Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 01:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345?/339/165 Female 5'5"
BF:63
Progress: 0%
Exclamation DD & I starting 11/8/2004 (long)

Hi all! We are new to this board so I'm going to give you a little background. I am 34 5'5" approx. 375lb (scale won't register) ugh! I have had a weight problem since I was 6. Tried everything under the sun. I am familiar with atkins and I know it works, so we are really going to give it our all. My biggest weakness right now is that I HATE to cook, have found a few good :"quick recipes" that I'm going to give a try.

DD (Kayla) is 10 and she weighs in around 178 she is probably 4'10" right now. She is soooo following in my foot steps. This was her decision to go on with me so hopefully we can be each others inspiration. She is being humiliated at school, as kids can be so cruel. It breaks my heart, I know exactly how she is feeling. She is in a misses size 18, but her legs are so short that we have to buy capris for her pants. She wants so bad to wear a the "cool" clothes. I am trying to insert photo below, not sure if I did it right is Kayla and her real life baby doll DD Tabitha on election day.

What the rest of the family DH and DS don't realize is that they will be mostly doing LC also, as I certainly don't run a diner here, and as I said before, I hate cooking. So what we have they are going to have as well. He!He!

Enough rambling. I could use some quick, easy lunch ideas for Kayla. Something that isn't going to be gross by the time she gets to eat lunch, etc. Please help!

[IMG]

Renee
375?/375/300 (mini goal)
Kayla
178/178/?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img00682.JPG (20.8 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 02:16

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Good luck to you both,! quick easy lunches that I pack myself and my LIL sister are "roll ups" of ham and cheese, cheese cubes, beef jerky, celery, brocoli,cauliflower and a lil thing of ranch dressing( make sure you put one of those "cold" packs in her box to keep it cool) ... i freeze my water the night before and its unthawed by lunch time and if shes very active ( like if she has gym that day ) I pack her almonds

and dont forget the jello!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 06:04

Stats: 215/142.5/139 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 95%

Good for you for deciding to take the innitiaitive!! Atkins is really a great diet because there really are so many things you can eat, and NOT BE HUNGRY! After induction, she could have low carb bread to make sandwiches. You can even spead on the mayo!
Otherwise, cheese sticks, the toppings from a pizza, veggies, dressing. You could even give her some macademia or cashew nuts!
Good luck!
RO
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 09:20

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

with her as young as she is you may want to just lower her carbs but not induction levels... just cut out the sugar and white flour... and sodas... give her lc bread
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 20:16
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

At your daughter's age, you don't want to go too low on the carbs. She could probably pack sandwiches on lowcarb, whole grain bread for lunch as long as the contents of the sandwiches stay lowcarb -- meat or even peanut butter. Atkins recommends maintenance level carbs for children, so that gives you a lot of flexibility. Ideally, you want to stop her weight gain and perhaps have her lose a little very slowly, but if the weight gain stops, her increase in height over the next couple of years will naturally make her somewhat slimmer. Both my kids went from chubby just before their adolescent growth spurt to quite thin by the time they finished it. Your daughter is starting out significantly heavier than they did, so she probably won't end up thin, but she may well slim down considerably if you can just help her eat healthy and get exercise now.

Has she been evaluated by a doctor to make sure there is no underlying medical condition causing her weight?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 21:48
Registered Member

Stats: 345?/339/165 Female 5'5"
BF:63
Progress: 0%

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We have been to the DR and he did all kinds of blood work, etc. Kayla has no underlying problems and has the Dr's okay for induction. We are going to try this induction on her for 2 weeks, then go back for more blood work & check up. He will be monitoring her closely through this. I would not of allowed it otherwise. We did all of our measurements today & made a free website with our before pictures, beware, mine are horrific. I honestly didn't believe I was that huge! I've been camera shy for a long time, now I really see why! Will definately keep up the photos, for inspiration. We cleaned out all the cabinets & the fridge today & went to the grocery, so were set for tomorrow!

Renee
http://81x.com/rhall859/Photo_Album
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 08:56

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 210.8/193.5/120 Female 66 in
BF:44/??/15%
Progress: 19%

Renee, be so proud of yourself that you are taking this step to gain better health for you and your family. You can do it! We are all here behind you.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 00:25

Stats: 204/156/124 Female 5'1"
BF:BMI 38.5/30/23.4
Progress: 60%

I sincerely hope you will have great succes with this way of eating. The first week is the hardest. Once you combat the crappy feelings of sugar withdrawal, you will feel much better. Make sure your daughter eats at least twenty carbs every day. No skimping for her or for you either. You can eat almost as much lettuce as you want because it is very low carb. If you are hungry, eat. Eat the meats, veggies and fats you really like as it makes it much easier. Read this forum. Devour all the information you can from the newbie section and everywhere else. This will help strengthen you for this huge change to your eating and food preparation routines. The more you read, the more you can avoid the mistakes that others have made before you. If you have questions, ask them.

My most important advice, is do a CLEAN Induction. It makes it so much easier to rid yourself of the sugar cravings. Don't cheat during Induction. Not even once. Always have food you can eat handy so that temptation and hunger cannot play their little games with your mind.

All of us want you and your daughter to succeed! We have all been at the beginning of this way of eating and know how hard it is to change. If you can stick with it, it will be you one year from now, helping others who are just starting out.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 16:26
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm glad to hear you have been to the doctor and he improved Kayla dong lowcarb.

I just looked at your pictures and I really think you'll be successful at this. You both show the same pattern of weight gain that I had -- concentrated in the middle of your body, especially the abdominal area. That pattern of weight gain indicates that you are probaly insulin resistant and low carbing seems to work wonders for people who are insulin-resistant. I could never stick to any other diet, but low carbing just seems right to me.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 18:19

Stats: 299/270/175 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi, I just wantd to give you some more support, My family and my parents have been doing a lcwol for almost 2 yrs, and I have a 5 yr old son, and My parents have my 11 year old dsister, Both of the kids do LC right along with the rest of the family, Pizza night at my parents is pretty funny and my DBF laughs every time I order Pizza for dinner B/C All we have left is a box of crust!!! both of the kids bring their lunches to school, this seems to be the only way to monitor what they eat, My DS and Son eat eggs for B-fast, and when they do have cereal, it is usualy rice crispies or a non sweetened cereal, or the new lower sweet cereals on occasion. I lucked out when I got the son who prefers fresh broccoli over chocolate cake but that is probably due to the fact that we have always done a LC in moderation at our house,
my sister on the other hand thinks that LC is awful and hates it but she doesn't have a choice and actually her weight seems to be controlled she hasn't gained, so thats what we wanted,

I wanted to give you some easy tips also b/c you and your daughter can do this, and I to know what it feels like to be different at school, some things the kids bring to schol that they share in there lunch box are: celery with PB on them, DS loves to bring fresh broccoli with Ranch dressing in a cup, and LC milk (even Choclate) made by hood and actually my sisters friends actually ask for the LC Hood choc milk when they come over they LOVE it, If they drink soda waist watchers is made with Splenda and they have lots of "cool flavors" , lunch meat rolls is another of my sons favorites, and you will find things that she really likes and wants for a snack, DS likes to snack on meatballs, good luck and remember you can both do this,