Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 01:17

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Going from Fat to Fit

Alright. I've been working out faithfully since about week 2 of this WOE but haven't really been logging it anywhere. Now I've got a bit of a routine down, plus have just started with a personal trainer (Paul), so I thought it would help to start writing things down - especially what I did during the training sessions since I can never seen to remember.

Progress to date: made it through week 5 of couch to 5K, completed 5 personal training sessions and started taking turbo kickboxing on Sat (not sure if that one's a keeper tho).

Schedule for this week:
M - Personal trainer & Cardio
Tu - C25K W6D1
W - Rest
Th - C25K W6D2
F - Personal Trainer & Cardio
Sa - TKB (or maybe C25K W6D3)
Su - C25K W6D3 (or maybe Yoga if I run on Sa)

Today's PT (as best as I can remember):
Ball Squats w/10 lbs 15 reps x 2 sets
Chest Press 20(?) lbs 15x1
Crunches - 15
Oblique Ball Crunches - 15
Pull Ups ??lbs 15x1
Leg Extensions 0lbs 15x1
Kickbacks 15lbs 15x1
Row 30lbs 15x1
Triceps 30lbs 15x1
Biceps (cable machine) 10lbs 15x1

Cardio:
Walk 3.5mph 1.0 incline 30 min
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 11:43

BF:

Last night I completed W6D1 of couch to 5K, including a little bit of an incline for part of it (in hopes to simulate running outdoors).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 17:09
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I stopped by to encourage you and thank you for starting this. I really need to do the same thing because I'm learning so much with my trainer I need to have it written down too! Good luck and keep it up!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 18:57
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
I am in a stall at the moment that started about the same time as the weight training. I'm hoping that it is just my body adapting to the exercise and I'll get back on the losing path soon. I'd love to lose 7 more lbs this month!

I hadn't lost any weight on the scale from November through December (was fighting the same 3 pounds) and then once I started working out with the trainer...doing more balance, more heartrate and more cardio...then I had a whoosh.

I think with you it might be opposite in that you're starting with the weight training and your body does need to adjust. (I was doing some heavy weights on my own in the fall.)

But if you keep building that muscle and working that body, it'll come off!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 14:03

BF:

Finally checking in today. It's been too busy at work for me to be here much. Here's a recap for the last few days (Wednesday is my rest day and DHs night to do whatever he wants )

Cardio:
Thursday - Couch to 5K W6D2 - 10 min run x2 + 20 min walk
Friday - 40 min bike (easy)
Saturday - Couch to 5K W6D3 - 25 min run + 20 min walk

Strength:
Friday - Personal Training
Opposite Arm/Leg - 4 lb - 2 sets of 6 per side
Wall squats w/ball - no weights - 1 set x 15 reps
Modified Plank - 2 sets x 30 sec
Chest Press - 30 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps
Row - 40 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps
Shoulder Press - 15 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps
Bicep Curl (machine) - 20 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps
Tricep Extension (machine) - 30 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps
Leg Extensions - 0 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps
Leg Curls - 15 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps

Notes:
-Tried to do Incline Shoulder Press and it hurt, so I won't be doing that machine again.
- Bicep curl machine - 30 lbs is too heavy and 20 lbs is too light...I think I might need to try using the cable machine or free weights for that one
- For the first time my quads don't hurt the next day. I need to find a happy medium there
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 14:05

BF:

Lisa, Thanks for the encouragement. I know that I am doing the right things to get healthier and that my weight should follow. I am trying very very hard to be patient!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 22:56

BF:

Yoga today. I've only done it a few times, so I wasn't sure how to do all the moves, but luckily I was right next to a pretty experienced guy, so I think I did okay. I was definitely using some different muscles so we'll see how I feel tomorrow.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 09:08
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi Tjf9 - I know what you meant about trying to be patient. It can be difficult sometimes, especially when you're finally working so hard and want to see results. I know I'm excited about how non-machine-related my workouts are because they'll be very useful in the future and for traveling. I'm excited about your yoga experience. I've only recently used a DVD (real beginner stuff) and I'm loving it again! Keep up the good work!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 19:09

BF:

Today was my first time lifting without the trainer present. I think it went pretty well. I was (am) sore from Yoga on Sunday (my first time) so I did try to take it easy on my back and legs - I think it was the downward dog that got me!

Strength:
Monday
Opposite Arm/Leg - 4 lb - 2 sets of 6 per side (3-3 pace)
Wall squats w/ball - no weights - 2 set x 15 reps (3-2-1)
Chest Press - 30 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (4-2-1)
Pull Ups - 155/175 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-3)
Shoulder Press - 15 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps, 1 set x 12 reps (4-2-1)
Crunches - 0 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-1-3)
Leg Extensions - 0 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps (3-3)
Leg Curls - 15 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps (3-3)
Bicep Curl (machine) - 20 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps (3-3)
Tricep Extension (machine) - 30 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps (3-3)
Back Extension - 0 lbs - 2 sets x 6 reps (3-3)

Notes:
- The last set of ball squats was really 2 sets - 12 the first set and 3 the second. I was pooped!
- Took the weight down a notch for the second set of pull ups since my back and lats were sore from yoga
- No excuse on the shoulder press other than I was tired.
- Was going to increase wt on Leg Curl, but I was too sore. Maybe Friday.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 07:29
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
So are you experienced at yoga at all? From your post it sounded like it was something you used to do? I just hope it gets easier. I was feeling sort of uncoordinated, but I'm just chalking that up to being new. How is it for you?

I'm actually chuckling at your quote about "downward dog". If you're not used to it, it can definitely get you!

Ok, to answer your question, I'm really not adept or experienced with yoga, but I've always believed in it. The problem was that I had back issues and years ago when I tried it (took a class and stuck with with for weeks) it was uncomfortable for me. But now that I've strenghthened my core so much, when I've tried super simple beginner yoga moves and pilates moves, I'm doing MUCH better. I'm still awaiting some other videos to try out more, though. But I just felt like I could do into the positions a LOT better than ever. That came from warming up, working out, strength training and stretching a ton on my own. If it feels like too much for you, you might want to consider waiting on it and just doing some of the moves? I'm not sure, but with time and proper strength and flexibility it does get easier. I think I'm a testament to that.

BTW, the inchworm move I've listed starts in the downward dog position. Also when I do ball bridges or anything that makes me back tender, I immediately start stretching yoga-style with the cat and child poses. So while I'm not taking an actual class, there are elements of yoga I use constantly.

You're really doing a great job. Remember it's ok to "give up" if you just can't push through that last set. There will come a time if you stay consistent and keep working, that you'll blow through those same sets and suddenly be doing more weight. Patience and focus will get you there!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 16:40
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

You're doing great!

I used to do yoga regularly, and it does take practice. Be easy with it and ease into the positions. Eventually, you're able to get deeper into a position or go further, longer...that's what's nice about yoga, is that you see yourself progressing.

The classes near me are in the evenings rather late, but I may start up again in the spring. Hmm.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 13:21

BF:

Hi ladies! Thanks for the yoga advice. I will definitely try to take it easier next time, becuase I'm still a little sore 3 days later!

Cardio update: I rode the bike for 30 minutes Monday night and then spent about 20 minutes stretching. Felt nice. Last night I ran for 25 min + walked for 20. I did the whole thing on a 1.0 incline. I meant to only do the walking on an incline, but I forgot to move it down when I started running. I got a good workout!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 00:14

BF:

It's been a busy few days, so I haven't had a chance to check in...

Cardio:
Thur - C25K Day 2
Sun - C25K Week 7 Done!
Mon - Swim

Strength:
Friday
Wall squats w/ball - no weights - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-2-1)
Crunches - 0 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-1-3)
Pull Ups - 175 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-3)
Shoulder Press - 15/10 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps, 1 set x 12 reps (4-2-1)
Leg Curls - 25 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps (3-3)
Back Extension - 0 lbs - 2 sets x 6 reps (3-3)

Monday
Wall squats w/ball - no weights - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-2-1)
Modified Plank - 0 lbs - 2 sets x 30 sec
Upright Row - 40 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-3)
Shoulder Press - 15 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (4-2-1)
Leg Curls - 25 lbs - 1 set x 15 reps (3-3)

Notes:
- Friday was tough. I wasn't able to get to the gym at lunch, so I wasn't able to lift until evening.
- Monday felt great! Every exercise felt not too hard and not too easy.

I'm wondering what made the difference on Monday. Maybe because I skipped Saturday, or maybe I was just under the weather over the weekend? Thursday's run took everything I had and Sunday I had to keep going slower and slower to finish. Overall, I wasn't very motivated and physically felt tired. Then today everything seemed to click back into place and it felt good again.

It felt really good to swim, until I got to the end and found I had lost one of my earrings. (My diamond stud earings that DH gave me when my twins were born.) Verrrry bad! Fortunately, there was no one else in the pool and my eagle-eyed gym buddy spotted it. Turns out the back had broken, so I guess I'm glad I lost it there - so I knew where to look - as opposed having it fall out in the shower and go down the drain!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 08:27
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Wow - you're strong! You're doing so well, Lisa. Keep it up!
Hey thanks! I didn't realize how strong I was until my trainer kept commenting about guys who don't lift what I do...but I think my body is just really responding well. Of course I have my weak points. I noticed you do impressive pull-ups! I couldn't do that!

Your exercise plan is coming along beautifully! You are keeping it varied and challenging yourself, which is excellent. I miss swimming. I'll get back to that soon enough. (What a relief about your earring, btw!!)

As for how you felt on Monday, you know there are some factors I've noticed on how I respond to working out...and one is rest previously, especially if I'm tired...and the other is food. Monday I still did really well, but I did feel frustrated and wondered if it was the smaller breakfast I'd had or just being challenged a bit too much by my trainer. Now that I'm eating LC it helps, but it did occur to me I need to eat a bit more before working out at the level I do now, ya know? Just something to consider. But whatever the case, just listen to your body and keep up the good work!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 23:56

BF:

Thank goodness this week is over! It's a very stressful time at work and I'm so happy it is the weekend.

Cardio:
Tues - C25K Week 8 Day 1
Thur - C25K Week 8 Day 2

Strength:
Friday
Row - 60 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (4-2-1)
Modified Plank - 2 sets x 45 sec ea
Pull Ups - 155 lbs - 1 sets x 10 reps (3-3)
Shoulder Press - 40 lbs - 2 set x 15 reps (4-2-1)
Cardio Intervals - 5 min
Wall squats w/ball - 10 lbs - 2 sets x 15 reps (3-2-1)
Superman - 5 x 10 sec, legs; 5 x 10 sec arms; 5 x 10 sec arms & legs
Single leg bridges - 5 x 5 sec per side

Notes:
- Did the chest press on 2 different machines - easy on one, harder on the other
- There were some new machines at the gym that we used. The weights on those were MUCH different than the weights on the other machines. I used them on the row and shoulder press. Makes me look really strong!
- The pull ups were pretty easy this time. I think losing weight has really helped

Lisa - the number on the pull ups is how I set the machine. The actual weight I'm lifting is my weight minues that number - so really, not so impressive But thanks anyway!

I think Monday was just about feeling better. This whole week has gone really well. I think I may have just been a little off last week.