Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 08:58

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default low-carb books

What low-carb books are you reading? What have you read and can recommend?

I'm currently almost done with Dr. David Perlmutter's Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life (2015).

I'm always on the look out for a good book to read. Since I don't watch t.v. programing, I have lots of time - lol.

I just ordered Dr. Michael Ruscio's Healthy Gut, Healthy You: The Personalized Plan to Transform Your Health from the Inside Out (2018).

Next up I have:

Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet, Jimmy Moore, Eric C. Westman (2014)
The Longevity Diet, Valter Longo (2016)
Diabetes Epidemic & You, Joseph R. Kraft (2008)

Keto Clarity will be the first Ketogenic diet book I've read. All I know is once a while back I looked up Ketogenic diet and it said it was the same as Atkins Induction.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 09:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I know you don't need this advice, but for anybody who hasn't read it my first suggestion is still Atkins. He was talking about benign dietary ketosis before the term nutritional ketosis was coined by Phinney and Volek. The whole program was intended to be ketogenic at least through weight loss. I didn't find I could climb the carb ladder at all. People might not like the urine strips, but for people with blood ketone monitors who want a certain level of ketosis, I think it makes a lot of sense to start with induction, or if you like even a more ketogenic diet like the 4:1, and then intentionally creep up and see what it takes to stay around where you want to be.

Also Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He doesn't intend it to be ketogenic, but for non-diabetics who don't inject insulin, it's liable to be. I think the fairly strict structure of his program is a good starting point for people who need really consistent ketosis for one reason or another. Also his 7 grams of protein per ounce of meat rule, combined with knowing some very low carb vegetable sources with a gram per ounce or two grams per ounce, and then how many ounces (or fractions of ounces) of fat need to be added to round out a meal makes things easier for stricter keto diets without having to resort to fitday before adding each ingredient.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 12:46

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, s93. I'll second Teaser's recommendations. Dr. Atkins' books are easy to read, and think through, and very encouraging.

Dr. Bernstein's book explains a lot. His book was what gave me the courage to stay around 30 grams of carbs, for life.

I also like Life Without Bread, by Wolfgang Lutz. It addresses what metabolism is, how different kinds of diets change the way organs work. It's a fascinating book.

----
I have other favorites, but those three are ones I would give as presents, if someone were really interested in the how and why of the necessity of low carb living.

---

I like the books of the early low-carb pioneers, too.

Dr. Blake Donaldson's, Strong Medicine, is really good food for thought. It can be read, without charge, at HathiTrust.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 12:52

BF:

Atkins' DANDR 2002 was the second book I read; the first being Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About it. Fantastic reading! I still keep my DANDR handy and refer back to the induction chapter frequently. It's uncanny how he anticipates your question and answers it. Other books you'd be looking ahead when a question pops up.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 14:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This will be way more than you asked for, but this is a Resource List kept at Dr. Westman's support group page. The order is meaningless, His books first then how the list developed as members added to it.

I would certainly put Nina Teicholz "The Big Fat Surprise" higher if this were ordered by my favorites. And all three of Gary Taubes books too. I switched from mostly vegetarian to low carb right after I read the Cancer chapter in Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories. I have read all of the books on this list except Hacking the American mind, and like these four best for their "readability".

Quote:
Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet - Dr. Eric C. Westman M.D. The paperback booklet with purple cover is Out of Print. Only available as Amazon Kindle, $5. This is the most complete and accurate version of the clinic diet.

The Adapt Program: How To Adapt into a Fat Burning Machine - Dr Eric Westman. The Adapt Program paperback booklet with red cover is Out of Print. Update: A new book with a different title will be published, no estimated publication date.

New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great - Dr Eric Westman, Dr. Steve Phinney & Dr. Jeff Volek

The Low-Carb Diabetes Solution Cookbook: Prevent and Heal Type 2 Diabetes with 200 Ultra Low-Carb Recipes - Dana Carpenter and Dr. Eric Westman. HealClinic diet guidelines included in this book, similar to the Lifestyle Clinic's No Sugar, No Starch Diet.

Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet - Jimmy Moore , Eric Westman MD

Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers? - Jimmy Moore, Eric C. Westman

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes. The Duke Lifestyle Clinic Diet by Dr. Eric Westman is in the appendix*.

Taubes' original longer book is Good Calories, Bad Calories and his latest book is The Case Against Sugar.

The Obesity Code and The Diabetes Code - Dr. Jason Fung

Wheat Belly, Wheat Belly Total Health and Undoctored- Dr. William Davis

Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living - Drs. Phinney & Volek

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance - Drs. Phinney & Volek

Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health--in Just Weeks! - Drs. Eades & Eades

Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers - David Perlmutter, MD

The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles - Terry Wahls M.D.

Life Without Bread - Christian B. Allan & Dr. Wolfgang Lutz

The Big Fat Surprise - Nina Teicholz

Fat Chance and Hacking of American Mind- Robert Lustig

Keto for Cancer - Miriam Kalamian. Excellent book for using a ketogenic diet with standard of care treatments. Her website and basic food list: https://www.dietarytherapies.com/foods/

Journey to Health: A Journey Worth Taking: Cooking Keto with Kristie - Kristie Sullivan Cookbook by member of local support group. Kindle version has links to her video recipe channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF...vsU8leOQ/videos.

Newest cookbook, Keto Living Day by Day, 130 Deceptively Simple Recipes, Great for Beginners, published today.

DietDoctor website for everything Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and Ketogenic. http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Many interviews, presentations, videos and low carb/keto guides featuring Dr. Eric Westman and other renown low carb doctors. Excellent keto recipes, may search recipes for strictness of carb level, change serving sizes, metric/US, by meal or ingredients. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-05-18 at 15:47.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

I've read Atkins' book but at the moment I can't remember what version it was. Probably the 2nd or 3rd edition.

My favourite book of all time is Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

My next book will probably be The Obesity Code by Jason Fung.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 14:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Richard Johnson's The Sugar Fix.

Anybody read The Ketogenic Bible? I haven't yet so can't recommend it, but it sounds like it should be good, and I've enjoyed some of Jacob Wilson's videos.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 15:01

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I was reading, "Ready or Not!" By Michelle Tam & Henry Fong (of Nom Nom Paleo fame) but I got bored with it and decided I had enough cookbooks already.

I'm reading and loving, "The Food Lab" by J. Kenji López-Alt. This is not a diet book but a cookbook that will teach you how to perfectly cook all manner of meat and veggies, and gives you a wealth of information about why recipes work or why they don't. There's a lot of science in this book, but it's easy to read.

He gets a little overly complex in some of his recipes (something like 30 ingredients for a Bolognese sauce - seriously?) but I love it all the same. This cookbook won a James Beard award.

Check it out Here.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 15:54

BF:

Here's what I've read so far:

Why We Get Fat (2010), Gary Taubes
Good Calories, Bad Calories (2004), Gary Taubes
The Case Against Sugar (2016), Gary Taubes
The Big Fat Surprise (2014), Nina Teicholz
DANDR (2002), Dr. Atkins
The New Atkins for a New You (2010), , Eric C. Westman, Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek
The Complete Guide to Fasting (2016), Dr. Jason Fung
The Salt Fix (2017), James Dinicolantonio
The Alzheimer's Antidote (2017), Amy Berger
The Obesity Code (2015), Dr. Jason Fung
The Diabetes Code (2018), Dr. Jason Fung
The End of Alzheimer's (2017), Dr. Dale Bredesen
Grain Brain (2013), Dr. David Perlmutter

reading Brain Maker (2015), Dr. David Perlmutter
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Richard Johnson's The Sugar Fix.

Anybody read The Ketogenic Bible? I haven't yet so can't recommend it, but it sounds like it should be good, and I've enjoyed some of Jacob Wilson's videos.

I have read Ketogenic Bible, only because our library had ordered it. Heavy going with some of the science (you'll like it, teaser) but also he doesn’t have the journalist flair for writing. Then he goes into depth on bodybuilding and exogenous ketones, two topics with zero interest for me. maybe someday ketones will help with neurological disease, but in the meantime I skipped those chapters...and a few others.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 16:07

BF:

Have a few waiting to be read.

Books:

Healthy Gut, Healthy You: The Personalized Plan to Transform Your Health from the Inside Out, Dr. Michael Ruscio 2018
The Longevity Diet, Valter Longo 2016
Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?, Jimmy Moore, Eric C. Westman 2013

Kindle:

The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution, Richard K. Bernstein 2005
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health, William Davis 2011
Pure, White and Deadly: The new facts about the sugar you eat as a cause of heart disease, diabetes and other killers, John Yudkin 1972

Last edited by s93uv3h : Tue, Jun-05-18 at 16:23.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 16:11

With that long list already read, add the Phinney & Volek Books next. They coined the term "nutritional ketosis".
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 16:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
With that long list already read, add the Phinney & Volek Books next. They coined the term "nutritional ketosis".
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living looks like my next purchase (none of the libraries have it). Thank you.

#14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 16:26

BF:

Quote:
Also Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He doesn't intend it to be ketogenic, but for non-diabetics who don't inject insulin, it's liable to be. I think the fairly strict structure of his program is a good starting point for people who need really consistent ketosis for one reason or another. Also his 7 grams of protein per ounce of meat rule, combined with knowing some very low carb vegetable sources with a gram per ounce or two grams per ounce, and then how many ounces (or fractions of ounces) of fat need to be added to round out a meal makes things easier for stricter keto diets without having to resort to fitday before adding each ingredient.
Just borrowed this. Thanks.

#15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 16:28

BF:

Quote:
My library replied that they will attempt an interlibrary loan. Crossing my fingers.

Last edited by s93uv3h : Tue, Jun-05-18 at 16:34.