.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 16:20

BF:
Default BRAVO!

Super job Ehren!

You get the SugarBusters! Purple Heart for doing your duty under adverse circumstances . (how are the hives?)

I found the authors observations about the suppresion of information regarding the ill effects of sugar on the system just fascinating. Doesn't it just jar your preserves to discover how low an industry will stoop for greed and profit?

We are off to a good start --- looking forward to everyone's comments about the first two chapters.

molly