Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/154 Male 181 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default some carbs necessary?

Howdy folks,

I'm new to the forum. In the last couple of months I've reduced my carb intake dramatically and I'm seeing the results. I'm also a fitness nut, though, and while I find that some carbs are necessary for me if I dont want my workouts to be a hellish slog through exhaustion... So far, a formula that seems to work for me is eating plenty of vegetables, including some starchy vegetables, and one cup of brown rice with my evening meal (I work out in the mornings). I don't need refined sugar, at all, I'm happy to say...

I'd be interested to know how other athletic types have navigated this issue? What works for you?

Thanks!
Lucas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 15:26

Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

You have to do what works for you. And hopefully some of our very wise folks here will answer your question.

In a nutshell...no, you don't need carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 15:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

You need to be in ketosis and that way you burn fat not carbs/glucose for energy. So you need to keep carbs to a minimum (under 20g a day to start with) and eat plenty of fats - butter, coconut oil, avacados, nuts etc. Thats basically how it works.

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 15:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

This chap is a good one to look at if you're into serious exercise etc http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutri...-dietary-ideas/

Jo xxx
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 17:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I feel much better with 40-70 carbs per day. On athletic days or not. This way it's always "go time" and I never worry about crashing or exhaustion. I don't have to watch my available glycogen for sugar-burning exercise.

I would never do sugar-burning exercise every day though. I'm with Sisson on "chronic cardio" where he talks how perhaps we aren't built to go intense for hours every single day, without health consequences.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 19:52

Stats: 180/180/154 Male 181 cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your input guys! I used to think I couldnt work out without a good intake of refined sugars, and I've since found out that that's not the case at all, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if my current perception of needing to have some small amount of rice isn't entirely accurate either.. I guess I'll just need to experiment a bit and see what works for me... so far, upping my intake of leafy greens and protein has improved my workouts and energy quite a bit...

Seejay, who's is Sisson? I might look him up and do some reading...

thanks everyone!
Lucas
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-14, 08:06

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Mark Sisson of the "Primal Blueprint" nutrition and exercise program. He has really good stuff for active people. Best is to google him and start reading what appeals to you!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-14, 08:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Google "Mark's Daily Apple" to find him.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-14, 06:45
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/152/160 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaslucas
Howdy folks,

I'm new to the forum. In the last couple of months I've reduced my carb intake dramatically and I'm seeing the results. I'm also a fitness nut, though, and while I find that some carbs are necessary for me if I dont want my workouts to be a hellish slog through exhaustion... So far, a formula that seems to work for me is eating plenty of vegetables, including some starchy vegetables, and one cup of brown rice with my evening meal (I work out in the mornings). I don't need refined sugar, at all, I'm happy to say...

I'd be interested to know how other athletic types have navigated this issue? What works for you?

Thanks!
Lucas

Look into CKD and TKD type diets, (cyclic and targeted ketogenic Diets respectively). I do think you will have different needs if you are truly a fitness nut, so keep that in mind. Here is a link talking about it
http://www.ruled.me/3-ketogogenic-diets-skd-ckd-tkd/ I haven't read that, so maybe I should link it, but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

If you are looking for straight information about Ketogenic Diets, I would advise getting some books. I started with Atkins a very long time ago(1998 I think), which was informative at the time, I think you can skip it though. I'm not sure if I'll be breaking forum rules saying this, but "the Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald is a must read in my opinion, he has other books targeted more towards weight lifters, but the basics of why low carb diets work are outlined there.

I personally don't do ketogenic diets really, unless and when I want to lean out. I do eat fruit on most days. My diet is more or less just real foods, meats, fish, eggs, veggies, fruits and such, just minus rice and potatoes and starchy veggies like corn. I've been doing this a long time, and it's very much a low carb way of eating, when you don't eat packaged(processed) food, carbs are hard to get outside potatoes or rice.

Last edited by CalebD : Sun, Jun-22-14 at 06:57. Reason: added a link