Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 09:23
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Though oat fiber is virtually a carb wash, as it's around 94% undigestible fiber, I still consider it to fall into the grains rung of the OWL ladder, strictly speaking. But I found it had absolutely no impact on my weight loss and did not start up carb cravings. You should try using it a couple times and see how it effects you. If no gain or carb cravings, it's probably fair to assume you can introduce it earlier in OWL (with caution).

Frankly, it is used in such tiny amounts in my recipes, since it is just a texture enhancer after all, I don't think it would bother anyone but the extremely carb sensitive.

Oat fiber is a baking "enhancer" and therefore is not really a "flour sub", so I would not sub in anything for it in my recipes. Just omit it totally. But be aware that doing so will slightly diminish the final texture of your baked goods IMO. Omitting shouldn't impact how it cooks, nor will it impact taste really. I often add it for the advantage of those fiber grams I can deduct from the carb count when I'm baking something that is higher in carbs than I like.

Last edited by Buttoni : Fri, Mar-23-12 at 07:18.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 14:33

Plan: Atkins DANDR- Induction
Stats: 155/158.0/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: -9%

hmm. okay good explanation. I think I'm going to climb a few more rungs before I decide to add it. My weight loss journey has been less than perfect, to put it mildly. Thanks for responding
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 07:17
Patience Personified

I waited until I had tested all the rungs ahead of GRAINS before I tested the oat fiber waters.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 07:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Peggy, you are certainly a GIFTED CHEF!!! I just visited your website and couldn't believe all of the wonderful recipes that you have developed! You should publish a cook book!!!! I'll be trying a lot of them and THANK YOU for posting them!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 11:44
Patience Personified

Why thank you, Pollyana! I'm glad you like what you see up on the site. Hope you'll try some of them.

People tell me I ought to do a cookbook, but I chat with Jennifer Eloff regularly who has 5-6 published now and she tells me it's a LOT of work. I have a couple of my recipes appearing in he latest cookbook LOW CARBING AMONG FRIENDS, but frankly that's as close to publishing as I want to get. LOL I'm ENJOYING retirement too much. Cooking and experimenting is fun, as is sharing the results that come out good. Publishing them would take the fun out of it for me. My recipes are FREE for the taking.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Hi Peggy-

Just made this recipe for lunch and it was really yummy and easy too. Got the outside extra crunchy and used american cheese, but next time think I'll try a sharp cheddar, because I want a little more kick to the cheese. Might even add some caraway or sesame seeds to the bread for flavor and crunch. Thanks so much!

Kim
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 11:12
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Just marking my spot so I don't miss any tips and suggestions for this one!