Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Abs of Steel

I have been working out with a trainer twice a week and doing cardio and yoga 5x a week. I am working hard on upper body flab. I got the abs of steel as a supplement but I'm not sure its a good use of time. Basically I would have to be a lot stronger in other areas before I can do the exercises with good form, so I don't feel it much in the abs. There is a large section of squats and pushups which I end up feeling in my legs and chest and nothing in my abs.

Is it possible those exercises are working my abs but I just don't feel it? Is it better for me to concentrate on crunches and pelvic lifts until I'm stronger?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:40

Plan: Loony plans
Stats: 205/146/145 Male 5'6" - 167cm
BF:28%/ around 10%/7%
Progress: 98%
Default ABZ

Hey,

You don't need to work your abs to see them.

Dropping your bodyfat alone is enough for you to see/feel them.

However, if you want to build peaks and valleys in your midsection, squats and pushups hit the abs indirectly, thus there isn't enough stress on the muscle fibers to cause hypertrophy.

I recommend training abs directly at least once a week, knowing that you practice yoga.

Janet Jackson swears by low repetitions (around 12) while Britney Spears trains her abs every single day with high repetitions.

I don't like Britney, so I will go for Janet

In my humble opinion, I would recommend that you keep on doing what you are doing, plus hit your abs once or even twice a week.

I hope this helps.

Loony
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks for your humble opinion, sounds like you know what you're doing. I'm not going for the muscular look, but my abs look like jello right now. I just want overall tone and to not be embarressed in a 2 piece.