Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-17, 22:11

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 260/240/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default New Here but not to LC

Hi everyone, I'll make this quick. I've been doing Low Carb off and on for 18 years (!) but mostly off due to some really stressful situations with caregiving.

After a major operation last spring I have now gained almost 80 pounds in a year, and I just want this weight off. My doctor told me yesterday I am "prediabetes", my A1C was borderline. So it's time to do it. I am 46.

I know how to do lunch and dinner, but breakfast throws me off. I used to do a cup of yogurt and 1/2 c. berries, but this time around I'm going very LC and will do eggs and.... ?

Sometimes having had success with one plan for so long, you can really get into that thinking that it's the only way that works. I'd like to up the healthy fats because truth be told I never really felt "great" on the other plan.

Thanks!
Heather
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 04:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Heather
You have found a great LC forum that supports many LC plans, strict to semi-LC.
I'm confused by your question a bit, you write about the "other plan", your stat plan reads a mix of plans and haven't read a book that could give us a clue what plans you have been following up to now.
Agree that in your current situation going very low carb would be a great way to improve your health and picking one plan to follow exactly helps get things off on the right foot. The Atkins induction plan would be good, and you can stay at that level as long as you wish. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 Another would be the Strict or Ketogenic diet level at DietDoctor, the plan is the same used by Duke Lifetsyle clinic. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb Many good breakfast suggestions there but eggs cooked in butter is fine or add bacon if hungry. Only eat breakfast if you are hungry, so you could also just have coffee with cream.
There is good information on the diabetes forum here for other tips to prevent diabetes: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 10:08

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 260/240/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thank you for the links.

I know my past with LC sounds kind of strange. Back in 1998 I was a member of a 12 step program for food addiction that set out a very strict plan which I followed diligently for 5 years. It worked for weight loss but was very restrictive for life in general and had a lot of controversy swirling around it, which is why I didn't state specifically what my plan was or where it came from.

I then had 2 children, both with special needs, and while off and on I have tried to follow that original food plan (based on palm-sized protein, non-starchy veggies, healthy fats and zero grains) I have been all over the place with it due to the stress of caregiving, first for my children, then for my husband who had a traumatic brain injury 7 years ago.

Now that my own health is in jeopardy, I am getting more serious about keeping myself healthy so that I can care for my family for many years to come.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 04:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Let us know how we can help you with your LCHF plan, if you need more ideas for breakfast. Many recipes here too http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96 Last night's leftovers or a fatty coffee are other quick options. Try to add stress relief techniques for yourself, even short walks, listen to podcasts, whatever you can fit in, but exercise is a small part of weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 10:37

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

For breakfast I try to be very routine. I go to the local butcher and get a week's worth of sausages (2/day), bake them, and put them in baggies. Each morning, I grab a baggie I like them cold, and my commute is 2 hrs. so they keep me going. They also make it easy to last until at least lunch without being hungry! I have also found the Johnsonville Brats to be an acceptable substitute. As an aside, I always remove the casings pre-baking. Too chewy Good luck!