Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 11:03

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Post Extended Fasting

Well I did a 2 day fast, and proudly jumped on the scale the next day to find that I had lost .2 lb. I broke the fast and weighed myself the next morning and had lost 5 lbs. Doing the fast was easy, and I thought about continuing it for 3 days but I didn't want to overdo things. The fast helped me break the 200 barrier for the first time since 2009. I am thinking about fasting 2 days a week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 18:21

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good report Dazed1 but you'll soon be shown some lines from the AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) and told that you'll need to confine talk of fasting >24 hrs to your journal. Start one!

I've used fasting as a tool in my journey as well, some longer some shorter than 24 hrs and Have tried mainly to keep record of it in my journal. I found that scale weight goes down during a fast then back up after rehydrating/glyconating (not really a word but I'll make it up anyway) and eating again.

I find that I get a good boost of energy when fasting aproaching 24 hrs Looks like you're stoked about it too! Right on!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 18:51

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Hi Dazed - I'm a big fan of IF. I naturally fast 20/4 every day only eating 1 main meal and occasionally fast for 2 days. It seems to be what my body prefers and I am slowly and steadily consistently losing 2kg-2.5kg a month.

Admin - Can I ask why no talking about fasting other than in your journal? I have had a look but I can't find a guide/answer on this. Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 20:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessAus
Admin - Can I ask why no talking about fasting other than in your journal? I have had a look but I can't find a guide/answer on this. Thanks

The original post explaining this is in the Dr.Fung/Obesity Code thread in Diabetes section .. we repost from time to time as necessary ..
Quote:
Concerns have been raised over the increased use of extended water-only fasts and other forms of severely restricted nourishment for prolonged periods of time. This is in contrast to the various published IF (Intermittent Fasting) protocols which advocate short-duration "fasts" of 18 to 24 hours, with optimal nutrition on non-fasting days in between.

Short-duration IF has been shown to be safe for weight loss in overweight and obese adults. However, even the expert authors of these IF programs recommend prolonged fasting ONLY under medical supervision. Here at Active Low-Carber, we are in full agreement with this position.

Please note that Forum Rule #2 states:
Quote:
... It is beyond the scope of our support community to prescribe a diet plan for you, so we encourage you to consult your doctor and read one or more of the published program books. Once you've decided which plan is right for you, we are here to help you along the way. Please note, we only discuss published plans, not proprietary, clinic-only type of plans as these require personal and/or professional supervision, and we cannot give medical advice or service..
Thus .. seeking support, encouragement and/or promotion of prolonged fasting is consdered beyond the scope of this forum and such discussion is not appropriate here. We understand that some members may indeed be under medical supervision for such a regimen; if they want to document their experience it should be confined to the relative privacy of their journal.

Thanks for understanding,

Another problem is that past discussions about prolonged fasting have ended up being pro-anorexia triggers, including tips and tricks for ignoring hunger as long as possible, and rah-rah cheerleading. This has caused some readers recovering from eating disorders to not feel safe here, which is not acceptable.

There are other sites where you can seek expert advice and support for extended fasting if that's what you want to do. Dietdoctor.com is one. Dr. Fung's Obesity Code facebook page is another.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-18, 03:52

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I will let it drop if the site forbids it, but I must say fasting is a natural state in human evolution, but it was called nothing to eat. I understand that the site doesn't want to be seen as endorsing something frowned on by our great medical community that was responsible for the obesity in America. With that said I won't talk about it, but I will do it.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-18, 06:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Doreen states the position well and there are enough other places for support; Dr Fung's Obesity Code Facebook page and the 2KetoDudes forum both have moderator supported protocols where fasting information is kept current. Dr Fung recently removed any potassium from electrolyte 'aides' unless blood tests show you are deficient. Safety is critical for anyone going beyond skipping one meal.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-18, 07:22

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

A misinterpretation of CAPTN' Kirk's line to Spock near the end of the movie The Wrath of Khan (1982) comes to mind
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-18, 07:51

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do 23/1 nearly every day. And on the days I don't, it's 22/2 or 21/3, not 12/12. There are Facebook groups for support with different flavours of One Meal A Day.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-18, 08:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Folks, the policy applies to prolonged water-only or dry fasts that extend beyond 24 - 36 hours. Short-duration IF, alternate-day and one meal a day are fine to discuss and share experiences. Other members here have incorporated these techniques into their low-carb plan with success.

Please do not keep harping on this issue. If you choose to pursue extended fasting, we wish you well and simply ask that you seek advice and support from experienced persons elsewhere. As the OP has already responded, this discussion is now closed to further comment.

Doreen
Closed Thread