Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-18, 19:13

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default 50+ and single challenges LCHF

Hello!
I hope this thread will catch on. I have found that I am battling some challenges that aren't addressed specifically. First I am 52- and doing this LCHF for the second time and it is SO much harder the second go around.

Then there is the fact I am single. Not that is an issue, but food wise I have situations where I do eat out, and don't have that support at home. This is a great place for support. But there ARE challenges to being single and not having that other person in front of you. Then there is the dating dilemma and food. I have found that too to be an obstacle. I don't want to be with someone who is not LC like minded! So there are challenges. I am NOT looking for this thread to be a singles site. But just to talk about the fact there are different challenges for those of us that just cook for ourself.

So I am 52- an like I said doing this again for the second time. First go around I lost 100+ pounds. I stayed a size 6 for about 7 years. Then truly in the span of 6 months piled on 55 pounds and am struggling to get it off and it doesn't seem to want to budge this time around.

I am Adkins keeping it to 15 carbs goal 20 tops a day. I keep it simple- meat/fish/LC veggies.
I have been working on these 55 pounds now for going on two years. They are not moving. I have had all the "tests" run- all normal.

So is there anyone out there that can relate. I am rebooting and would love to hear from those in a similar situations.

The floor is open! Please join!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 11:44

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not over fifty, but I am a single. However, I haven't really felt that being single has impacted on my ability to either lose the weight or keep it off (so far). In fact, many people with partners tell me that they'd find it harder going LC because they wouldn't necessarily have the support of their family. And I can understand that; who'd want to be trying to abstain from cereals/bread/potatoes/pasta etc when the person beside them is still happily wolfing them down?

For me, I guess being single has given me that freedom to focus on myself without any such "distractions", for lack of a better word. Like you, I wouldn't want to be with someone who is not LC minded either. But I'm also comfortable with the idea of going it alone if that's what it takes to maintain my health.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 12:08

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm in my 50's and single. I think of this as a blessing as far as eating is concerned. This is my first attempt at significantly changing my diet (avoiding Grains, Potatoes and Sugar) so I can't speak to any issues on a second go-around, Did experiment last year with overloading my system with sugar a few times and the weight came back off at a reasonable rate. I don't have a long track record (3 years yesterday) so who knows what will happen in the future if I pile the weight back on. I don't plan on it but you never know

I can only think that, if you are maintaining a weight, that your body is using the amount of food that you are consuming efficiently. Are you happy with your health and mobility?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 18:51

BF:

Hello!
Awesome to see people here!

Thud- so I think in my thoughts that there are issues being older and doing a LC, second time around has a problem. Also just being single too- I think one is more prone to going out? Have you had that experience?

It's awesome you are cutting back on sugar and grain! I am more Keto than anything else because it FEELS better to me.

Grav- do you date and do you find that food and food issues are an issue? just a question? Thank you for being on here!!!!
What is your WOE?

Jaz
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 00:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz66
Grav- do you date and do you find that food and food issues are an issue? just a question? Thank you for being on here!!!!
What is your WOE?

I'm definitely LC, though I'm not quite sure if I'm into the keto range or not. I don't keep a daily carb limit, but I instead restrict myself to foods with no more than 5g carbs per 100g (with just a couple of exceptions up to 10g). Restricting carbs this way gives me the freedom to continue to eat to satiety without worrying about some daily limit which I would find harder to manage.

I haven't dated for a few years, certainly not since going LC which I started about 3 years ago. Since I'd been overweight for my entire life up to that point, I actually deliberately kept my head down for a while as I wanted to make sure that nothing would get in the way of finally losing the weight. And even now, being anything resembling a "normal" shape still feels new and exciting to me, so I can't help but continue to feel a bit protective of my WOE these days, even if it means continuing to go it alone for the forseeable future.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 05:25

BF:

Quote:
...Also just being single too- I think one is more prone to going out? Have you had that experience?

The opposite is true for me if you're talking about going out to eat or take in civil entertainment. My days seem to be structured like this:

Wake at 0500
Work (as little as possible)
Play
Eat
Sleep by 2100

Socialization happens at work and play - basically zero hanging out, recharging for Play. I guess that's why I'm single! Easy.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 04:09

BF:

Grav- that is awesome you are losing weight on LC! How much have you lost? Do yo find this forum helpful with that?

I think that LC lifestyle is catching on in the main stream public. However there is also another group that truly believes one must have all this fiber and whole grains to to healthy. NOT! HAHAH

Thud- What do you practice for a WOE? Do you cook? I think What I met was I find when I go out to socially to eat- it is harder to stay on track.
Therefore I do cook alot. What do you do for "play"?
Seems to me society is very centered around food gatherings. Do you find this to be true?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 04:55

BF:

Quote:
Thud- What do you practice for a WOE? Do you cook? I think What I met was I find when I go out to socially to eat- it is harder to stay on track.
Therefore I do cook alot. What do you do for "play"?
Seems to me society is very centered around food gatherings. Do you find this to be true?

- Play Here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478608

- My WOE as I hear people refer to it is avoid GPS (Grains, Potatoes, Sugar)

- I don't go out socially to eat but maybe once a month for breakfast, there I have something like this...'

or if that's not available ala carte eggs or something.

So. Basic.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 06:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I find being single makes sticking to low carb easier. I was in my 50's when I started and am now quickly approaching 70. I don't have to please anyone but myself. I almost never go out to eat. At social occasions (not that many) I stick to the plan. If there's nothing provided that I can eat then I don't eat. If asked I assure everyone that I am just fine with things the way they are. I don't expect anyone to cater to me although it is nice when they do. The only foods in my house are those that are in line with my low carb eating plan. We all face challenges but we all also have choices. I try to make the healthy choices despite the challenges that I might face. I've been doing this for a long time and it's become easy.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 14:08

BF:

Quote:
Grav- that is awesome you are losing weight on LC! How much have you lost? Do yo find this forum helpful with that?

I think that LC lifestyle is catching on in the main stream public. However there is also another group that truly believes one must have all this fiber and whole grains to to healthy. NOT! HAHAH

Yes, I've observed the dichotomy first hand. I don't know if LC has become fully mainstream just yet, but I do sense a quiet momentum out there. For all the "science" that pushes grains and demonises saturated fat, there are more and more real world stories of people like you and me that can demonstrate otherwise.

As for how much I personally lost, I went from 302 pounds to 180 in 21 months, and have continued to hover in the 180s for most of the nearly two years since then. And yes, I've found this forum to be a wonderful source of support over the course of my journey. It's been a great help to me.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 16:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Great conversation!
Jaz — I want to contribute to two of your comments.
Age and number of times low-carbing
I’m now 53. I’ve never found low carb to just “drop” the pounds like some do. My early attempts in my late 30s and mid 40s basically did two things: let me lose 10 - 20 pounds and then be lazy, eat more carbs than I should, but be able to stop gaining past my personal “high” when I would jump back into low-carbing. This time (almost two years ago) I’ve made a commitment to a total life change. I started tracking all fats, protein and carbs. I didn’t expect it to work for much weight loss....but it has. The thing that is harder is the work I’m doing. I’ve stuck to my plan when it was “working” and when it wasn’t. I’ve focused on the benefits that have nothing to do with weight loss, and kept tracking. Over 21 months I have lost 25 lbs. That’s more than I ever have lost since illness and stress led me to gain 50 pounds in my mid 30s. There are ppl here who have lost 3 times that in 1/2 the time but that’s not me, so I don’t worry about it. The foods good and I feel so much healthier so I will just keep workin’ It and see where I am by the time I’m 55.
If it’s worked for you in the past, I believe it will work again, but being very honest about portion sizes and carb counts was made a difference to me. Maybe for you too?

Being single and low carbing (ok actually being married with kids and low carbing)
It’s challenging to serve pasta, keep bread, allow rice chips, to serve roast potatoes, fluffy steamed rice etc to growing hungry teens who have no weight issues, and to stay stay low-carb. It seems unfair to insist they not have those foods. I’m not talking about cookies and candy and ice cream — just normal grains and potatoes that for me would make me binge, but for them are just another food in proportion to the rest of the foods on their plate.

Further, it took my DW a full year to stop worrying about me not eating legumes, sweet potatoes, beets, corn...out loud. Verbally. Not undermining me but worried (she’s athletic, a foodie, and very interested in nutrition and health.) It took her a full year to not feel depressed that we don’t eat the same foods (meat isn’t great for her, she’s not vegatarian but doesn’t eat much meat) and there’s this tiny ven-diagram of shared foods we have between us. We’ve had to respectfully communicate what food means in a family and a relationship, what mealtimes mean, and to work out how to manage family meals. Mostly big fancy veggie dishes, I cook a slab o’ meat on the side for me, with whole grain/legume/tofu dishes for her and the kids on the other side. I have gone up the carb ladder with veg and some fruit and save those carbs for our shared meals. But all along, I’ve have to be strong and self-aware, and stay consistently low carb so that my cravings are low otherwise the temptation it hard.

When she travels I go super low carb for a few days and it feels like a treat!

I’ve been a single mom of small kids and that’s hard. But I was more in control of the food in the house. With teens, it’s different, and hard in its own way. Being alone is also hard. I can imagine falling into a plate of noodles and there being no one to pull me out. But I also know that in my house, there are many kinds of noodles in the cupboard all the time, and so I have to just choose to not see those as options for me. No one undermines me but they wouldn’t
see it as a problem if I ate bowl full.

Eating out tip that works for me: eat a good solid snack before you go. At least for me, then I have self control to order wisely and in smaller portions, because I’m not weak-willed through starvation.

I seem to have rambled on and one, I hope of some it is helpful. We all have challenges and this is at place to get support no matter what they are.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/general low carb
Stats: 196/183/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking

Happy Autumn, Jaz. Nice to meet you. I'm 53 and single. Divorce = stress, boredom, loneliness ---> FOOD. I put on 20# since leaving ex (does losing his scrawny 165# count as weight loss?) which made original 35# harder to lose. I tried the plant based thing, that diet, this diet. I always cave. This eating style though is where 19ish years ago I found success. I never give up, call it a personality flaw. I simply don't want to be sick and tired, literally or figuratively.

I had to have gallbladder surgery 2 years ago. Can you believe lady night I checked back on this forum because I have had digestive issues since the surgery and see curious how LC folks manage with eating fat. I wasn't actually thinking about the
added benefit of weight loss for once and definitely not because I really wanted to give up __________________ (carb.) Sure enough, I'm seeing 86ing most carbs, especially sugar, wheat and other grains might help my problem. Flax muffins, keto coffee, things have come a long way since I did good of Atkins and Protein Power in 1998.

I am now almost 100% menopausal; still having nude inspiring hot flashes in cold weather, my eyes don't see at night like they used to, my boobs are five inches lower, I binge watch Netflix and I have insomnia like a Las Vegas hooker. A lot more to fix, if any of that is possible. But I really do want my life back from the clutches of old bitchdom and divorce. Imagine messaging the ex with gorgeous after pics!

I have a lot of carby goodies to get rid of. I just bought the whole wheat saltines for my soup 3 days ago. A box of mashed potatoes. I know, I know. But do I want to look and feel better? Time to do this. I'm going to plan a well executed gradual change so I hopefully have a less severe case of keto-flu and my insomnia or hot flashes don't flare up and drive me to do something I'll regret. (Any drastic change seems to do that.)

I see a lot of great support here, this thread is a wonderful idea. I love the tips and the ideas. Much inspiration! I don't have a great track record for following an eating plan but I'm well studied in the literature about LCing so maybe I can help someone by that if not by my really bad example. Here's to a lot of 🍳!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 23:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thud, yr food pix are always so inspiring. I wish I could just order up your plate!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 04:07

BF:

I am loving this conversation!
MOJE- I was surgically induced Menopause- LC has helped with those hot flashes! Seriously!!!! I sure can tell a difference!

Thud- OMG I loved your pic!!!!! It is morning- and STILL looks good. I am doing LCHF and OMAD. One meal a day. It has taken me a while to get to this point. I really am just loving just ONE really good meal a day. For me it is the way to go!

On the being single thing- I found that MOST dates revolve around food. Most social events revolve around food. And not the holidays are around the corner.

I have found that MOST people yes do = food= love.
I like you all are not enticed by sweets- but savory carbs, noodles, rice, ect will give me a real bender.

GRAV- I too have noticed a SMALL incurrent in the main stream with more people at least interested in LC. But then you always have some loud mouth that will tell you calories in= calories out. You can't argue ignorance. However, that is what main stream people think. It really is all bout how the body responds. We are all different.

I do however think it is harder the second time around and over 50!!! However, I find it inspiring here to read everyone's stories! I just love this forum
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-18, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Well I'm not single (live with husband) and I'm 67. My husband does not eat low carb, even though he should, but it does not hinder me. He is actually very proud of the weight I have lost. We eat out almost every day for a late lunch/early dinner. I no longer do much cooking and we eat out a lot. I have learned that almost everywhere has a good salad and usually it is available with grilled chicken. He has even begun to order the cobb salad that I prefer at one of our favorite restaurants that is packed with chicken, avocado, bacon, cheese and egg. I have learned to ignore the sweets and breads. I have had no trouble finding items on the menu that I can eat. A fantastic burger at a good restaurant is wonderful....I just don't eat the bun.

It all depends on the restaurant, and it is harder to eat at a fast food place than a good restaurant.

I am now retired, but when I worked I usually had to eat my lunch alone because of the set up of our office. I found a couple of restaurants that were good for my low carb choices and would take a book and read and eat for an hour of peace.

So, you can date and go to a nice restaurant and find plenty of great low carb choices (unless you go to a pizza joint).

Don't limit yourself to dating people who are also on a low carb diet......you may miss someone wonderful!