Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-14, 16:47

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 192/187/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default New Diagnosis, Metformin 1 week = 3lbs loss

Hello All,

I am new to this forum so I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm 38 y/o. I was recently (a week ago) diagnosed with PCOS after countless doctors visits over the last 3 years trying to determine why I could not lose weight. I started CrossFit a year ago today, but before that I was a runner. I stuck to healthy diet and worked out 5-6 days a week, but never had any progress. In fact, I had slow weight gain!

After 2 years of TTC with my husband, a testicular cancer survivor, there were some extra tests done on me by my Reproductive Endocrinologist and after ordering all the RIGHT tests and asking all the RIGHT questions, she determined I had PCOS and put me immediately on 1,500mg of Metformin.

I've been on it a week today, and I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 3 pounds from my last weigh in at the doctor's office. I still continue to CrossFit and sticking to a low carb/high protein/high fat diet.

DH and I have decided to hold off a few months on TTC so that I can drop some weight.

I'm excited to see what the meds along with my diet and exercise regimen will do in the next months!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-14, 19:10

Plan: Atkins-ish :)
Stats: 365/243/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Welcome! Unfortunately, this section of the forum doesn't see a whole lot of action
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 08:48

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisnerica
Hello All,

I am new to this forum so I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm 38 y/o. I was recently (a week ago) diagnosed with PCOS after countless doctors visits over the last 3 years trying to determine why I could not lose weight. I started CrossFit a year ago today, but before that I was a runner. I stuck to healthy diet and worked out 5-6 days a week, but never had any progress. In fact, I had slow weight gain!

After 2 years of TTC with my husband, a testicular cancer survivor, there were some extra tests done on me by my Reproductive Endocrinologist and after ordering all the RIGHT tests and asking all the RIGHT questions, she determined I had PCOS and put me immediately on 1,500mg of Metformin.

I've been on it a week today, and I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 3 pounds from my last weigh in at the doctor's office. I still continue to CrossFit and sticking to a low carb/high protein/high fat diet.

DH and I have decided to hold off a few months on TTC so that I can drop some weight.

I'm excited to see what the meds along with my diet and exercise regimen will do in the next months!

Hi, I have PCOS and take 1000 mg of Metformin currently. I was taking 2000 mg till I went low carb, after which my doctor was able to drop my dose to an amount that was comfortable for me. In the last 7 months I've lost nearly 40 pounds. Some may say this is slow loss but I'm very happy. I'm not planning to TTC until I finish my PhD in two years but apparently this will keep my body in good shape for that in the future.

I think you're on the right track. I would, if I may, suggest low carb/moderate protein/high fat so you can avoid kidney stones. Best of luck on the diet and whenever you decide to TTC again.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 08:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I know Crossfit people can get VERY into exercising, so you might want to ask your doctor about that. Let them know how much you're exercising. I do know if you go too crazy with it you can wreck your fertility.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 11:47

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I know Crossfit people can get VERY into exercising, so you might want to ask your doctor about that. Let them know how much you're exercising. I do know if you go too crazy with it you can wreck your fertility.

I think you're making an interesting larger point. But unless she exercises to a point when she becomes a female athlete with a BMI of under 20 and 10% body fat, I don't think this will be a problem. In fact, weighing more has a higher risk than weighing less.

http://journals.lww.com/epidem/Abst...ulatory.13.aspx