Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-17, 03:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Sugar is poison. My heart attack has finally opened my eyes to the truth

Opinion piece in The Guardian by Giles Fraser.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...truth?CMP=fb_gu

Sugar is poison. My heart attack has finally opened my eyes to the truth

Thursday 13 July 2017

I am now a member of the zipper club. I know, I thought it sounded rude too. But apparently it’s the club name for those of us who have a scar right down the middle of our chest. I have one down my leg too, from groin to ankle. And as I spend time recovering from a heart bypass operation – mostly doing very little, watching the cricket, reading the paper – I have started to reflect on my condition. How did it come to this? How did the arteries of my heart become so clogged with gunk that I may have been just weeks from meeting my maker?

“Diabetic,” they said. “Pah,” I thought. I don’t feel any different. I just get up to pee a bit more at night. Some biochemical medical problem just seemed a bit too elusive, abstract, distant. I mean, when Diane Abbott blamed a bad interview on diabetes, who really took that seriously? Earlier this year, I was sent on a diabetes awareness day and spent the time looking out of the window, bored. They tried to explain it to me but I wasn’t concentrating. Continues
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-17, 06:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

It continues to amaze me how many people still have their heads in the sand. I'm glad my wake up call came before I ever had a heart attack.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-17, 09:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sobering, sad story. Sad that this guy, like so many others, had no real appreciation of why he was developing these conditions. Unfortunately, when people are told to eat a healthy diet by medical practitioners, there is no follow on guide for what exactly constitutes a "healthy diet." Even more, there are too many schools of thought as to what is actually the root cause for CHD, CVD and the general symptoms that represent Metabolic Syndrome including Insulin Resistance. Not trying to be dramatic, but today's general health is every bit as serious as any of the health plagues throughout history. Yet, we have food manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies who focus on their profits rather than what really constitutes a healthy lifestyle. Yes, very sobering.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-17, 09:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I was pleasantly surprised when I was on a forum that had nothing to do with health or nutrition, and someone mentioned that a few months previously they had been told by their doctor that they had diabetes. (Why they didn't get a pre-diabetes diagnosis was not explored...)

But they went out, went keto, and feel great; and there were several others with "Yes! That's the way to do it."