Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 17:38

Plan: Atkins / IF
Stats: 258/232.7/200 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Is it a good thing to make a spread sheet to track weight loss?

Since my weight loss journey, I've been keeping a spreadsheet and updating daily my weight, calories eaten, etc. And it's been a really useful tool, especially the graphs. I can definitely see a relationship between calories eaten and weight loss.

In addition, I also make note of everything I eat throughout the day. All this data collecting takes a some time and effort( not too much ), but I believe it's worth it because it's so interesting to look back and see what happens when you eat this, and that. The only two things dieters have in control over our weight loss is how much we eat, and how much we exercise. So I do find it interesting to tinker with these values, and see the net result.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 18:36

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

If it helps you to keep motivated, informed and moving forward it is all good.

I personally do not, as I have found if I just stick to meat and induction veggies, I can eat as much as I want and still lose weight (with exercise added in).

Of course, I never balanced my check book either.

You should post it here as it is more good information for the community.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 19:33

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Here's the basic data I've collected and still collect: http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Also, this
Quote:
...The only two things dieters have in control over our weight loss is how much we eat, and how much we exercise.

There are two other things I can think of right off the bat and that's:

What we eat (Is a carb really just a carb?)
When we eat (thinking IF or Fasting or all day snacking)

I'm with Sniggle, post some of your data, It would be fun to see. The only thing I've really be able to take away from min is:

My body loose lots of weight when I fast.
My body put on lots of weight I come off a fast
Over the long run my body has lost weight
There seems to be about a 1-2 day lag in correlation between Acetone in breath and net carbs ingested.

I think something done each day to remind ones self to eat properly and move about is a good thing. My daily.txt think does that for me.

YMMV
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/237.7/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I commend you guys that have the discipline to log every bite, activity, etc. I am waaaaaaaaaay too lazy to do so and I know it! I'm more like Sniggle (checkbook and all!!). I did take a look at Thud's stats the other day. It is very interesting to review all the change day to day over the years.

For me, if doing a 'diet' (new way of eating), becomes a chore, I'm just not going to stick to it. Logging food, points, carbs, whatever plan you follow, is a chore to me. My motto - KISS - keep it simple stupid. Eat meat, veggies, good fats - not low fat - and say no to breads, rice, etc. etc.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 16:07

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default spreadsheet

I've been keeping a pretty detailed spreadsheet containing my daily weight, fasting blood glucose reading, and food, broken down into total calories, fat calories, protein calories, net carbs, percentages of each calorie (fat/protein/carb). I also keep a set of running charts for a quick look and correlation of weight, calories, fat and carbs. I do not think this is needed by any means, and would not tell anyone to do it, but I find it interesting, and helpful to determine what is working.

I tried to post a screen shot of my spreadsheet but couldn't figure out how to do it. Clicking on the insert image opened a window asking for text.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 13:12

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

If you are a data person, which you seem to be, this is a great thing. I'm that way myself, so I totally relate to what you are doing. I like to keep track of everything and I always do best when I'm closely tracking these things related to diet and weight loss. It keeps me accountable to myself, and helps me see which things affect weight loss and gain, etc.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 15:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Cool

I think keeping notes in some form or another is a really good idea, especially when you're just starting out. Some people are number-minded and prefer a food counter like MyFitnessPal or Fitday, and some prefer to just keep track on a journal here or on paper. You could technically follow induction without counting carbs if you just follow the other guidelines - 3 cups of salad veggies, the limits on cheese, reading labels for no added sugar, etc

I found one of the clues to my gluten intolerance by going back through my Livejournal and finding a pattern of some serious emotional meltdowns.

It's funny how we can be data-minded in one context, but not another. I have no patience anymore for logging every bite of food. I do, however, save every single receipt, enter all of my spending into a personal finance tracker, and pay off my credit cards every pay day. This is probably because I went through a miserable period of poverty, and one of the things that frustrated me the most was the times that being disorganized ended up costing me money (eg late fees). Sometimes, just being poor cost me more money (not being able to afford a monthly bus pass, having to pay cash.) Now, I find it incredibly empowering to see all of those zeroes next to the credit card amounts every pay day, and to watch my savings grow. So I 'get it' when people can look at their food log, see their success, and feel better.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I've kept a spreadsheet of my weight five years running now. In addition I often write a note or two next to the morning weigh in. I don't keep track of macros. I tried but it was too much of a PIA.

I do find it makes me think too much and stress about a few pounds here or there. It helps to see if eliminating dairy or atkins bars, etc. make any difference for me (they don't). I've used it to see if there is a correlation between weight loss and urine ketones (strong).

Overall it's been a positive.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 19:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't know how to do a spread sheet. But I do keep a record of what I eat, my blood glucose, and - once a week - my weight. It's educational to look back & see how I was doing 6 months or a year ago.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 20:08

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

I use Fitday everyday to log food and weight and also record body measurements and weights in my special "dietbook". If you were to turn the pages - and there's many many - if you were to turn the pages of this book that I keep all these notes in 'tadah' you will find pages and graphs and records from nearly 30 years ago hehe! diets like Jenny Craig, Gloria Marshall, my own attempts geesh.