Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 15:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/157/130
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default a few questions and introduction

hello everyone. i am restarting sugar busters after going off for a while and am excited to get back on track. i have a couple of questions if ok, is buttermilk legal, also brown rice syrup and the ezekial bread sprouted grain? thanks so much, i also need to start exercising again, have really been bad lately!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 15:54

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Hi Debbie!

and welcome!

Buttermilk is acceptable on SB as is Ezekial Bread. It makes great toast. If you can find them there are also Ezekial Brand Tortillas, Hamburger Buns and Pita Bread. All are really yummy. I get them at my local health food store.

There isn't much info in the book about Brown Rice Syrup. It is mentioned though in "Sugar Bust for Life" (recipe book by the Brennans).

They classify it as a hidden sugar that should be avoided. However, they also mention (and I agree) that in the grand scheme of things ingredients like a little brown rice syrup used to sweeten commercial breads isn't really such a big deal. A snall amount spread throughout an entire recipe should not cause any problems.

If you make sure that the bread (or whatever) has 3 grams or less of added sugars per serving then you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

molly
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 06:39

BF:
Default thanks!

hi molly and thanks for the quick response! this board looks great! i was watching emeril yesterday and he was doing fried fennel with buttermilk dipping sauce, looked like a good substitute for french fries if needed! it called for flour, but i thought i could just substitute the ww flour, i will let you know if it comes out well!
i did find some legal bagels and tortillas, i was SO excited! the brown rice syrup i just bought thinking i had read about it on a board before, but wasnt sure if it was legal.
how are the brennans books, would you recommend them? Do you find they are more informative?
thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 16:14

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 190/184/120
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up

Hi,
Being a cookbook junkie, I bought every Sugar Buster type cookbook I could find on Amazon.com. Two of them were the Brennan's. They are terrific, as far as variety of recipes. The first even has a couple of bread machine recipes for stone-ground whole wheat bread. The second book has a myriad recipes, including quite a number of pizza recipes, as well as a legal pizza dough recipe. But, as far as I'm concerned the section in the back that has a list of grocery store products that fit the Sugar Buster critera is the biggest boon of all. Granted, a lot of the brand names seem to be southern ones and not found in California stores, but there are enough national brands like Progresso, etc. that it is still very useful to have.
I haven't cooked very much from it yet, as I just received the books a couple of days ago, but the recipes look really good. They have a lot of Italian dishes as well as the Cajun and Creole dishes, New Orleans is famous for.
Hope this helps.
Rona Moore
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 16:28

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Rona is right!

I have the Brennan's "SugarBust for Life" and love it. The recipes are wonderful.There is lots of good info about low GI diets including menu plans and a list of snack ideas.

I also have Sugar Free New Orleans by Deannie Bahan... also an excellent cook book with an informative section on the Gylcemic Index.

I would reccomend both of them (I'm a cook book junkie too).

The only thing you might be concerned about is the amount of fat in some of the recipes. Personally I don't worry about fat but I know that some folks do. It would be easy enough though to reduce the fat in the recipes.

molly
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 08:32

BF:
Default thanks!

me too on the cookbooks, thanks for the suggestions! i ordered the brenanns books at half.com and will look for that other one molly, thanks! i still cant find agave, guess will order online. take care and thanks again!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 09:55

BF:
Default forgot to say congratulations

on both of your weight losses, you must feel great!