Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 03:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Glanced at the last two pages of your journal. You are not IF according to Dr Fung's guidelines. BPC breaks a fast with a couple hundred calories. That's a breakfast meal, then you are having lunch and dinner too. His most basic fast protocol was one meal/day for three days of the week. Only water, plain tea or coffee (at most 1 teaspoon of cream),or broth for the 23 hours of fasting, then a normal sized dinner.

Two excellent articles to consider about misinterpreting this "upping the fat" advice. If you still have an "on-board pantry" and you eat real LC foods, there is no need to add much fat beyond a litttle bit for cooking or on greens. Your BPCs are adding 320 calories of fat! When you eat 3 eggs, that has 15g fat in the package already...You don't need to add 36 more grams of fat when you are 5'3" and quite sedentary (I tore my meniscus two months ago so completely understand but you do not need to eat an athletes diet right now. Note to self, cut down on the portions when not able to exercise )

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/

DietDoctor has a good interview with Dr Westman, on Advanced LC Tips, that answers many confusions about how much fat and food to eat, and those macros. The same website has guides and answers from Dr Fung about fasting.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-19-16 at 06:14.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 08:04

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbeauty
Do you go to your doctor and ask him to do these kinds of tests?
Good question. For me, no MD looked for D and iodine. It was when I went to an ND (naturopath) that it was part of the routine testing and it showed up. So if you have an MD I guess you would need to bring it up. MDs might not know about the connection between metabolism, thyroid, iodine, D, though, because of specialization - might think it's an endocrinologist's specialty (and then the endocrinologist doesn't look either). Not that I am bitter or anything.

Quote:
I have been basically eating only two meals a day and no not too much protein. And not too high in calories either.
I have been doing BPC to up my fats.
How many grams are you saying is not too much? maybe your body needs fewer nowadays.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 08:47
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Glanced at the last two pages of your journal. You are not IF according to Dr Fung's guidelines. BPC breaks a fast with a couple hundred calories. That's a breakfast meal, then you are having lunch and dinner too. His most basic fast protocol was one meal/day for three days of the week. Only water, plain tea or coffee (at most 1 teaspoon of cream),or broth for the 23 hours of fasting, then a normal sized dinner.

Two excellent articles to consider about misinterpreting this "upping the fat" advice. If you still have an "on-board pantry" and you eat real LC foods, there is no need to add much fat beyond a litttle bit for cooking or on greens. Your BPCs are adding 320 calories of fat! When you eat 3 eggs, that has 15g fat in the package already...You don't need to add 36 more grams of fat when you are 5'3" and quite sedentary (I tore my meniscus two months ago so completely understand but you do not need to eat an athletes diet right now. Note to self, cut down on the portions when not able to exercise )

DietDoctor has a good interview with Dr Westman, on Advanced LC Tips, that answers many confusions about how much fat and food to eat, and those macros. The same website has guides and answers from Dr Fung about fasting.

Thanks for this!! The BPC is God awful!
I will take advantage of the Diet Doctor site as I am hearing too much in this forum of what I should be doing... where it is what is working for them. it's already been tweaked.
No matter what my calories are still under 1000/ day and under 800 most days. But my fat is extremely high. Happy to cut back on that.
Thanks for the heads up Janet
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 09:00
Memere to 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Good question. For me, no MD looked for D and iodine. It was when I went to an ND (naturopath) that it was part of the routine testing and it showed up. So if you have an MD I guess you would need to bring it up. MDs might not know about the connection between metabolism, thyroid, iodine, D, though, because of specialization - might think it's an endocrinologist's specialty (and then the endocrinologist doesn't look either). Not that I am bitter or anything.

How many grams are you saying is not too much? maybe your body needs fewer nowadays.

Based on info out of Fitday

Ok... so lets look at this week. Last 3 days. (Bear in mind I ate more yesterday than usual lol.)

Oct 16 - Protein - 21.1 gr
Fat 84% Protein 9% Carb 7%

Oct 17 - Protein 44.9 gr
Fat 65% Protein 28% Carb 7%

Oct 18 - protein 32.9 gr
Fat 69% Protein 19% carb 13%

I will check in to seeing a naturopath. I will see if my extended covers that or if I need to shell out of pocket. That could be tough. but I'm very intrigued now.
BTW I do love my doctor as well. He is incredibly supportive no matter which WOE I am trying because I am trying.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 14:49

BF:

That's a pretty big calorie deficit. How did you decide how many calories?

If you are 5'3" tall, and 53 years old, and sedentary, that would be 1750 cals a day to maintain. If you have an average 900 calories a day, that's almost a 50% deficit.

Don't know what all is going on, but if your metabolism has slowed to a crawl, keeping a large deficit does not help.

Since the calculators estimate that you would lose 1.5 pounds a week, and you're losing 0, I bet it's your metabolism that is much slower than expected.

Your body might be freaked it's not getting enough protein for example and shut things down to conserve. I know it's weird but it's real - you can google "adaptive thermogenesis." It can happen with super low calorie and super high exercise, and you only have low calorie, but just a thought.

(according to this calculator Calorie calculator )
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 15:13
Memere to 4

You are absolutely right Seejay.
My daily calories are often 650 - 800
I didn't decide to cut in half my calories, but when I look back at my fitday from early and mid September,,, I was ingesting 1500 to 1700 calories a day. I did, however, quit snacking. And I did make my meals smaller because I am full. Not stuffed like I wanted to feel before but still full.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 09:01

BF:

Hm. Feeling satisfied is good.

Back when you were having 1500-1700, maybe that was so close to maintenance that you couldn't see the change.

650 to 800 is probably a bit low to feed your metabolism.

I think of metabolism like this tiny stoker guy shoveling stored fat into my fat burner. (remember the stokers for the furnaces in Titanic?) Stoker has to be fed with incoming food. If the stoker is weak and slow, and the furnace is cold, ain't no fat burning going on.

I would bump up the protein to 50-60 (don't know how tall (or not!) you are)

There must be some sweet spot of the right size meals to feed your machinery.

that is the unfair part of being a tiny woman. With a healthy and comfortable deficit of 25%, you lose 1/2 pound a week. Forget that "1-2" pounds a week. They say that as the average for everyone, including 6-foot 20 year old athletes! sheesh. couldn't be more different. On the plus side, 1/2 pound a week looks just as good on the tiny person as 1 pound does on a bigger person. So there, I say.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 09:16
Memere to 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Hm. Feeling satisfied is good.

Back when you were having 1500-1700, maybe that was so close to maintenance that you couldn't see the change.

650 to 800 is probably a bit low to feed your metabolism.

I would bump up the protein to 50-60 (don't know how tall (or not!) you are)

There must be some sweet spot of the right size meals to feed your machinery.

that is the unfair part of being a tiny woman. With a healthy and comfortable deficit of 25%, you lose 1/2 pound a week. Forget that "1-2" pounds a week. They say that as the average for everyone, including 6-foot 20 year old athletes! sheesh. couldn't be more different. On the plus side, 1/2 pound a week looks just as good on the tiny person as 1 pound does on a bigger person. So there, I say.

I would be very happy with a 1/2 pound a week. And I am on the "not" side of tall 5' 3"

Bumping up my protein sounds good. I cut it back because was told too much protein wasn't good.

I spent a good portion of last evening reading from Diet Doctors site. I find the site a bit too all over the place but I am trying I'm having trouble finding all the parts I want to read up on so am just reading as much as I can.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 10:03

BF:

Yah I might have been one of those who said too much protein was not good. It wasn't for me, but then I am talking over 80-90g of protein. I can eat a lot. it's all so relative!