Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 18:24

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 330/270/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Vitamin Recommendations?

This is a post from my journal that I wanted to share here...

Been reading a lot online about vitamins that may help with symptoms of PCOS.

DIM supplements, 100-200 mg/day: balance levels of estrogens and progesterone. found in kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli. prevents endometriosis and formation of ovarian cysts.

Inositol(vitamin b8): helps contribute to normal levels of hormones, est, prog, test. good combined with folic acid

Maca: helps endocrine system, helps balalnce production of prog and est.

Chromium: helps bodys response to insulin....not sure if i would still need this with LC?

Cod Liver Oil: 3000-5000 iu of vitamin d in it. high in omega 3's, d and a

Calcium + vitamin D

Vitex: stimulates production of progesterone....never heard of Vitex.

Flax seeds: help cholesterol, reduces testosterone, reduce high levels of androgens, helps hormone balance

My daily vitamin intake looks like this right now:
1 prenatal (Vol-Plus)
1 B-Complex 100
1 vitamin D3 (4000iu)
Niacin (flush free, 500-1000mg daily)...to help with my cholesterol
1 vitamin C (500mg)

I want to add calcium and flax seeds/oil and DIM..? Going to talk to the pharmacist at work and see what they know of it.

Either while in Turkey or when we come back in a few months...want to go to an endocrinologist and get my hormone levels checked as well as thyroid.

Maybe the changes i've made this far are enough to help with conceiving? I won't know for a few months. Just wanting to do everything I possibly can to increase the chances of getting pregnant. *sigh*

I'm going to be 32 in October and i feel like the window of opportunity is flying by....especially since we want more than 1!

I have since bought organic cold-milled flax seeds and have been trying to incorporate them into my diet.

As far as periods go...mine has been regular for about 10-11 months. DH and I were trying to conceive from Nov 2012 to May 2013 with no luck yet. Heartbreak every month. Been LC since June 3rd and hoping this WOE will help with conceiving as well.

Any advice is much appreciated Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 08:19

Plan: not specific
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well I can tell you what works for me .I have done a lot of research on natural meds for pcos and candida as well .1st off I would say increase your vitamin c .There's no such thing as to much when it comes to this vitamin so I take 4000 MG a day .This will help with energy and immunity. Also b-12 is essential especially if taking metformin since that drug will absorb your b-12 .This is another one you can't get enough of so I take 1500mcg a day .Again even more is ok but any less is useless.

Any amino acids are great as they normalize metabolism. I do L glutamate and lecithin .The glutamate is great for cravings .than 250 mcg chelated molybdenum will help with binding enzymes and detox sugar withdrawal. Milk thistle 240 MG this is for supporting the liver as it transitions over to a new healthy eating plan toxins are released into body .Milk thistle will combat the toxins .probiotics are extremely important as well .Live cultures like renew life are great .They must be refrigerated and you can take as many as you want but 3 should be good a day as these can get pricey .good luck !