Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/270/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Exercise or Surgery?

Call me crazy (or call me "Loca") but I have begun a savings just for plastic surgery I might need once I've reached my goal weight to get rid of unwanted and unsightly loose skin (especially under my arms and stomach).

Can anyone tell me if this is generally necessary for someone who has stretched themselves to 325 lbs?

Please advise. Thanx!

Loqui
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 07:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Loqui, whether the skin will "shrink" with you or not depends on a few factors. Age is one. The younger you are the more elastic your skin is and the more likely it is to be less flabby (for lack of a better term) once you've lost the weight. Exercise helps. The rate at which you lose the weight is also a factor. A rapid loss is much harder on your body and your skin. Slow and stead wins this race too.

There is a treatement out there that involves deep massage to stimulate the breakdown of fat (and in some cases cellulite) by increasing the funtioning of the lymph system. It has been used to help cancer patients who's bodies are riddled with toxins from both the disease and the treatement for the disease (your lymphatic system flushes toxins from your body). It also aids in improving elasticity. For the past 2 weeks I have been doing something called "brushing" for 10 minutes twice a day while I shower... It involves circular brush strokes with one of those body brushes you get at a pharmacy (or store similar to the body shop). 8 or 10 brushes done toward the heart / lymph nodes. I've found my skin has improved in texture and most noticeably softness.

That being said, everyone's body reacts differently to weight loss. I suggest you keep moving toward your goal and see how things progress. Training with weights to build muscle will do nothing but help you and make losing easier. Moisturizing daily will also help. Much is up to mother nature. As you approach your goal you can reevaluate and make a better desicion.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 07:40
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Question

I was wondering what is considered "younger" for having skin that is more elastic? What is the age frame?
I like your suggestion about the brush because that is what my female doctor suggested.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 07:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara
I was wondering what is considered "younger" for having skin that is more elastic? What is the age frame?
I like your suggestion about the brush because that is what my female doctor suggested.

I'd imagine that would depend on the individual, Lessara. A dermatologist could probably give you a rough idea, but I certainly cant. I've seen 50 year olds with skin that looks better than some 20 year olds. Nutrition and exercise must also be factors. Take a look at Tina Turner

Good to hear about the brushing though... I have been doing it at least once a day sometimes twice and I can tell you that my skin does feel a LOT softer and smoother. I think it will take longer to see more dramatic results.

Nat