Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 06:07
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 214/211/179
BF:
Progress: 9%

Corn is for cattle; potatoes are for pigs.....that's how farmers fatten up their livestock.....makes sense to me!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 15:26

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Any volunteers?

Is there anyone who would like to do a summary of the next two chapters? The summary should be posted on Sunday.

I thought it would be easier and more fun if we took turns.

molly
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 18:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Let's not quit!

This was a really good idea...let's keep it up. The chapters get more interesting as the book goes along.

I lent my copy to my father who just found out he's got diabetes, otherwise, I'd volunteer to do the next chapter.

Someone, anyone want to do a summary for the next chapter??

Ehren
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 20:36

BF:

Ehren --- I'll try to get the summary of the next chapter posted tomorrow.
molly
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 153/141.5/135
BF:22
Progress: 64%
Default oops

DH is really on the ball. He took my SB back to the library. Oops. When I return from VT Oct. 9, I'll check it out again and then I'll post a chapter. Sorry folks. Diane
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 19:28

BF:
Default CHAPTER THREE

Chapter Three explores some weight loss myths.

1) CALORIES: Although there are a number of studies indicating that calorie intake is not a reliable indicator of weight gain or weight loss, that research has been largely ignored by the medical community.

Low Calorie diets don't work in the long run as the body slows down the metabolism in order to compensate for the lowered calorie intake.

The authors state that calories are not as important as the type of foods eaten.

2) FATS & WEIGHT GAIN
Fats do not cause weight gain. Monounsaturated fats (olive oil, canola oil) are heart healthy and can combat cardiovascular disease. A diet heavy on carbs and low on fats & protein can raise trigycerides.

3) CHOLESTEROL:
Countries with higher fat consumption had lower instances of heart disease. Total cholesterol readings are not a reliable indicator of a healthy heart.

4) ALCOHOL: Beer bad!(think beer belly) Dry Red Wine Good! (in moderation)

molly
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 19:24

Stats: 150/140/135
BF:
Progress: 67%
Unhappy No book either!

My book made it back to the library, too! I did read chapters 3 & 4, but failed to get on the computer to post anything. Gotta check out the book again next week. Not enough hours in the day!!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 09:39

BF:

any volunteers to do the next chapter?

molly
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 16:09

Stats: 190/184/120
BF:
Progress: 9%
Hi,
I haven"t posted yet. My name is Rona Moore and I have the book in front of me.
Chapter 4 is about Digestion and Metabolism. The authors feel that the digestion and metabolism of foods are the keys in maintaining good nutrition and normal body weight. They go into specifics of the digestive process with suggestions for improving both.
1. Chew your food into smaller pieces because the smaller the pieces of food are the easier they are to digest. This also helps to prevent indigestion.
2. Don't eat a fatty meal later in the evening or at night because it can lead to acid reflux and extreme discomfort. This also can occur after heavy drinking and then eating.
3. Because fiber is the last thing that the stomach digests, carbohydrates with fiber, such as stone-ground wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, beans, yams, etc. will take longer to digest, and thus have a much lower insulin-stimulating effect.
They briefly describe metabolism, then go into carbohydrates and how they break down.
While all carbohydrates break down into glucose, so break down much faster than others. Those that break down fast into glucose have a high glycemic index value, going down a continum to those that are much slower to break down which have a low glycemic value.
Proteins mostly break down into amino acids which can then be used to build up protein in our cells, or turned into glucose.
Fats must be digested through the actions of pacreatic enzymes. Its a complicated process. Cells use fat for a number of important functions.
They also talk about cholesterol and what it really is.
I hope this helps.
Rona
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 16:57

BF:
Default Bravo!

Great Summary Rona!
Thanks for doing this.

I have an awful habit of just gulping down my food. Guess it's from years of short lunch breaks. I relly need to slow down and chew my food more carefully. Looks like that really helps promote more efficent digestion.

molly