Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 16:38
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
Crystal Crack.... That's hilarious!

I'm curious to try and see if I get the "hunger" feeling with any other sweeteners, but I'm afraid to try!

I'm Crystal Crack day 5-FREE.

It feels like my hunger cues are back to normal.

I know that everyone is different...

I made a molten lava cake with 1 tsp eryth and 1 drop of Splenda liquid.

Not a problem.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 05:25

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
I'm so happy to have that hungry feeling gone!

Excellent!!

I think most of us LCers can get complacent with sweeteners, as if they were neutral foods. I use 1 tablet splenda every other day, so no reactions.

Would be interesting to see after some time, if you could tolerate tiny amounts.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 11:05

Plan: Primal Atkins
Stats: 191.4/187/140 Female 68in
BF:More than I need
Progress: 9%

I'm really interested in this issue. The first time I did Induction, in January, I had great success and no hunger. I also wasn't having any artificial sweetener or coffee. I gradually added in a daily cup of coffee with a little Splenda and didn't have any trouble with my weight loss.

Then I had a break from Atkins - kind of a long story but my dr suggested I add in carbs b/c I hadn't been feeling well. Weight loss stopped, blood sugar went out of control and not feeling well turned out to be related to a chronic low grade sinus infection, not low carb. Ahhh, two months lost.

But, now I'm back on track. I regained a few lbs while I was away, I think mostly water. I'm on the third day of Induction but I need to re-read DANDR b/c I'm not sure Splenda and coffee are allowed. I'm still feeling hunger, and I can't remember if three days in I was past it or not last time. But if I don't hit the not-hungry point soon I may have to cut out the coffee and Splenda for a week or two and let my blood sugar really stabilize before I add them back.

I don't want to do that. Coffee is my favorite "treat" and I usually only have one cup a day. But if I have to cut it out for a while, I will. At least I know I can tolerate it once I get my blood sugar super stable again.

While I was off Atkins I became super sensitive to the Carb-Insulin-Hunger connection. I really noticed that the more carb I ate (even healthy stuff like sweet potatoes) the more insulin my body released and the faster I got hungry again. I also noticed that, for me, grain based carbs had a much worse effect than potatoes. Anyway, I think everyone's body is different and we have to be aware of how things effect us.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 17:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/178.4/145 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 49%

I had a similar experience....last week I ate WAAAAY TOO MUCH SF candy. I literally ate an entire SF candy bar and a bag and a half of SF Reese's cups..now I stayed under my calories for the day, substituted candy for meals...and I gained 2lbs! I know it's not because I ate enough calories to gain the weight...had to be the insulin spikes! I have been off the SF candy and lost that weight plus a little more...no more candy for me, I apparently have no self control.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 11:41
Registered Member

Stats: 251/199.8/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I have to say that does sound like a lot of sweetener. That much sugar, also, would give me an upset stomach; not to mention constant hunger.

Do you use liquid splenda? Are you aware the powder splenda has maltodextrin, a sugar, in it, to bulk it up?

Wow, this is news to me! Thanks for sharing...
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 12:44

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I have read a lot about how even THINKING about eating something sweet can trigger a flood of insulin. And that artificial sweeteners to a degree can "trick" the body into thinking true sugar is coming in, thus insulin is released to prepare for the sugar it expects. Obviously a lot of this is triggered by mind-body-hormone things, so it seems logical that having too much artificial sweeteners via soft drinks and other SF treats could have your body pumping out too much insulin unnecessarily...and of course, we all know that insulin is the hormone that helps us store calories as fat. So while the SF coke, for example, would not give you calories, you are triggering insulin which then drives perhaps excess eating and the body will be predisposed at this point to store as much as possible as fat. This is the loop you don't want to be in.

I really did find it beneficial to jettison all AS except for the occasional Atkins cheesecake I make, and for sweetening I use EZ sweet, which is basically splenda in liquid form. You just need a few drops, the cheesecake isn't all that sweet anyway, and as an occasional thing it doesn't mess anything up for me.

I weaned myself off of black tea with sugar or with AS to sweeten it, and now I drink only plain green tea. I really just don't have anything sweet or artificially sweet, and I learned that keeps things under control very nicely.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 19:23

Stats: 270/266/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 3%

I figured out diet Dr. Pepper (aspartame) triggered my cravings. Luckily, I only drank 1, once a day, around the same time & figured out on the 3rd day of Induction what was going on...I don't seem to have trouble w/ Splenda, though I still try to limit it too.