Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-16, 13:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Interesting new post by Dr. Davis on how Wheat Belly differs from Atkins.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/...-atkins-better/

This question comes up with some regularity: Is the Wheat Belly lifestyle like the Atkins’ diet? Is Wheat Belly just another name for a low-carb diet?

There are indeed some important areas of overlap. The Wheat Belly lifestyle, for instance, adheres to the concept that carbohydrates, not fats, are responsible for destructive health effects and weight gain. We also need to give Dr. Robert Atkins and his low-carb predecessors great credit for voicing their opinions during an age when low-carb was an heretical, against-the-mainstream concept, given the antics of Dr. Ancel Keys, Dr. Henry Blackburn, the US Department of Health and Human Services and others. Atkins, low-carb, and Wheat Belly all concur: carbs raise blood sugar, generate resistance to insulin, add to metabolic syndrome/type 2 diabetes, and add substantially to risk for heart disease, cancer, and dementia. Cutting dietary fat is unfounded, destructive, and wrong. No differences here.

But we have the advantage of several decades of new information since Dr. Atkins’s book was first published in 1972, including exposure of the workings of agribusiness and geneticists and the evolving science behind issues such as bowel flora and endocrine disruption, none of which was known or fully appreciated until recently.

So Wheat Belly takes the basic Atkins/low-carb arguments several steps further. These are not small steps, but crucial steps that can make the difference between having an autoimmune disease or not having an autoimmune disease, having fibromyalgia or not having fibromyalgia, being infertile or suffering multiple miscarriages or not being infertile and not having multiple miscarriages—big differences.

Among the concepts that are unique to Wheat Belly but never articulated by Dr. Atkins or the low-carb world are:

Wheat and grains are absolutely banned on the Wheat Belly lifestyle–The Atkins diet and low-carb diets all add back “healthy whole grains” in their latter phases, as they were viewed as healthy and necessary. But those of you familiar with the Wheat Belly concepts recognize that wheat and grains are the worst foods to add back, as they reintroduce gliadin-derived appetite stimulation, gliadin-provoked autoimmune diseases, high blood sugars from amylopectin A, nutrient deficiencies from phytates, allergic reactions to multiple proteins and other issues. Re-exposure also makes you ill and is not a nice thing to endure. Adding back grains also explains why many Atkins/low-carbers regain their weight after an initial success.

Wheat Belly highlights the addictive, appetite-stimulating effects of the gliadin protein of wheat and related proteins of other grains–Without understanding this issue, people add back grains or have small indulgences, even through medications or nutritional supplements, and then fail to understand why they lose control over appetite and impulse, what I call the “I ate one cookie and gained 30 pounds” effect.

Wheat Belly addresses the historical and anthropological bases for the destructive health effects of the seeds of grasses–Not only does Wheat Belly reject the notion of “healthy whole grains,” but discusses why this dietary mistake was made and why it is a huge error to view grains as human food.

Wheat Belly addresses bowel flora disrupted by grains (and other factors)–Cultivating healthy bowel flora improves bowel health and regularity, improves metabolic factors such as blood sugar and blood pressure, improves mood, and reduces risk for colon cancer. Cultivating healthy bowel flora avoids the health deterioration suffered by long-term low-carbers who, over time, develop a rise in blood sugar, a drop in HDL cholesterol, a rise in triglycerides, constipation, depression, and other effects due to uncorrected dysbiosis and lack of prebiotic fibers to nourish bowel flora.

Wheat Belly addresses other issues crucial for health–Thyroid health and iodine are prominent features on the Wheat Belly discussion. If you have undiagnosed or uncorrected hypothyroidism, for instance, no diet will cause weight loss and you will be exposed to dramatically increased risk for cardiovascular disease and death. Vitamin D needs to be addressed, as do magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids. Not addressing these issues compromises health substantially, while adhering to all Wheat Belly concepts allows a powerful synergistic effect to emerge, what I call the “2 + 2 =11” Wheat Belly effect.

Wheat Belly shows how to recreate familiar grain-based, high-carb, high-sugar foods–When I first introduced Wheat Belly concepts to patients in my heart disease practice, I was a purist and asked people to eat only real, whole foods and not try to recreate familiar grain-based or sugary foods. But I quickly learned that holidays, kids and grandkids, and entertaining botched things up and people would go off program, then suffer recurrences of numerous health conditions and regain oodles of weight. So I learned how to recreate foods like cookies, muffins, pies, and cheesecake using benign ingredients like almond and coconut flour, stevia and monkfruit. When I shared this with my patients, I witnessed them successfully navigate all these occasions with none of the problems. This is because Wheat Belly alternatives do not provoke high blood sugars, trigger addictive eating behavior/appetite, or create nutrient deficiencies. You can indulge without paying a health price.

Wheat Belly is, first and foremost, a program to restore health by rejecting many pieces of conventional “wisdom,” a dietary program and lifestyle that reverses many of the modern diseases that plague us. Atkins and low-carb simply provide one piece of that solution, but far from the complete picture. Follow the Wheat Belly lifestyle and you obtain the same initial health benefits as the Atkins/low-carb approach, but you will take health and weight loss farther and have more enduring results.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-16, 18:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

After starting a weight loss plan that restricted grains, I came across Dr Davis. I followed his eating plan for nearly a year, but weight loss came to a halt at about 165 lbs: I needed fewer carbs and more fat.

I am so grateful for his well articulated statement of the need to avoid grains, though, and even though my eating is closer to Atkins induction than it is to Wheatbelly, I have all the admiration in the world for him. Especially as he came to his present system of eating not by himself, alone, but by observing the good results with heart health for his patients who ate LCHF.

How many cardiologists are there who are willing to learn from their patients?
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-16, 04:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I love Dr. Davis! His ability to see what is happening in front of him is so ridiculously rare in the medical world.

I actually gave up grains due to his Cardiac Scan blog; Wheat Belly wasn't a thing for a few years yet.

And he was so right.
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-16, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

WereBear, I used to read his blog at least a couple times a week. And one thing I really admired was his willingness when asked a question to say "I don't know" or "I'm sorry, that's really not something I'm familiar with."

I worked in L and D for years, and when I developed pulmonary emboli after the birth of my 3rd baby, of course I went to the hospital where I worked.

My primary was my OB/Gyn, and his partner was on call. After telling me he'd meet me in the ER, and seeing my severely distressed state, he said, "This is out of my area. I'm going to call in an internist."

I was so grateful to him for that. Having worked with the OBs since I was in nursing school, I knew a few who would have tried to handle it themselves. So whenever I see a doctor admit that s/he doesn't know something, I KNOW that that is response from their character, not, necessarily, their training.
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 13:04

From Dr. William Davis: I created this little book as a tool to help you navigate the Wheat Belly grain-free lifestyle Wheat Belly Slim Guide: The Fast and Easy Reference for Living and Succeeding on the Wheat Belly Lifestyle.

As the subtitle suggests, the Wheat Belly Slim Guide is designed to be a portable reference to help navigate grocery stores, restaurants, health food stores, and your day-to-day life to help answer all those little questions that crop up. Currently #1 new release in Gluten-free diet category.

Wheat Belly Slim Guide can come to your rescue whenever you need it. Included in the Slim Guide you will discover:
• A summary of the Wheat Belly approach to cultivating bowel flora, including a list of prebiotic fiber sources
• Wheat Belly safe sweeteners
• Safe flours and meals for baking and breading
• Safe thickeners
• Wheat Belly Basic Recipes–All-Purpose Baking Mix, Focaccia Bread, ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressings
• The Top 10 Wheat Belly recipes of all time
• A 7-day Menu Plan
• Shopping lists
• Wheat Belly Happy Hour: Safe alcoholic beverages
• Avoiding common mistakes Safe packaged foods
• 10 Rules for Eating Safely Outside the Home

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1623368545/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Fits in your pocket or purse, It’s 160 pages, $7.55-$8.98 on Amazon.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 06:22

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Janet, thanks for this post. I have copied it and put it on my desktop where i can read it every day.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 07:39

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I went to amazon and ordered the Slim Guide. A friend of ours lost a ton of weight on Wheat Belly. He loaned the book to my husband, who decided it was too extreme so I never really looked into it. My understanding is that, unlike Atkins, Dr. Davis recommends no wheat ever again. In the time since my husband pronounced Dr. Davis too extreme, I've accepted that I'm a wheat addict and so I'm starting to think maybe Wheat Belly is the path I need to follow. I'm very curious about the recommendations for restoring gut flora.

Thanks Janet!
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 10:26

Hi Tess, you can also find answers to just about any question you have on his terrific blog. See post 106 above.
Here is one on prebiotics, there are more if you Search for that topic: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...ed-bowel-flora/
One comment already says they wish had just bought this little guide rather than the two books, has the important info you need.
His Quick and Dirty Diet plan is still on the Home page: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...-quick-dirty-2/
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 05:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
WereBear,

I was so grateful to him for that. Having worked with the OBs since I was in nursing school, I knew a few who would have tried to handle it themselves. So whenever I see a doctor admit that s/he doesn't know something, I KNOW that that is response from their character, not, necessarily, their training.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and wish more would do the same.
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 06:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I agree with you wholeheartedly and wish more would do the same.

I adore my GP: during my diagnosis ordeal, he was the only one who listened to me and did his best to help.

When a boatload of tests came back "normal," he told me that it was stress. We didn't know what was causing the stress, but I should do stress-reduction strategies so at least I would be addressing some of the terrible effects on my body.

He was right.
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 08:41

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

So, WereBear, what did you do to reduce the stress? I don't feel that I have a lot of stress in my life, but for some reason I have dreams where I'm very upset and angry. I think that's anger that I hold in in real life and it comes out in my dreams.
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 13:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
So, WereBear, what did you do to reduce the stress? I don't feel that I have a lot of stress in my life, but for some reason I have dreams where I'm very upset and angry. I think that's anger that I hold in in real life and it comes out in my dreams.

Here's the basics: I did enough to write a book and I probably will
  • sleep hygiene - with Dr. Kruse's sleep strategies I went from 2-4 hours to 8-10 hours
  • further improved my nutrition: seafood, fermented foods like yogurt and sauerkraut with additional probiotics; made my own salad dressing with hemp oil and get paleo mayo with avocado oil
  • supplements for stress: ashwaganda and arctic root; high doses of niacin with B complex; pregnenolone and progesterone
  • thought handling: yes, I meditated, but I also did things like stop procrastinating, invested in good reminder and calendar apps instead of trying to make my brain do it all; and I "did inventory" before winding down for bed, deciding when to let things go and what to pursue and what I wasn't going to put up with any more
  • along with occasional walks, I did Egoscue exercise, which is a wonderful way of engaging all the muscles of the body and releasing their tension

Hope that helps!
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 08:23

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Thanks Werebear!
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 15:17

BF:

Has anybody tried the Wheat Belly Slow cooker? Looks interesting. Just ordered the Slim Guide.
  #120   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 03:42

Who is J S West? Her bio sounds fake. I wouldn't order any Cookbook that does not involve Dr Davis, and it appears many of those one star negative comments agree.

So many slow cooker recipes are WB compliant to start..I still use "Fix It and Forget It" recipes. Both his own cookbooks are worth buying, though now if you know what you are looking for (borrow from library) many recipes are found on-line.

Here's a recipe from the first WB Cookbook my DH really likes...the first time I used coconut flour as a thickener and it works well..
Coq au Vin. http://drpatelsdiet.com/recipes/slow-cooker-coq-au-vin/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-28-17 at 03:57.