Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 11:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Post Fat cells communicate with nerve cells

NEW YORK, Oct 18 (Reuters Health) - Researchers have discovered that fat cells have the ability to communicate with nerve cells outside the brain and may have more control over their own destiny than previously thought.

In the study, the researchers grew fat cells and nerve cells in the same container separated by a thin membrane.

The investigators found that the fat cells sent a chemical signal to the nerve cells to increase production of neuropeptide Y (NPY). NPY is a chemical known to signal the brain to stop burning fat and to start eating.

However, the exact chemical that is secreted by the fat cells to tell nerve cells to make NPY is still unknown, according to Dr. Christine Turtzo of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, and colleagues. Their findings are published in the October 16th issue of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Based on the current findings, Turtzo told Reuters Health that nerve cells outside the brain have the ability to secrete NPY and keep fat cells in storage, as opposed to using them for energy output.

Essentially, there are "fat cells telling the nerve cells, 'Don't stimulate me,'" co-author Dr. Daniel Lane told Reuters Health in an interview.

The researchers hope that the findings will help them to understand more about why certain types of fat cells are more likely to be associated with ill health.

For instance, people with a greater proportion of fat cells that are stored in the abdomen region of the body as opposed to those stored underneath the skin anywhere in the body are more likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease and diabetes, Turtzo explained.

"We don't know why the two different types of fat cells behave differently, but we know that fat in the abdomen has a greater amount of nerves associated with them," she added.

"If you can control what the fat cell is doing then you might be able to control the problem (of obesity)," Lane said.

SOURCE: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2001;98:12385-12391.

http://www.reutershealth.com/archiv...018elin011.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 11:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

I find these discoveries to be very fascinating. Up till now, fat cells and fat tissue were considered to be inert ... and that it only functioned passively, ie as a storage-form of potential energy, or as insulation. Now we can see that it is metabolically active and functional.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 12:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

How amazing Doreen;

I would like to thank you for sharing your research here, I tend to do better at something when I know exactly what is going on.

Knowledge is power!

I always had a sneaking suspicion that the fat cells were talking and I was pretty sure it wasnt in my favour.

Holly
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 18:26

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think I can hear my fat cells screaming: " Please don't kill me, I am only an innocent cell ! "
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 19:23

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default research

doreen -

i just wanted to thank you for sharing this knowledge with all of us. i love finding out this type of information. can't wait to get your next posting
Brenda