Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-23, 08:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Big Fat Keto Lies now on Kindle!

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Keto...k/dp/B0BRL6TBMF

Marty Kendall's goal was not to bash low-carb diets but to take a data-driven look at these beliefs to help people get the results they want based on their context and goals.

He wrote Big Fat Keto Lies at the peak of the keto trend to dispel the myths that emerged that were leading people to get less than optimal results.

1. ‘Optimal ketosis’ is a goal. More ketones are better.
2. You have to be ‘in ketosis’ to burn fat.
3. You should eat more fat to burn more body fat.
4. Protein should be avoided due to gluconeogenesis.
5. Fat is a ‘free food’ because it doesn’t elicit an insulin response.
6. It’s all about insulin and avoiding carbs.
7. Fasting for longer is better.
8. ‘Insulin toxicity’ is enemy No. 1.
9. Calories don’t count.
10. Stable blood sugars lead to fat loss.
11. You should ‘eat fat to satiety’ to lose body fat.
12. If in doubt, keep calm and keto on.

The updated version is now available on Amazon Kindle for a bargain basement price of $2.99. If you have Kindle Unlimited, it's free!
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-23, 11:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm reading this book and while I'm not done, it has already been a treasure trove of information.

It helped me advance to my latest upgrade. This book shakes up complacency, or even explains where we might have been going wrong. It inspired me to add carefully selected root vegetables for more vitamin A, and to concentrate on enough protein in each meal.

I'm always open to improvement. I think it helps me stay ahead as I -- ahem -- grow in strength and power.
  #303   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-23, 06:09

WearBear, I love how being in Marty's very international group exposes me to new sources on nutrition info. Here's another NZ podcaster Marty likes. Her interview with him was released yesterday and right next to it on the list, her interview with Dr Alesseo Fasano about gut microbiome and auto immunity, and bone health strategies
https://mikkiwilliden.com/podcast. Thought of you

Talking about Satiety per Calorie and Fat being the Least Satiating Per Calorie, getting people to consider egg whites and low fat yogurt again….you can think of his programs as "Keto Rehab". So true for me.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-18-23 at 08:55.
  #304   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-23, 04:29

For everyone who does not like reading e-books, even if free on Kindle Unlimited, as of today Big Fat Keto Lies is available in Paperback.
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Keto...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=
  #305   ^
Old Mon, May-08-23, 03:50

If you are a fan of Dr Peter Attia's long form podcasts, or have followed him through his keto and fasting phases (which he no longer does himself nor recommends) you will enjoy this almost 500 page book.

Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity
Quote:
A groundbreaking manifesto on living better and longer that challenges the conventional medical thinking on aging and reveals a new approach to preventing chronic disease and extending long-term health, from a visionary physician and leading longevity expert.

Wouldn’t you like to live longer? And better? In this operating manual for longevity, Dr. Peter Attia draws on the latest science to deliver innovative nutritional interventions, techniques for optimizing exercise and sleep, and tools for addressing emotional and mental health.

For all its successes, mainstream medicine has failed to make much progress against the diseases of aging that kill most people: heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and type 2 diabetes. Too often, it intervenes with treatments too late to help, prolonging lifespan at the expense of healthspan, or quality of life. Dr. Attia believes we must replace this outdated framework with a personalized, proactive strategy for longevity, one where we take action now, rather than waiting.

This is not “biohacking,” it’s science: a well-founded strategic and tactical approach to extending lifespan while also improving our physical, cognitive, and emotional health. Dr. Attia’s aim is less to tell you what to do and more to help you learn how to think about long-term health, in order to create the best plan for you as an individual.

https://peterattiamd.com/outlive/

He has been on some very good long form podcasts, notably:

Huberman Lab: https://hubermanlab.com/dr-peter-at...h-and-lifespan/

Dr Rangan Chatterjee: https://drchatterjee.com/blog/category/podcast/
Why Healthspan Matters more than Lifespan.

One of many media articles, Peter Attia says we have more knowledge than we use to stop deterioration from ageing : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04...ce=abc_news_web

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, May-08-23 at 05:27.
  #306   ^
Old Mon, May-08-23, 12:56

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
WearBear, I love how being in Marty's very international group exposes me to new sources on nutrition info. Here's another NZ podcaster Marty likes. Her interview with him was released yesterday and right next to it on the list, her interview with Dr Alesseo Fasano about gut microbiome and auto immunity, and bone health strategies
https://mikkiwilliden.com/podcast. Thought of you

Talking about Satiety per Calorie and Fat being the Least Satiating Per Calorie, getting people to consider egg whites and low fat yogurt again….you can think of his programs as "Keto Rehab". So true for me.

I tried that link but it didn't work for me. I saw the name Dr. Alesseo Fasano.....I learned so much from him about 15 years ago because he was a real pioneer in the U.S. with making more information known and understood about celiac disease. I'm going to see what all he's saying now, I had forgotten about him for a long time.
  #307   ^
Old Mon, May-08-23, 13:09

I had trouble linking to the Podcast section of her website, appears some parts are being re-designed? But search in your Podcast store for MikkiPedia, or these links:

Contact Mikki:
https://mikkiwilliden.com/
https://www.facebook.com/mikkiwillidennutrition
https://www.instagram.com/mikkiwilliden/
  #308   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-23, 09:28

Ultra-Processed People: The Science Behind the Food That Isn't Food
by Chris van Tulleken (Author). June 27. Publication.

Quote:
A manifesto to change how you eat and how you think about the human body.

It’s not you, it’s the food.

We have entered a new age of eating. For the first time in human history, most of our calories come from an entirely novel set of substances called Ultra-Processed Food. There’s a long, formal scientific definition, but it can be boiled down to this: if it’s wrapped in plastic and has at least one ingredient that you wouldn’t find in your kitchen, it’s UPF.

These products are specifically engineered to behave as addictive substances, driving excess consumption. They are now linked to the leading cause of early death globally and the number one cause of environmental destruction. Yet almost all our staple foods are ultra-processed. UPF is our food culture and for many people it is the only available and affordable food. In this book, Chris van Tulleken, father, scientist, doctor, and award-winning BBC broadcaster, marshals the latest evidence to show how governments, scientists, and doctors have allowed transnational food companies to create a pandemic of diet-related disease.

The solutions don’t lie in willpower, personal responsibility, or exercise. You’ll find no diet plan in this book—but join Chris as he undertakes a powerful self-experiment that made headlines around the world: under the supervision of colleagues at University College London he spent a month eating a diet of 80 percent UPF, typical for many children and adults in the United States. While his body became the subject of scientific scrutiny, he spoke to the world’s leading experts from academia, agriculture, and—most important—the food industry itself. But more than teaching him about the experience of the food, the diet switched off Chris’s own addiction to UPF. In a fast-paced and eye-opening narrative he explores the origins, science, and economics of UPF to reveal its catastrophic impact on our bodies and the planet. And he proposes real solutions for doctors, for policy makers, and for all of us who have to eat. A book that won’t only upend the way you shop and eat, Ultra-Processed People will open your eyes to the need for action on a global scale.

Have already read a number of reviews.
Wall Street Journal today.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ultra-...stible-cdacc45b

Quote:
'Ultra-Processed People’

Review: The Problem With Irresistible Processed foods are stripped of nutrients and loaded with ingredients that contribute to disease. They’re made to be addictive too.

Nestlé is the world’s largest food company, with sales of more than $105 billion last year and a presence in 188 countries. Its products—from Hot Pockets to Häagen-Dazs ice cream—are, the company claims, “enhancing quality of life and contributing to a healthier future.” But two years ago, the Financial Times revealed the contents of an internal report that surely caused indigestion at Nestlé headquarters in Switzerland: It said more than 60% of the company’s mainstream food and beverage products—and 96% of its non-coffee beverages—failed to meet a “recognized definition of health.”

While hardly a surprise—no one thinks of Häagen-Dazs as a food source teeming with healthy nutrients—the disclosure is emblematic of a wider problem. Nestlé is one of many purveyors of the ultra-processed foods that now account for about 60% of adult calorie consumption in the U.S. (The ratio is even higher for children.) The growing popularity of these foods over the past few decades has contributed to rising obesity rates and wreaked havoc on health along the way.

Ultra-Processed People: Why We Can't Stop Eating Food That Isn't Food

Chris van Tulleken, a physician and BBC broadcaster based in the U.K., argues that ultra-processed foods “subvert the systems in the body that regulate weight and many other functions.” In “Ultra-Processed People,” a persuasive mix of analysis and commentary, he shows how these foods affect our bodies and how their popularity stems in part from shady marketing and slanted science.

Dr. van Tulleken defines an ultra-processed food as anything that’s “wrapped in plastic and has at least one ingredient that you wouldn’t usually find in a standard home kitchen.” A kindred definition has it that the more ingredients one finds on a food label—Nestlé’s steak-and-cheese Hot Pocket has about 75—the greater the degree of the processing involved. Ultra-processed food, says one scientist quoted by Dr. van Tulleken, shouldn’t even be called “food” but rather “an industrially produced edible substance.”

Though broadly gauged, Dr. van Tulleken’s analysis includes one vivid episode of first-person reporting. For a month, he made ultra-processed foods account for 80% of his daily calorie intake. The effects were unsettling, to say the least: He gained 13 pounds, slept poorly, experienced constipation, and began craving Diet Coke, drinking six cans a day. His appetite hormones became “totally deranged,” and he was hungry even after eating. “In just a few weeks, I felt like I aged ten years,” he writes. “I was aching, exhausted, miserable and angry. Ironically, food often felt like the solution rather than the problem.”

Dr. van Tulleken cites reams of studies to show the effects of ultra-processed foods, pausing to give special focus to a paper published in 2019. Twenty people lived around the clock at the federal government’s National Institutes of Health for a month. For two weeks, 10 of them ate nothing but unprocessed food (including fruits and vegetables as well as chicken and roast beef). The other half got 80% of their calories from ultra-processed food. The groups swapped diets for the remaining two weeks. Throughout the study, they were free to eat as much as they wanted.

The result? Participants in the unprocessed-food phase of the experiment lost weight while the others gained weight, consuming on average 500 more calories per day. The study probably underestimated the contrast, Dr. van Tulleken notes, since it included no marketing or health claims, both of which lead people to consume even larger quantities of ultra-processed food. Such foods in the marketplace are often described with meaningless terms such as “natural” and “low carb,” while unprocessed fruits and vegetables get no health claims at all.

Marketing strategies aside, the appeal of ultra-processed foods is typically said to rest on a trio of seemingly benign attributes: They are inexpensive, easy to prepare and delicious. But Dr. van Tulleken sees the appeal deriving from something more insidious. With the aid of various additives and sophisticated chemical modifications, these foods have been manufactured to become addictive. He points to the speed of the reward (akin to the “hit” of snorted cocaine) and to the manipulation of brain signals. “By speedballing different tastes and sensations,” he writes, these foods “can force far more calories into us than we could otherwise handle, creating enormous neurological rewards that keep us coming back for more.” It’s not that people utterly lack agency, of course—the problem for many is less coercion than seduction. Ultra-processed foods surround us—they are prevalent in every drug store and grocery store and are the foundation of every fast-food outlet. As such, resisting them requires a greater degree of willpower than many of us routinely possess.

And there is a price to pay beyond mere money. Dr. van Tulleken cites one study showing that for every 10% increase in ultra-processed food consumption the risk of cancer rises by the same amount. Other studies link these foods to cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, depression and dementia. The high levels of salt, sugar and fat are not the only problem, Dr. van Tulleken emphasizes. Some scientists see the very act of processing—which can mean inserting harmful ingredients and stripping out healthy nutrients—as the fundamental risk.

Given such harm, what are we to do? Dr. van Tulleken’s proposals are modest. He says the Food and Drug Administration needs to be more vigilant about regulating food additives, and he favors marketing restrictions and warning labels. But he shies away from the government using its powers to channel people toward more nutritional food. “That’s not the business of politicians,” he writes. He prefers “a world where you have real choices and the freedom to make them.” That means the freedom to make unhealthy choices—say, devouring multiple scoops of Häagen-Dazs—as well as healthy ones.

How Many new books on this topic of ultra processed foods and food like substances, and how many newcbook reviews have I read in the past 13 years? especially ones that make “modest proposals"?!

And the resulting Action??

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-20-23 at 09:49.
  #309   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-23, 05:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Why We Can't Stop Eating Food That Isn't Food

Because it's been designed as an addictive substance. All the time, WAR ON DRUGS. To distract us from the science fiction drugs they were developing for everyone, not just the poor and desperate.

Do THEY eat this way? I don't think the rich are killing themselves with Door Dash and Grub Hub.
  #310   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-23, 11:33

The Favorite Doctor of Bio-Hackers and the Longevity-Obsessed

The popularity of Peter Attia, the physician, author and podcast host, reflects Americans’ growing interest in living healthier longer

Dr Peter Attia and his Outlive book continues to gain momentum in the mainstream/finance world.

https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness...sb7wmw6&reflink

Begins: "If it seems as though everyone is throwing out orange juice, lifting weights barefoot or talking about “zone two” exercise, blame Dr. Peter Attia."

"Attia advocates a high-protein diet, close observation of health metrics such as lean muscle mass and bone density, and exercise as a weapon in the fight to live longer. He has said that glucose monitors, typically worn by people with diabetes, can be useful tools. He extols the benefits of aerobic training at a two-out-of-five intensity level (dubbed “zone two”) to boost the functioning of mitochondria, the power plants of your cells. Attia prefers to lift weights while barefoot to help balance and stability. On his list of things to avoid: phones in the bedroom and sugary drinks including juices in the fridge.~"

[Tip, definitely eat a high protein diet, but an inexpensive, OTC glucometer is better for tracking the BG data that matters. All the cool kids have CGMs, but do not let cost or need to join the programs that include CGMs stop you…they are not necessary]

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Sep-14-23 at 04:23.
  #311   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-24, 07:06

Deal Alert! 99 cents on Kindle. Prof Roy Taylor's Reversing T2 Diabetes, easy to understand, little pocket guide to diabetes and how to treat it. Prof Taylor has a longer book with more science, but this is only 70 pages.

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Simple-...xt%2C103&sr=1-1

Will include his own written explanation of the Personal Fat Threshold, as described in 2 hour The Proof podcast:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...3&postcount=265

I was not a good candidate for his very low calorie protocol, but found a less rigorous program to reduce both carbs and fats. His science behind the Personal Fat Threshold is solid.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-17-24 at 14:28.