Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 08:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/130 Male 190  cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Fat vs Protein dilemma

Hi,

At 165lb and 6'3 a lot of people would not describe me as fat, but skinny. A few people have been shocked that I want to lose weight. The problem is I have the skinny-fat problem, I am skinny, but I have about 20-25% body fat which means I have a bit of a belly and you cannot see any definition, tone or abs and my waist is 36". I have decided I want to bring down my body fat to just under 10%. When I reach that goal I want to start a clean bulking diet to add lean muscle mass. I am looking to achieve this in about a year. According to my calculations, I will need need to lose about 40lb of fat, and end up around 120-130lbs.

I have been on a lot fat diet low calorie diet, typical daily macro was: 1200 cals, approx 15g fat, approx 100g protein, 255g carbs. I have recently started the Atkins diet, my current macro is: 1,124 cals, 30.45g carbs, 123.6g protein, 39.45g fat. Most recently I brought my macro down to: 1,300 cals, 20g carbs, 123.6g protein, 40g fat.

Now my question is the protein and fat sufficient? Do I need to reduce protein and increase fat or can I maintain it like this?

Based on my newbie knowledge that I can put my body into ketosis at 20g carbs, but too much protein can kick it out of ketosis. I am not sure what too much protein is. Is 100-120g too much? Secondly, I have significantly increased my fat intake from approx 15g per day to 40g per day, but I feel reluctant to increase it further. Given that ketosis is to burn my body fat, by increasing fat won't the body just use the consumed fat for its energy rather than the body fat?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by skinnyfat : Sun, Jan-31-16 at 04:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 09:40

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

How are you measuring to get 25% body fat? A target of 120-130 on 6'3" frame is underweight by a lot, possible anorexia range (I had a daughter diagnosed that's how I know)

You can try a keto calculator. If you want 120 grams of protein which sounds ok to me, and you want 1300 calories which sounds too low just my opinion, you would want 70 grams of fat. Not 200 grams of protein.

Why are you reluctant to increase fat?

Sure, if there is enough extra fat, the body will burn diet fat before body fat. you are waaaaaay not there. But consider that diet fat is all kinds - omega 3, o6, all kinds of different sat fats - and body fat is mostly just one or two - white or brown fat. If you don't get a variety of fat from your diet, your metabi
olism has a harder time adapting to fat burning.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 10:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

At 36 inches, you have a waist to height ratio of 4.8. Cutting to 130 pounds won't give you abs, it will give you well-defined bones.

I have doubts about your body fat, most methods of measurement aren't all that accurate. But if they are accurate--that wouldn't mean for me that you have excess body fat to lose, so much as that you have a low reserve of lean mass.

I think you should go straight to the clean bulk, skip the weight loss entirely.

I'm 5 foot 7, not that big-boned, and the idea of going down to 130 would scare the crap out of me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 10:38

BF:
Progress:

Hi Seejay, thank you for your reply.

I do not really have any professional means to calculate my body fat, so I am just using basic visual guides and calculations on waistline to body weight ratio to calculate I must have about 20-25% fat. Considering I have a waistline of 36in and my stomach slightly hangs out and also jiggles when it moves, I think I can rule out 10-15%, leaving 20-25%.

I do share your concern that 120-130lb is very low on 6'3, but I don't think I have much choice. If it is true I have 20-25% body fat now, to start bulking up from here will just add even more body fat, and a lot of that is going to go on on the stomach. So I have decided to first lose the flab I have and then go on a bulking phase.

Regarding fat. I am mostly trying to eat only healthy fat saturated,monosaturated, polysaturated. I am getting most of my 40g of fat from nuts(peanut butter, almonds) cheese(feta, cheddar, mozzarella, cottage) and olive oil and olives.
I think my concern regarding fat is probably a universal newbie apprehension -- I don't want to add further to my body fat.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 10:43

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
At 36 inches, you have a waist to height ratio of 4.8. Cutting to 130 pounds won't give you abs, it will give you well-defined bones.

I have doubts about your body fat, most methods of measurement aren't all that accurate. But if they are accurate--that wouldn't mean for me that you have excess body fat to lose, so much as that you have a low reserve of lean mass.

I think you should go straight to the clean bulk, skip the weight loss entirely.

I'm 5 foot 7, not that big-boned, and the idea of going down to 130 would scare the crap out of me.

You might be right about the low muscle mass. I suffer from hypogonadism, which means I have low testosterone. This makes it very difficult for me to to put on muscle mass and easier to put on fat. I am also ectomorph to boot.

If I went on a clean bulking phase would the fat I have on my body convert to muscle?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 11:35

BF:

Are you on testosterone replacement therapy?

Is the low testosterone a long-standing issue for you? Had you done any considerable amount of dieting before diagnosis?

Low calories and low fat aren't really a good idea for somebody with low t.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/art...cle.aspx?id=222

Jeff Volek has an article here on testosterone levels.

Quote:
The dietary fat trigger
The primary nutrient shown to affect testosterone to the greatest extent is fat. In general, scientific studies indicate that a diet low in fat is associated with lower testosterone values compared to a diet higher in fat. Individuals consuming a diet containing ~20% fat compared to a diet containing ~40% fat have significantly lower concentrations of testosterone. Men consuming a vegetarian or meatless diet have lower circulating concentrations of testosterone compared to men consuming a mixed Western or a high meat diet. In another study, male endurance athletes who switched from a meat-rich diet to a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet had a significant decrease in resting testosterone concentrations and a lessening of the exercise-induced increase in testosterone. The diets in this study contained equal percentages of calories derived from protein, carbohydrate, and fat, however the source of protein in the vegetarian diet was derived mainly from vegetable sources (83%) whereas the mixed diet contained significantly less vegetable protein (35%). Thus, quality not just quantity of the diet appeared to influence testosterone in this study. A study in our laboratory showed that testosterone levels were higher in resistance-trained men who consumed higher amounts of fat, especially monounsaturated fat (rich in canola and olive oils).
In summary, cross-sectional and diet intervention studies indicate that low-fat diets (20-30% of calories) are associated with lower testosterone levels compared to diets higher in fat (about 40% of calories). The type of protein is also important. Reducing vegetable protein in favor of animal protein can increase the resting testosterone levels and complement, not blunt, the normal exercise-induced increase in testosterone.

Testosterone killer - calorie restriction
In addition to dietary fat, the total amount of calories can also have an important impact on testosterone as well. Several studies indicate that reducing calories can negatively affect testosterone levels. Kiddy et al examined the effect of a very-low-calorie diet (330 kcal/day) on testosterone levels in overweight women. After 2 weeks there was a -40% decrease in free testosterone levels. Strauss et al measured testosterone levels in wrestlers during the competitive season and two months after the season. Large reductions in body fat induced by caloric restriction and exercise during the season resulted in the largest decreases in testosterone. The wrestlers with an extremely low body fat demonstrated abnormally low testosterone levels that returned to normal after the season.
Other studies have also shown decreases in testosterone levels in wrestlers while consuming a low caloric energy diet. Guezennec et al (1994) measured testosterone in soldiers consuming low (1800 kcal/day), moderate (3200 kcal/day), or high (4200 kcal/day) calorie diets with similar ratios of carbohydrate, protein, and fat. The diets were consumed during 5 days of prolonged exercise and sleep deprivation (4 hrs/day). After 5 days, testosterone had decreased by ~50% on the low calorie diet and only about ~20% on the moderate and high calorie diets. These findings indicate that exhaustive exercise can decrease testosterone levels and that inadequate energy can speed up the decrease in testosterone.

Collectively the studies that have examined the effects of energy intake on testosterone indicate that large reductions in calories and body weight can reduce testosterone levels. This is especially true if a large reduction in calories is combined with prolonged and exhaustive physical activity. If weight loss is a goal, a much better approach would be to reduce calories slightly (about 300-500 kcal/day) and incorporate heavy resistance training into your exercise program. This should eliminate the decrease in testosterone that typically occurs when calories are reduced.

You're coming out of a low-calorie, low fat diet, and already at a low body weight--these are things that beat the crud out of testosterone levels. Testosterone encourages muscle growth, and discourages belly fat. Like I said earlier, your waist circumference isn't that big if compared to your height. But it probably is high given your weight. You might feel that eating more will just make for more belly fat--but if it brings your testosterone levels up, it might just do the opposite.

Get enough sleep, eat enough food. Lift weights. And don't do massive amounts of endurance exercise to try to compensate for the extra food.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 12:38

BF:
Progress:

I was diagnosed with low T when I was 16, when I went to see the doctor because of delayed puberty. I was then put on HRT for a year and I was able to experience puberty i.e., voice deepened, hair growth, genital growth. However, the treatment was discontinued after a year and I never looked back again or checked to see if my T levels had become normal. Now at 35 I think that might have been a mistake, because looking at my body it seems to be lesser developed than a normal male body, especially in the chest area, and the left side is more developed than the right side. Although I have tried bodybuilding in the past, it made little change to my body. I always struggle to put on weight and the weight I do put on tends to be fat.

I am unhappy with the flab I am carrying around my stomach area, I especially don't like how it rolls when I sit, this is why I want to lose it. Hence me taking up weight loss diet. I don't see how I will lose this flab by going on a clean bulk + weight training. I was not too long ago 180lbs and I managed when I was younger 190lbs and the body fat around the stomach did not go.

I think if I follow the Atkins diet at least until I lose the body fat around the stomach, then I can start the clean bulk phase. If I bulk now, I can't see it shrinking. I am also going to consult with my GP about resuming the HRT.

Can you suggest a healthy daily calorie and macro ratio in the format cal, carb g, protein g, and fat g?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 17:27

BF:

Were you underweight, a picky eater, etc., when you were sixteen? It's still possible that under nutrition was a factor. If that's not it, and your body just doesn't produce as much testosterone as usual, nothing will address your problem without hormone replacement therapy. No diet or exercise program will give you your desired results until the hormones are in line.

Quote:
1200 cals, approx 15g fat, approx 10g protein, 255g carbs.

Is that protein a misprint? Or are you coming out of a fruitarian diet or something? Pretty hard to hit those macros, especially to have had protein that low, otherwise. Also, if that's how you got down to 165, it's not too shocking if that didn't improve your fat to lean mass ratio. Carbohydrate can spare protein, to a point. But only to a point, a very low protein, high carb, low calorie diet will instead increase the ratio of lean mass to fat mass that's lost.

Quote:
1,300 cals, 20g carbs, 123.6g protein, 40g fat.

Honestly, I'd suggest at least a 100 grams of fat, and to keep total calories over 2000, whether they come from an increase in fat or in protein.

One more thing--you're new to low carb dieting, right? Many people go on low carb and find that they're not losing weight, but still getting less fat. In some low carb diet books--a book called Life Without Bread comes to mind--there are anecdotes where underweight people go on a low carb diet and their weight increases--not saying that they get fat, but that they fill out, gain lean mass like you're hoping to. It's entirely possible to put on lean mass while losing belly fat.

Speaking of wheat--probably a long shot, but have you ever been tested for celiac? Malnutrition can affect testosterone levels, celiac disease can cause malabsorption of nutrients.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 02:23

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Were you underweight, a picky eater, etc., when you were sixteen? It's still possible that under nutrition was a factor. If that's not it, and your body just doesn't produce as much testosterone as usual, nothing will address your problem without hormone replacement therapy. No diet or exercise program will give you your desired results until the hormones are in line.

No, I have never been a picky eater. I have normally eaten over 2500 cals and when I hit 190lb I was eating 3000-4000 cals a day. I think it is probably the low testosterone that is preventing me from gaining the muscle mass and putting on the fat. So I am going to be addressing that that next week with the GP.

Quote:
Is that protein a misprint? Or are you coming out of a fruitarian diet or something? Pretty hard to hit those macros, especially to have had protein that low, otherwise. Also, if that's how you got down to 165, it's not too shocking if that didn't improve your fat to lean mass ratio. Carbohydrate can spare protein, to a point. But only to a point, a very low protein, high carb, low calorie diet will instead increase the ratio of lean mass to fat mass that's lost.

I am sorry, that was a typo indeed, I meant to say approx 100g protein, my lowest intake of protein is about 60-70g. I will correct it in the original post.

Quote:
Honestly, I'd suggest at least a 100 grams of fat, and to keep total calories over 2000, whether they come from an increase in fat or in protein.

Wow 100g of fat a day is very high, if I did that, that would be the highest intake of fat I would have consumed in my entire life. Do I not need a calorie deficit, a few bodybuilding resources I have consulted have said I need 500 cals below my maintenance cals of 2300 cals or 1800 cals to lose weight. Also, if I was eating 100g of fat a day, then the problem I mentioned previously that the body will just use up those 100g of fat for energy rather than the average 50,000 cals worth of body fat. As fat is the most energy dense nutrient, wouldn't 100g of fat be sufficient for the body's energy needs, hence it would not have to resort to using the body fat?

Yeah, sorry I am a total newbie to low carbing. I have cut out wheat completely out of my diet, because I cannot hit 20g net carbs a day with anything wheat. I am considering almond and coconut flour. Reaching 20g carbs a a day is very difficult. I have cut out fruit(except strawberries and raspberries) all bread, all cereal and all beans.

I intend to be on this diet for 2-4 weeks, so-called induction phase 1 and then increase my carbs to 50g in phase 2.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 04:36

BF:
Progress:

I just did some measuring. The diet appears to be working(low cal, medium fat, high protein) I lost 1.5b this week and now am weighing in at 159lb and more importantly I lost 1.5", waistline is now 34.5". Flab in stomach area seems to have gone down a bit.

Hopefully, I won't have to go down all the way to 130, and 140 or 150lb might be enough for me to start the clean bulk and at this point I will probably resume HRT.

In case you are curious about meals. This was the breakfast I had:

Pancakes(100g fat free cottage cheese, 3 egg whites + 1 whole egg, tsp baking powder + 1 scoop soy protein powder --- filling drizzle of agave syrup, 4 raspberries, 1 blackberry, 1 strawberry, 1/2 tsp peanut butter, low fat cream)

+64 cals, 4.7g carbs, 10.1g protein
+116 cals, 16.6g protein, 4g fat
+ 43 cals, 9g protein
+ 2 cals, 1g carb
+ approx 10 cals, 3-4g carbs, 1g protein, 2g fat filling

Total: 235 cals, 5.7g carb, 36.7g protein, 8g fat

PJ coconut milk Smoothie(1 scoop protein)

+ 20 cals, 2.7g carbs
+12 cals, 0.5g carbs
+ 90 cals, 2.13g carbs, 4.01g protein, 8g fat, 1g fibre
+ 78 cals, 9g protein

Total: 190 cals, 5.3g carbs, 13g protein, 8g fat 1g fibre

BREAKFAST TOTAL: 425 cals, 14g carbs, 49.7g protein, 16g fat, 1g fibre

14g carbs is a bit high for a single meal, this gives me 6-10g of carbs to play with the entire day for 20-24g net carbs.

Last edited by skinnyfat : Sun, Jan-31-16 at 07:55.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 08:59

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

On that breakfast, you could easily get in more fat invisibily by using whole eggs and full fat cream.

Mark Sisson has an article on increasing testosterone naturally. He has collected research about:

Weight lifting increases testosterone. (apart from muscle building )

Sat and mono fats increase testosterone a little. Polunsaturated, not so much.

Low calorie reduces testosterone.
You can still have your needed deficit.
If your maintenance calories are 2300, even bodybuilding sources say don't do a deficit of more than 25% unless you're way fat.
So, it would be better for your T to shoot for 1700 cals.
If you keep protein at 120, and carbs at 20, that leaves 125 g of fat.

I get you about ectos not having a lot of muscle mass.
I had a boyfriend who was ecto and he was 180 at 6'2, not much muscle mass at all, no flab. Had heavy bones though it seemed.

Last edited by Seejay : Sun, Jan-31-16 at 09:07.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 09:02

BF:

I know a hundred grams of fat sounds like a lot if you're not used to it. But at maintenance, I've gone above 200 grams a day for long periods. You have to get your calories from somewhere, and if it's keto, that's fat.

Quote:
Do I not need a calorie deficit, a few bodybuilding resources I have consulted have said I need 500 cals below my maintenance cals of 2300 cals or 1800 cals to lose weight. Also, if I was eating 100g of fat a day, then the problem I mentioned previously that the body will just use up those 100g of fat for energy rather than the average 50,000 cals worth of body fat. As fat is the most energy dense nutrient, wouldn't 100g of fat be sufficient for the body's energy needs, hence it would not have to resort to using the body fat?

Quote:
1,300 cals, 20g carbs, 123.6g protein, 40g fat.

If that's 1300 calories, another 60 grams of fat only increases calories by 540, that's 1840 calories, still a pretty low intake for a fellow your size.

You said something earlier about turning fat into lean muscle. Of course this can't be literally done, but I hate it when people point this out as if everybody didn't know that.

But it certainly is possible to lose fat and at the same time gain lean mass. Some bodybuilding mythology suggests that you must either target gaining lean mass, or losing body fat. And of course that you have to overeat to do the one, and undereat to do the other. This is just plain untrue. Teenage boys are a good example, they gain lean mass while becoming less fat. Also, people who have been detrained--somebody who's lost a fair amount of muscle due to a year of skipping the gym will put on muscle at an accelerated rate. If you're testosterone deficient, and you go get this corrected through supplementation, you'll likely fall within this general class of people.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 12:09

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

You want to convert fat into muscles, not necessarily reduce weight. That is done as others said, by exercising. In fact, your proposal will get you dangerously low in weight.

Most of us who started exercising while dieting have experienced a loss in inches without weight loss because muscle is denser than fat - you can surely remove your belly fat without going on a weight loss diet

Most weight exercises will build leg and arm and shoulder muscles. if you have no experience, talk to a coach, as one can do it the right way - which always also involves the abdominal muscles - or the wrong way, which does not. In my fitness center, and I guess that's true for most, new members get one free evaluation - talk to the trainer about what you need.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 15:37

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Seejay for the advice on increasing T levels naturally. I have looked at a few options for supplementation Zinc, Ashwagandha, Tribulus Terrestis, Tongkat ali. I will start(or rather restart) weight lighting soon. I cannot at the moment commit to a gym routine.

Teaser, yeah 100g is a lot of fat, but my fat number is climbing up and today it hit the highest in months. Here is my daily nutrition and diet(excluding breakfast)

Lunch

30g low fat chedder cheese, 2 asparagus, 1 zucchini, cabbage, 1/4 avacado, 5 mushrooms, 20g chia seeds

+87 cals, 9.76g protein, 5.05g fat
+7 cals, 0.6g carbs
+33 cals, 4.9 carbs, 2g fibre
+80 cals, 0.8 carbs, 1g protein, 7g fat, 3.4g fibre
+ 25 cals, 2.6g carbs, 3.6g protein, 1.2g fibre
+97, 1g carbs, 3g protein, 5g fat, 7g fibre

LUNCH TOTAL = 304 cals, 8.9g carbs, 17.3g protein, 17g fat, 13.8g fibre

Snack

Almond milk smoothie

+13 cals, 1.1g fat
+12 cals, 0.5g carbs
+87 cals, 18g protein
+69 cals, 2.55g protein, 6g fat, 1.4g fibre

TOTAL: 181 cals, 0.5g carb, 20.55g protein, 7g fat, 1.4g fibre

3 olives

TOTAL: 21 cals, 1.82g fat
Dinner

Cod fish, 80g Edamame beans, Cauliflower 52g, 20g ricotta cheese, 10g cheddar and 10g parmesan, 1tsp cream

+ 112 cals, 25.1g protein, 1.3g fat
+ 98 cals, 4g carbs, 9g protein, 4g fat, 4g fibres
+13 cals, 2.8g carb, 1.g protein
+27.3 cal, 1.8g protein, 2g fat
+ 58 cals, 6.5g protein, 3.3g fat
+39.9, 3.3g protein, 2.8g fat

TOTAL: 348.2 cals, 6.8g carbs, 46.7g protein, 13,4g fat, 4g fibre

Lemon Posse desert(80g half fat cream, 1/2 lemon)

+100 cals, 2.g carbs, 2g protein, 9g fat
+ 6 cals, 2g carbs

TOTAL: 106 cals, 4g carbs, 2g protein, 9g fat

DINNER TOTAL: 454 cals, 10.8g carbs, 48.7g protein, 22.4g fat, 4g fibre

DAILY TOTAL: 1383 cals, 34.2g carbs, 136g protein, 64.2g fat, 20g fibre

As you can see my cal intake is still pretty low, but it is approx 100 cals higher at 1400 cals. I went over my target carbs by 14g today, I am going to try bring it down to 20g tomorrow. I think I need to add another snack meal between breakfast and lunch to bring it closer to 1700 cals(5 meals total per day) and increase the quantity of food. Protein is also too high, I am going to cut back on the protein powder and bring it down about 100g per day.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 17:06

BF:

That lemon/cream dessert looks interesting, I had to look it up.

I know a hundred grams of fat sounds like a lot, if you're not used to it. But it's probably not that far off from what most people eating the standard American diet eat. And it's really not a bad way to get your calories, as long as you're not also taking in loads of refined carbohydrates, pizza, french fries etc.