Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-00, 11:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

I've been wanting to post to the FAD thing since it started; everytime I'd research first then go to post, someone beat me to it And said it much better than I would!

By yesterday, I was so frustrated and angry - still so many narrow-minded, blind ignoramuses (ignoramii??) out there, making blanket statements about lowcarbing that have been proven false over and over again. I often got the drift that these negative people were still stuck back in the 70's, looking at Yudkin, Stillman and the early Atkins.

After going for a long hike to blow off steam (ALWAYS works) I came home and looked again. I saw things in a different light, something new and strange started to appear to me as I surfed and read.

1.) Most of the CANADIAN dietetic sites I visited never mentioned lowcarb in their discussion of FAD diets. Although they did suggest the proper healthful diet was one that including a variety of foods from all food groups, plenty of exercise and drinking lots of water. Just like what Atkins, Eades, Sears, Heller, et al promote. (I also noted these sites had been updated recently, in 2000).

2.) The worst sites for slamming lowcarb were U.S. sites, especially the "ask-a-dietician" types, and commercial sites like Prevention.com, whose advertisers are processed food manufacturers, and pharmaceutical companies peddling anti-depressants and cholesterol-lowering drugs. No vested interest there, eh?

3.) Many of the references cited by #2 (when they used references, usually they didn't; just made blatant statements) were from 1990 or earlier. So much has been discovered since then, especially in the area of dietary fats, and in protein metabolism/sports medicine.

4.) The American Heart Association website has not been updated since 1998, and still plugs the high-carb, grain & legume based diet, and avoid all fats. The Canadian Heart & Stroke Foundation, updated in 2000, promotes a healthy diet, with veggies & fruit topping the list, grains etc come in at #3. Fats are not killers, they even say it's ok to use BUTTER!!! Will wonders never cease??

HERE IT IS, FROM CANADIAN H & S FOUND'N:
..... five guidelines to get you off to a healthy start:

(A) Choose lower-fat alternatives. ....Of the fat you do use, try to choose mono and poly unsaturated fats such as olive oil, canola and soft, non-hydrogenated margarines. Use less butter, margarine, lard and cooking oil; .....

(B) Eat leaner meat and more alternatives......Limit serving of meat to the size of a deck of cards (about four ounces).....( doreen's NOTE - previously, meat was limited to 2-3 oz per serving, 4 - 6oz per DAY)

(C) Eat more vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
Load up your plate with vegetables, fruits and grains. Aim for 5+ servings of vegetables, fruits and grains daily.....( doreen's NOTE - previously, was 6-12 servings of breads, 4-7 servings of veggies)

(D) Eat less salt.

(E) Drink less alcohol.

Just a little twig in my intuition folks, but I think the tide is already starting to turn. And CANADA seems to be taking the lead. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Canada's Food Guide out in the early new year; it hasn't been changed since 1995.

Just my opinion, what do you think??

Doreen

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-00, 12:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up

You're on to something here Doreen. This adds more depth to Fad debate! We should publish something on these findings?

Wa'il