Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:00

Plan: PP
Stats: 180/142/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Building muscle on high protein vs. high carb?

I searched this forum to find this answer but came up empty. Does anybody have any idea if you build muscle faster eating high protein versus high carb? I would imagine so, as bodybuilders traditionally have eaten high protein diets and muscle fiber is comprised of protein blocks, but I'd like more than anecdotal evidence.

The reason why I'm asking is because I've done both - the high carb thing with working out with weights, and now I'm doing high protein and doing the same kind of workout. I seem to be building muscles at a good steady pace, but faster than before. Could it also be that I'm not retaining so much water weight so my muscles are more defined and just look like I'm building faster?

Also, I notice less soreness, if that makes any sense. I weight train every other day, giving my muscles a good 48 hours to rebuild and repair between workouts. It also allows me to get over any soreness, but I'm finding out that I'm not very sore. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:08

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default tricky

Well, a low protein/high carb diet won't supply you with the amino acids needed to repair/build tissue. Muscle is made of amino acids and water, and requires them in the growth and repair processes.

A high protein/low carb diet obviously is abundant in amino acids, but since the carbs are low, some of the aminos are going to be used as fuel by the body. So, you have to be sure that you take in enough to satisfy both processes.

It sounds as if you are on the mark with your intake, since you notice less soreness/improved recovery and see gains in muscle ... although increased definition can be attributed to fat loss, as you suspected.

Now, if one is looking to grow the most muscle possible but is not concerned with fat loss -- especially if strength is trying to be improved -- then a combo moderate carb/high protein diet is actually best.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 11:26

Plan: PP
Stats: 180/142/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Thanks Dan!

That's what I was hoping - glad to know I'm not "off" in my thinking!

I'm not looking to be hugely muscular, just very fit and firm. I know from previous experience that I burn calories at a fabulous rate when I have a decent amount of muscle, so that's my goal. But previously I did it with high carb. So things feel different this time around - much less soreness and it just feels like I'm building faster.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, LOL!