Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 06:16
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Exactly.

In addition, I often see people looking for a diet that will "let" them carb cycle, or "allow more carbs" or is "less strict" or even "more strict" and I wish to point out, very firmly, that it does not matter what the diet says.

What matters is how our individual bodies work. Our body is the one who sets the carb level, reacts to exercise (or not) and accepts certain kinds of carbs and reacts to others with cravings and weight gain.

The diet can't tell us that. The forum can't tell us that. Only our body can.

The very best plans are the ones we all craft for ourselves.
Well said, WB! I can't agree more!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 07:05

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

On the one hand its a good idea to follow a plan. It helps with discipline and in retraining ourselves how to eat. On the other hand all plans are not created equal and if we adopt a plan without first using our intelligence and common sense in evaluating the plan before adopting it and along the way while while we are following it, we are setting ourselves up for failure. In other words select a plan that makes sense in terms of your goals and then evaluate as you go along.

Jean
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 07:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Exactly.

In addition, I often see people looking for a diet that will "let" them carb cycle, or "allow more carbs" or is "less strict" or even "more strict" and I wish to point out, very firmly, that it does not matter what the diet says.

What matters is how our individual bodies work. Our body is the one who sets the carb level, reacts to exercise (or not) and accepts certain kinds of carbs and reacts to others with cravings and weight gain.

The diet can't tell us that. The forum can't tell us that. Only our body can.

The very best plans are the ones we all craft for ourselves.

I am a good example of this! When I tried Carbohydrate Addicts Diet it was because it allowed oppurtunities for starches and sweets. After reading through posts here and reading articles and reading the book, I really thought it would work better for me than Atkins had. Then one day I got the bright idea to test my blood glucose....that changed everything! I started to see how that one high carb meal (allowed on CAD) was shooting my blood glucose into the danger zone. So no matter what the book said, and no matter how well it worked for someone else, I know that it will not work to improve *my* health.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 07:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan
I am a good example of this! When I tried Carbohydrate Addicts Diet it was because it allowed oppurtunities for starches and sweets. After reading through posts here and reading articles and reading the book, I really thought it would work better for me than Atkins had. Then one day I got the bright idea to test my blood glucose....that changed everything! I started to see how that one high carb meal (allowed on CAD) was shooting my blood glucose into the danger zone. So no matter what the book said, and no matter how well it worked for someone else, I know that it will not work to improve *my* health.

This is what I meant, exactly! People have this tendency to think "the plan" has more power than it does. By all means choose a plan, but if we are following it, with no cheats, and it's not working, it is a sign that perhaps this plan is not the right one for us.

I tried calorie counting for a couple of decades with no ability to maintain my losses. I did low fat/high exercise for almost ten years, with steadily decreasing returns. Atkins did wonders, and by "climbing the carb ladder" I learned what foods worked for me, and which foods worked against me.

Then I refined my efforts, with a Primal (Paleo with dairy) slant, and now using Dr. Fung's approaches to Intermittent Fasting to get rid of the weight I put on with a certain medication. But only because they work for me. There's been things other folks do that work great for them, and not for me.

There might be people out there who count calories and go to the gym and keep weight off for years that way. But this has a 95% failure rate. This is not a good plan for all those people
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

WereBear, truer words were never spoken.

I initially avoided Atkins, d/t health professional bias, LOL.

I did great on Wheatbelly for the first 20 lbs. But then couldn't lose any more without dropping carbs, and a 45-50 net per day wasn't working anymore.

My mom was an inveterate dieter, from the lamb chops every night on the old "Mayo Clinic" diet to WW to who knows what.

When she got sick, and became emaciated, her biggest happiness was that she could eat pretty much anything, because her caregivers wanted her to gain. All those years, following bad diets to the letter, only to regain, had left her with constant cravings.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-18, 17:57

Plan: Diet workshop
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 5’3”
BF:
Progress:
Default 1970’s diet workshop

I have the diet, loved that diet. I lost 75 lbs in 9 months. I found the book It’s in to be thin, by Lois Lyons Lindauer. It has the diet in it. I have my original papers too.i don’t know why I keep trying other diets when this one worked great.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-18, 18:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

DId you look on amazon for a used copy??? Or strt visiting every used book store you can find. That is how I found my many copies of DANDR. Usually a BIG dieting section.

I understand the need for structure, we all have different needs to suceed, and often very structured food menus make life ....well ... more successful !

Good luck.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 01:23

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Does this set the record for the longest conversation on this site?

2003 question asked.

2018 answers still coming.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 03:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Some diets are "classics", and some members like me are too
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 03:41

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Some diets are "classics", and some members like me are too

Hahaha...very true.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 03:49

There are a number of the 1975 paperbacks for sale if anyone wants to walk down memory lane. https://www.amazon.com/Its-Thin-LOI...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 11:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
Does this set the record for the longest conversation on this site?

2003 question asked.

2018 answers still coming.
It's because we rank really high on google searches. This topic in particular doesn't seem to have much recent "chatter" about it. That's probably how you found us, right MuBlue?
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-19, 22:04

Stats: 320/320/175 Female 69
BF:
Progress:
Default Could you share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mublue
I have the diet, loved that diet. I lost 75 lbs in 9 months. I found the book It’s in to be thin, by Lois Lyons Lindauer. It has the diet in it. I have my original papers too.i don’t know why I keep trying other diets when this one worked great.

Could you share this please?
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-19, 04:51

Welcome BigRed
You need to read through this thread of replies with the posting dates noted...but some places noted to find it were in the not too distant past.
If you want to consider other current versions of very low diets introduce yourself https://forum.lowcarber.org/ and members can give suggestions, or read back through the forums that interest you. https://forum.lowcarber.org/