Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-18, 09:13

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%
Default Medical benefits of Atkins Fat Fast???

Just wondering if anyone has seen any studies showing that the Atkins fat fast has the same kind of benefits as other types of fasting, in terms of resetting the immune system, autophagy/increasing apoptosis of defective cells,, getting the migrating motor cortex to work properly, etc etc etc.

I've been looking at water fasting, that fasting-mimicking-diet that longo talks about, etc, but for me, the atkins fat fast seems the most 'doable'.

i didn't find anything about documented benefits of fat fasting when i googled or did a forum search. other than breaking stalls, losing weight faster, etc...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 03:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No medical studies that I know of, and at 1,000 calories a day, I doubt the Atkins Fat Fast would have any of those benefits. If a water fast is too daunting, check the Time Restricted feeding studies, two good interviews (first one was in 2016) with Satchin Panda on Rhonda Patrick's website. (Spoiler, even black coffee breaks a fast)
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/satchin-round-2

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-03-18 at 03:21.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 04:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'd really like to see the study done. I lean towards the guess that it would be similar, since it's about as close to the fasted metabolism as you can get while still eating food. There may be more calories than in Longo's protocol, but there's way less carbs and maybe even bit less protein. If you just added fat, it should reduce the effect, but dropping the carbs and protein should go a long way to make up for that.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 13:13

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Atkins' Fat Fast is similar to some of the diets for epilepsy.

Here is a link to The Charlie Foundation, which has information on variations of the ketogenic diet for epilepsy. Perhaps something there will answer part of your questions.

https://charliefoundation.org/diet-plans/

I have had long periods of time, months at a stretch, of being on very low carb, very high fat, adequate protein, and was able to greatly reduce migraines with that regime. Sometimes with greater amounts of food overall, sometimes with not so much. Getting the ratios of PFC seems vital for keeping the migraines away, for me.

Last edited by SilverEm : Sat, Apr-14-18 at 13:22. Reason: added information