Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 14:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default LCHF Enters the New Zealand Government System

WOW...all you lucky Kiwis!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-ent...vernment-system

Quote:
The government of New Zealand has appointed Professor Grant Schofield, an avid promoter of the LCHF diet, as the Ministry of Education’s first Chief Education Health and Nutrition Advisor:

The New Zealand Government Webpage: New Appointment to Support Physical Activity and Nutrition in Schools

This is a big leap in the right direction for the low-carb movement – and for the health of all New Zealand school kids who are likely to at least get less added sugar in their food…

More

Professor Grant’s blog: The Science of Human Potential

His blog, https://profgrant.com and talks are excellent.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 19:19

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I had a good look through the local media today looking for more information on this, and for most part the appointment seems to have gone almost without notice.

But I did find a piece of video from a current affairs show that comes across as a bit fluffy, but here it is anyway (assuming non-Kiwis are able to watch it?):

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new...o=5395107578001

I'm a fan of Grant Schofield and have been ever since I bought What The Fat, the book he wrote with Caryn Zinn. It's basically the NZ based equivalent of Tim Noakes' Real Meal Revolution, but that's obviously no bad thing.

This appointment will no doubt ruffle a few traditionalist feathers around the place; it'll be interesting to see which other "experts" stick their neck out over this.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 21:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

There's been no mention of it here that I've seen either, Grav, which is a pity.

I can see the video, mate. Yes, a little fluffy as you say, but still interesting to see how far lunch boxes have come from my day when it was ALWAYS a sandwich of some sort, a piece of cake or a couple of biccies and a piece of fruit. And afternoon tea was another piece of cake with a glass of cordial. Amazing that I didn't get fat until I hit menopause.

But still, if the fluffy shows are taking it for granted that "everyone knows" we should all be eating less sugar and no processed food, at least that's a big step in the right direction.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 06:33
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Usually I can't see news videos from other countries, but I was able to view this one and I found it encouraging. After all these years, people are beginning to listen.

In the 80s I was part of a movement called ASH (Action on Smoking and Health) and we got cigarettes banned from airplanes. That was the first step toward controlling the poison of nicotine, yet people are still smoking in the 21st century. Change can be instantaneous or the opposite.

I'll be patient and grateful at the same time for this change in dietary attitude.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 07:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default This is for humor only...

The only thing that scares me more than what Trish packed in her first lunch box are her knife skills - YIKES

#6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 10:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The most hilarious part of Grav's link were the Kiwi talking heads on the news show after the film clip criticizing Grant's appointment and implying it is a waste of tax-payers' money because he's telling them things they already know. Then they go on to observe that he's controversial because he's promoting fat over carbs. What?

I find it encouraging that Grant has been appointed. It will be an interesting circus to watch due to the attitudes exhibited by the news show's talking heads, as I assume they are representative of the many speed bumps Grant must tackle as he teaches the population what's healthy and what's not. Good luck Grant. I fervently hope that we eventually get a like-minded person or group in the states that can overcome the widely held myths of health and nutrition prevalent today. It's coming . . . . .

Oh, and the knife skills Thud? I've seen worse, mate!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 11:52

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Doesn't her daughter have teeth to bite off pieces of vegs and fruit? If Mom has no time, why is she wasting it on "knife skills"? Who wants to eat dry vegs and brown apple slices?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 01:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The most hilarious part of Grav's link were the Kiwi talking heads on the news show after the film clip criticizing Grant's appointment and implying it is a waste of tax-payers' money because he's telling them things they already know. Then they go on to observe that he's controversial because he's promoting fat over carbs. What?

Well, they're fine with the ideas of eating less sugar and less processed food because it's still compatible with the broader idea of eating less in general. But the idea of eating more fat after being told all our lives to eat less of that as well, is still a bit of a mental hurdle to many people around NZ in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I find it encouraging that Grant has been appointed. It will be an interesting circus to watch due to the attitudes exhibited by the news show's talking heads, as I assume they are representative of the many speed bumps Grant must tackle as he teaches the population what's healthy and what's not.

Pretty much. You have people that could be open to change like Toni, and then you have people like Mike who value personal choice over personal health.

Really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this in the coming months.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 06:40

BF:

This is not strictly a NZ dynamic, as this transition to new nutritional awareness is happening gradually and needs to happen everywhere. For the most part, it has been taking place at a grass roots level. I'm happy to see a government taking the bold step to be open to and embrace a different view. That's really the unusual element of all this, and I applaud this decision regardless of the glib comments by the news hosts.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 14:44
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I'm currently watching this season of The Biggest Loser Transformed (Australia.) Their show is very unlike the USA version. A big part of the competition is buying, preparing and cooking what they call healthy meals.

In spite of the grassroots changes we've noted, in Australia an entire new generation is being taught the way to eat healthy is to leave out as much fat as possible. They even mentioned in the one I just watched, "You will serve as examples for your children so they'll know how to eat healthy."

Here we have 20-40 year old people struggling to lose fat by starving themselves of the best, healthiest and sometimes the cheapest nutrient, and teaching their children to do the same. I wish there were a law to protect the public. As we all know, there isn't.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but NZ and AU are neighbors and the "good news" about fat hasn't crossed the water yet.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 00:36

BF:

Pro-fat school food advisor ready for a scrap

Quote:
As the Ministry of Education’s newly-minted Chief Education Health and Nutrition Advisor, the promoter of a low-carb, high-fat diet expects to feel some push-back when he starts telling the Government his ideas for improving nutrition in schools. He says, “Bring it on.”

While there’s much that everyone involved agrees on – kids and adults should eat less sugar, more fruit and vegetables, more whole foods and less processed rubbish – they disagree on the merits of full fat dairy and meat versus diets high in wholegrain cereals and legumes.

Already, dietitians are asking questions about his appointment and whether it will lead to public confusion when it comes to fighting childhood obesity.

Official health ministry advice to school kids is to fill up on wholegrain carbs, drink low-fat milk and ration the likes of butter and meat fat, guidance Schofield whole-heartedly rejects but which influential public health researchers say remains the best option based on the overall weight of evidence.

The terms of Schofield’s employment mean he won’t have to conform with the official line: AUT will continue to employ him, but will loan him to the Ministry of Education, half-time, in return for the Government paying half his salary. The independence is crucial, he says. “As soon as you become an actual public servant your job is to enact Government policy and that impedes your ability to have free and frank discussions, and it’s important for my role that I still do that,” he says. “I’ll be challenging convention. The tradition of science is that hypotheses and convention are challenged and revised and to me that’s been the massive problem with public health, especially public health nutrition. You put your head up and expect that generally it will be shot off, and I think we’ve lacked progress because of that.”

As he sees it, obesity statistics show that the current advice isn’t working. Yet his butter-happy diet is still rejected by the likes of the Heart Foundation. Is he expecting push-back? “I’m totally expecting it, and bring it on,” he says. “For us to think we know all the answers already and it’s just matter of implementing them is utterly naïve, so if we are going to make progress in public health there is going to have to be robust, controversial and public scientific debate and I’ll be welcoming that, pushing and challenging these guys and I hope they challenge me.”

Meanwhile, someone's upset already:

Quote:
Dear Ministry of Education,
Dr Schofield's research interests include areas of nutrition controversy, and he makes public statements that are in conflict with the current Ministry of Health recommendations on Diet and Nutrition. I am concerned this is going to result in greater confusion for the public and poorer health outcomes due to a lack of coordinated effort on childhood obesity

1) Please can you provide me with the document outlining the scope and remit of the Chief Education Health and Nutrition Advisor?
2) Please can you provide the documentation outlining the process followed in the appointment of Dr Schofield to this role.
3) Please can you advise which organisation with interest in either child health or nutrition were consulted by the Ministry of Education as part of the process of making the appointment to this position?
4) What processes are being initiated by the Ministry of Education to ensure that any work done on childhood health and nutrition is done to create a synergy between the work of the Ministry of Health and this new role in Ministry of Education?

Yours faithfully,

Helen Gibbs
New Zealand Registered Dietitian
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 03:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Always the RDs, not MDs, that squawk over this stepping on their turf.
Caryn Zinn, an RD, was in hot water with the NZ RD association over her public stance on high-fat, though not charged with anything and continues to practice.

But this RD has good points...how did this come about that one Ministry hired someone whose Advice conflicts with the Health ministry? The material currently distributed by a child's doctor and in the school's health classes will be at odds on major parts of exactly what is healthy food. In the US, low fat milk is mandated in schools and the food programs, how will this work in NZ? Prof Schofield has quite the job ahead.

Many thanks Grav for the TV video and these quotes
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 04:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Just piling on here and

Janet wrote: "...In the US, low fat milk is mandated in schools and the food programs, how will this work in NZ? Prof Schofield has quite the job ahead."

First hand evidence from a K-12 school in the UP of Michigan in the USA. Thing change but change slowly at the level of the government. Slow change is good in my opinion, it allows some to forget how wrong they were and accept the new paradigm (just my random thinking)...

We live in interesting times to watch the shift in dietary perspective eh Grav?

image of poster proclaiming the benefits of low fat chocolate milk - What can't it fix!!

#14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 08:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I like how they point out where the muscles, bones and energy are in the body.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 09:22

BF:

Hopefully, not too far off topic: How insidious is the poster? It would be more telling to have a poster with two people, the first being a young Olympian and before the damages caused by a lifetime of SAD eating, and the second being an Olympian at the age of 65 who has been through years of SAD eating and consumed sweetened dairy products since being a young Olympian. Just an observation . . . .