Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-17, 12:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Wired to Eat: Robb Wolf (pre-order)

The full title is a hefty: Wired to Eat: Turn Off Cravings, Rewire Your Appetite for Weight Loss, and Determine the Foods That Work for You and it will be released March 21, 2017.

Quote:
Do you struggle to lose weight and get healthy? Are you playing the blame-game and berating yourself for "cheating" on your diet? This struggle should come as no surprise, as we are genetically wired to eat more and move less, the exact opposite of the advice we are often given. Now there is a more customized weight loss solution that works with your body, a solution based not on arbitrary restriction of foods but on what works for YOU. Developed by former research biochemist, health expert, and bestselling author Robb Wolf, Wired to Eat offers an eating program, based on groundbreaking research, that will rewire your appetite for weight loss and help you finally determine the optimal foods for your diet and metabolism.

Here's his blog post with the announcement.

Quote:
Wired to Eat is my attempt to explain this story in a way that defuses the guilt and morality around changing our eating and lifestyle habits. I talk about the neuroregulation of appetite and how hyperpalatable foods cause us to eat more than we otherwise would. I cover some of the latest research surrounding the gut microbiome, ketogenic diets/fasting, and how depending on certain life events some of us are better suited to higher or lower carb diets.

This is a pretty big (long!) book and I bring in sleep/photoperiod, movement (exercise), and community in addition to nutrition to establish what I call the Four Pillars of Health. I look not only at how these topics affect the neuroregulation of appetite, but also our overall, happiness and wellbeing.

By using the word "hyperpalatable" Robb Wolf does not annoy me the way Stephen Guyenet does because he uses the word in a neurological way, as discussed in this podcast (and if you go there you can read a transcript instead.)

Quote:
This week on the podcast we have the incredibly interesting Mark Schatzker, author of Steak, and The Dorito Effect. We talk about the hyperpalatability of foods, neuroregulation of appetite, and how food engineering and flavoring has changed what we eat and how it all affects us.

Mark Schatzker writes about how processed food companies pour millions of dollars into scientists figuring out how we are helpless to moderate our intake of junk food.

Robb Wolf is an good guy who puts lots of helpful information out there and his podcasts are often interesting: even if some of them tend to be about "I am young and fit and wish to be as buffed as a comic-book superhero."

I just skip those
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 08:00

BF:

By golly, I urge anyone who hasn't been following "industrial food subjects" to check out the podcast or transcript. It's a great introduction to the scope of the problem.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 09:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Read one of Rob's books when I was just starting low carb. His unvarnished approach and clear descriptions are the things I like about his work. Thanks for the recommendation.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-17, 05:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Our library has it on order, and for once, it wasn't me who made the purchase suggestion. His books have been popular since he was on TV with the Wild Diet leading in some diet face-off. I look forward to it.
And speaking of "hefty"...have you picked up the Primal Blueprint New revised edition by Mark Sisson? The book weighs 3.5 pounds and so can use it for arm curls while reading, and the binding weird.
But it includes evolutions in his thinking on health, one change is that alcohol went from a "sensible indulgence" to the toxin it is. Especially to be eliminated if weight loss is the goal. About ten pages to explain all the biochemical reactions to any alcohol! If you are at goal weight and healthy, he gives the better primal options, but the daily red wine is gone for everyone.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-17, 06:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And speaking of "hefty"...have you picked up the Primal Blueprint New revised edition by Mark Sisson? The book weighs 3.5 pounds and so can use it for arm curls while reading, and the binding weird.
But it includes evolutions in his thinking on health, one change is that alcohol went from a "sensible indulgence" to the toxin it is. Especially to be eliminated if weight loss is the goal. About ten pages to explain all the biochemical reactions to any alcohol! If you are at goal weight and healthy, he gives the better primal options, but the daily red wine is gone for everyone.

What about the French ?!?!?!?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 05:28

Don't think the French need a 550 page book to help them improve "their lifestyle"
Especially when they find red wine repositioned in the "Avoid Poisonous Things" chapter. Mon dieu!

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-08-17 at 05:34.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 21:06

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Wasn't the French paradox thing that the French eat large amounts of (ahem, healthy) SATURATED FAT yet still manage to remain healthy. So low-fatters said, hmm, must be the stuff in the wine. Don't know about that, but maybe, just maybe, it's...the SATURATED FAT!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 14:25

Wired to Eat is #6 on the NYT "Advice" bestseller list.

Plus Robb has been interviewed all over...he's gathered them in one list on his website: https://robbwolf.com/2017/03/28/wir...eat-interviews/

I have the copy from my library but not that far into it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 16:00

BF:

Keep us posted, Janet!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 19:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I just read my library's copy and was not impressed. There is noting new in it for us HFLCers and half of it involves digressions on all sorts of topics, after which he actually asks what the heck does this have to do with health and nutrition? ... several times. For instance, there is a full page about his father being an electrical contractor just to set up a weak metaphor. He seems to like to hear himself talk/write and it makes it harder to find the relevant information.

It seems to be targeted for under 30's who know nothing about low carb (which he considers to be 100-150g). But I doubt many of them would use the 1/3 of the book that is recipes with >10 ingredients.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-17, 05:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I just read my library's copy and was not impressed. There is noting new in it for us HFLCers and half of it involves digressions on all sorts of topics, after which he actually asks what the heck does this have to do with health and nutrition? ... several times.

What do you think newbies would think of it?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-17, 07:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
What do you think newbies would think of it?
It provides good info for newbies, including a couple of pages at the end about fasting and ketogenic approaches (the only part of his approach that works for me). But it depends on if newbies are looking for a just the facts, ma'am type of book or enjoy a lot of touchy-feely get-to-know you verbiage.