Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 09:01

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%
Default Hello! Excited about joining the forum.

I began this latest weight adjustment journey on 4 Feb 17. I have tried low carb eating in the past but never for very long. I think the longest I followed the plan was for 3 weeks. I am now in week 5 and feeling pretty good. No noticeable "Atkins flu" like symptoms and have lost about 18lbs. I have decided to extent the induction period as long as I can (20grams or less) but starting to get a little concerned about the long term effects to my body (especially the liver). I have been reading a lot online about the dangers of low carb eating and wanted to reach out to those who have lived this lifestyle to try and gain some additional insight. I am a 54 year old female trying to lose a total of 80lbs (60lbs to go). I eat well and take the recommended vitamins for a person of my age. Exercise is moderate walking at this point but I plan to build on that.

As I said above, my biggest concern is the length of time I intend to spend in the induction phase. Looking to hear some of your stories to help me either change my plan or continue.

Honestly, I struggle to get in 20 grams per day but I do get at least 15 grams. I don't track the grams regularly and know that I should. I will work on that.

Thanks for reading/listening.

Looking forward to learning more.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 09:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Low carb eating is not dangerous to your health. High carb eating is and can lead to fatty liver since excess sugar in the body will be converted to fat which will be stored in the liver. Many of us here, myself included, have followed a lchf eating plan for many years with tremendous success both for weight loss and for general health. Check out the dietdoctor.com site for great info on low carb eating.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 09:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Kathy!
Glad you found this forum. It has much good well-researched information and many long-term members. I have been on Dr. Westman's (an author of the New Atkins, 2010) 20g total carb plan for 6.5 years, I know others in the local support group have been on it even longer. Reached goal five years ago last month. I do eat more vegetables than on the clinic plan, so my carbs are higher now but not a net basis. At 66, I have perfect blood work (Trigs=33, HDL=100, ratio .33!, Insulin under 5, AST 22, ALT 17). Low carb is the best way to resove a Fatty Liver, https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=fatty+liver so I'm not sure what liver problems you refer to. All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 10:19

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%

Thank you cotonpal and JEY100 for your words of encouragement and information. I will definitely check out the dietdoctor site. As I was learning about ketosis I thought I read that maintaining a ketosis state was bad for the liver. Your experiences are just what I needed to hear (I know not everyone reacts the same) to give me a better perspective.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 13:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Welcome, Kathy. Glad to hear of your success so far. Keep up the research, and you'll soon be reassured that you are on a healthy path.

Best wishes.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-17, 15:30

Plan: Atkins, LCHF
Stats: 245/240/140 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Kathy!

Your success is an encouragement to me. I'm amazed you've been able to jump into induction with no low carb flu and have lost so much weight already. That is wonderful!

I have had issues with going vlc(very low carb) and am not losing weight yet. I am feeling so much better, though, and have been exercising.

Welcome!
-Tiger