Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 09:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Happy Cdn Turkey day!!

(To me this post falls into support for low carb life, but if moderators have a better idea where it fits, please move it. )

I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday (Saturday) of quite a mixed dietary group, including kids with allergies, vegans, vegetarians and low carb eaters. What a feast! And something that is amazing about that kind of group is the total acceptance of everyone eating what they need to and what works for them. Sometimes I see people here report on comments friends and family make about their eating and it’s so sad. I understand why that happens but last night was such an example of how it could be. No one pushed potatoes on the kid (my dd) who’s allergic to potatios...and not on anyone. No one suggested the low carber (me) eat pumpkin pie. No one suggested the kid allergic to soy should have some of the tofu her vegan sister was eating. No one suggested the person who was driving that night should have a second glass of wine.

Frankly, no one commented on any of the individual and wide ranging dishes that anyone chose to put on their plate. Only to thank whoever had cooked a particular dish they were enjoying and to compliment it. We all ate what worked for us, we all contributed parts that worked for some part of the group, adapting recipes to accommodate...it was great.

I supplied mashed cauliflower with vegan margarine (so my dairy allergic and vegan friends could share my DELICIOUS vehicle for gravy if they wanted.) I made almond flour/cocoa squares — convienently also gluten free for those who need or want it. A vegan Cesar salad dressing (I’m super proud of my recipe). People brought things like cider (no gluten), Gluten free stuffing, coconut ice cream, roasted veg salad, creamy vegan dressings, huge brined turkey, ... traditional dishes adapted and totally new ones embraced. I could go on. My point is, that there was plenty for everyone no matter what their dietary needs and no comments about anyone’s choices or needs ... just plates piled high with whatever was good. And it was all good.

The kids with allergies didn’t look at the other foods and say “why can’t I have some, I just want one bite”
The 16 year old vegan didn’t moan over the lack of gravy on her plate.
The low carber didn’t pout over the mashed potatoes (ok I did make sure they stayed at the far and of the table from me.) The point is, alternatives were lovingly thought out and prepared for, and individuals were at ease with themselves and their needs.

This openess and acceptance is something to be grateful for. It is a small example of how we could be in the larger world ... “alternatives lovingly thought out and prepared for, and individuals at ease with themselves and their needs.”

There is much more to say about the history of this complicated and uncomfortable holiday, but since this is a non-political forum, that’s as far as i’ll go. To be grateful for the diversity of the food and the people in this one way.

I hope everyone here who does celebrate thanksgiving (this weekend or next month) has a delicious and on plan yummy indulgent meal.

Last edited by Blue Ruby : Sun, Oct-07-18 at 09:46. Reason: Typos
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 19:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like you've got some great friends!

I was at a church pot luck this afternoon & the only thing I could eat was the chicken. So I had that. Until I read your post I hadn't noticed that no one commented on the fact that I didn't have any potatoes, jello, cake, or donuts.

I think some parts of the world are getting nicer.

PS - Could you share your vegan Caesar salad dressing? That would be great when my vegan dd visits.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 20:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sounds like a perfect celebration of life. It's becoming a good time to forget the polarization that predominates in today's world. We have far more in common than the politicians would like us to believe.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 20:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
PS - Could you share your vegan Caesar salad dressing? That would be great when my vegan dd visits.

I’ll put it in recipes tonight.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 04:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

That's awesome, and that's how the dynamic should be at family gatherings. It's been that way in our family for years now and I sure am grateful for that. We'll be spending Thanksgiving with my dad, his ladyfriend and her family. The family owns and operates a bowling alley and they run a kitchen, so they "get" the allergy/intolerance/food preference thing.

I think people are getting the message that it's not rude to decline to put something into your body that might make you physically ill. It's more rude (IMO) to be a nosy plate-watcher. Just mind your own plate.

Food can still make part of the conversation without someone expecting someone to try what they made. I like to offer up complements even if I won't eat it. "Wow, that cake is beautiful! You must have spent a lot of time on the (insert detail here!)" Comments like that.
Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian friends.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 09:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Happy thanksgiving - this was such a sweet post.