Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 16:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/193/161
BF:
Progress: 18%

I got Macadamia nuts in Tesco's today. The make is Sundora, they are 2.7g carb per 100g, cost £1.49.
Why are they so hard to get???
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 05:43

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I don't know why they are so hard to get. Lidl often have them, in tins, but not always.
They do have an odd texture, I think, because they are so rich, maybe. However, I will look out for them in tesco's. Thanks for the tip.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 17:26

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%
Default Tesco finest

Hi guys,
Tesco do a really good selection of chicken dishes in their "Finest Range".
I had Thai Chicken last week, which was lovely, quite lemony, only about 3 carbs per serving. I'm trying Chicken Chasseur this week, which is only 3.2 carbs per serving. They have other dishes too that I've tried and so far all good. Most are £3.99 for the pack but they contain 2 chicken breasts, so a meal for 2 or a meal for 1 over 2 nights.
Excellent choice if you want something easy and tasty to just stick in the oven when you get in from work. They freeze well too.

Enjoy
Ali
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 16:21

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Forget the chicken chasseur...it was horrible !!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 12:48

Plan: The Idiot Proof Diet
Stats: 321/321/240 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Splenda

My local Co-op (West Oxfordshire) sells Splenda - a big jar for £2.35 (and didn't have to cough up a fiver for delivery charge!)
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 02:45

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up M & S

Reena was lured into the food hall at Marks & Spencer in Oxford Street today......

Really good ranges to try...the side salads are yum (had the green salad for dinner)...prawn cocktail (~ only 2.2g carbs per 100g)...little packages of sliced chicken fillets ideal for eating on the go....and dinky 50g packages of veggies that you can microwave for meals....deli fillers with few carbs....crispy bacon ....cream cheese with pepper/herbs....the list goes on...

highly recommended....
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 11:00
Registered Member

Stats: 137/130/107
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Chicken Forestiere

Found this Chicken Forestiere in Marks and Spencer last night - Chicken breasts (2) in a dark gravy - mushrooms and some wine.

The best bit only 0.7g carbs per serving. I am on induction so couldn't have any vegetables - so ate both portions. Lovely change from fried meat or roast chicken.

Will enjoy it even more when off induction with some veg.

I hope it doesn't do any harm.

fx
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:20
Registered Member

Stats: 250/240/110 Female 5ft 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%

1. Sansburys's and Safeway stock Splenda in large jars of granular form (£2.19), and tablet form (£1.45 for 100 tablets or £3.85 for 300 tablets).

2. Safeway - in section where they keep all packs of salads etc they have fresh dressings in little bottles....found a great Ceaser Salad dressing ~ £1.09 for 175ml ~ only 1g carbs per 100ml!

3. Waitrose - premium pork sausages at 0.8g carbs per sausage cost £2.09 for 8, or premium pork chipolata sausages at 0.4g carbs per sausage cost £1.99 for 12.

4. Marks & Spencer - thin cut bacon - really delicious due to the very fine cut slices ...and trace carbs.....forgot exact price, but often on offer.

5. Waitrose - organic crunchy/smooth peanut butter - £1.09....tastes really great compared to some of the other peanut butters with no added sugar..... ~ approx 10g carbs per 100g.

6. Most supermarkets - Loosely Cottage Cheese - has fewer carbs than all other brands i have seen.

7. Sainsbury's - Taste The Difference Cream Cheese - blue and white packaging - 99p - fewer carbs than philadelphia and other brands of cream cheese.

8. Heinz chopped tomatoes ~ 2.9g carbs per 100g...the lowest carb chopped tomatoes i can find! Their other products in the tomato range ae also very low carb.

9. Gia pastes - most supermarkets - chilli puree/sun dried tomato puree/garlic paste/pesto - all very low carb - approx 99p

All that i can remember right now, but i know i have more.....will be back when i can remember!
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:34

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi you guys.

if any of you is still on the lookout for Splenda, I found some in a Sainsbury's in Maidenhead, Berkshire..
Meaning what?... that if they are still not showing on your favorite Sainsbury's shelves, you can ask for it and use that example..
Ignore this if liberally available now.

I had read a thread some while ago about people looking to get their hands on Splenda...

And yes... each time I go back to the UK, I cannot leave without the sacred trip to Sainsbury's or Tesco
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:48

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

and I forgot this... because their ready meals are so tasty, I usually spend 30 minutes in the food aisles going through the indian chicken this, chinese chickent that, spinach chicken etc..... reading the labels and choosing those that have NO sugar at all.
Then, I look at the carbs counts. Depending on the amount, I either simply eat all the meat or split the dish in smaller (yet appreciable) portions.

That is it. You guys are spoilt for choice.

Here in Holland, it is soooooooooooooooo dry in terms of choices. We have to do the hard work...which I have to admit again, I do enjoy, it is interesting to select the foods and adapt them.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 17:29
Registered Member

BF:

Sainsburys - in the "free from...." range - dairy free unsweetened Soya UHT ....only 1g carbs per 250ml and costs 55p for 500ml...

This is great to add to protein shake instead of water for a thicker consistency...or instead of milk for less carbs.

#57   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 17:36
Registered Member

BF:

1. Sainsbury's - Kettle Preto Bean Salsa - £1.99 for 300g at 8.0g carbs per 100g. I add 1tbsp to mince - makes it taste like chilli!

2. Sainsbury's - in organic section (often next to eggs) - hazelnut butter - £1.79 - often hard to find in the UK unless you go to special shops.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 13:47
Registered Member

BF:

GNC (I go to the one in Bond Street Station, London)...stocks Designer Whey protein shake (the one that we keep hearing about from our fellow american/canadian friends!) in Natural, Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate flavours....£13.99 for 340g or 908g (don't know price).

Last edited by Reena : Sat, Feb-15-03 at 13:49.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 11:39

Stats: 224/204/141
BF:35/?/24
Progress: 24%
Default foods

I'm impressed, you guys obviously know your stuff.

I can only add that Kabana (polish, pork) sausages are very low in carb - often just a trace. They are very tasty. You can either get them pre-packed or from the delicatessan in most supermarkets.

Good luck Reena, we are both at the same place at the moment I'm 204 lbs, heading down to 141 lbs (at the moment, I may re-adjust when I get there). We started at similar places too!

Curious to know that as a medical student, do you get into a lot of debate about Atkins or low carbing with your colleagues?

Best of luck to all, Ant
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 14:56
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Ant!
I notice your message till today, i think i'll visit your journal....maybe we could be LC buddies since we have very similar starting points??

I've been on the prowl again this week, lol ...

1. Clearspring Organic Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - £1.29 for 55g. 0.6g carbs for the whole pack. Delicious. I found mine in the organic section in Sanisbury's, but apparentely available in most health food shops, and a few other supermarkets also.

2. Provamel from Alpro Soya (Organic) - approx £1.29 for 1litre. The organic one (red packet) had the lowest carbs at 0.4g per 100ml. The version with added calcium and vitamins was just slightly higher in carbs.
To be honest, i prefer the Unsweetened Soya UHT by Sainsbury's (in a post somewhere above)...they have a 1litre size for 95p (aswell as 500ml size)...which is cheaper than provamel.

3. Waitrose have some very low carb beef burgers in their fresh and frozen range:

4 Angus Beef Quarter Pounders (fresh) for £2.19 at 0.3g carbs per burger.
2 Angus Beef Grill Steaks (fresh) for £? (forgot exact price!) at 1.7g carbs each.

4 Angus Beef Quarter Pounders (frozen) for £1.99 at trace carbs each.
8 Angus Beef Burgers (frozen) for £1.99 at trace carbs each.

4. Herta Hotdogs (beware of preservatives etc...may stall some).
Have normal sized and jumbo frankfurters at 2g carbs per 100g. A packet of 4 jumbo frankfurters weighs 360g and costs £2.09.

Reena