Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-18, 13:38
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
It's really only for fun. I drink WAAAYYY too much to make my own hooch for my supply, and I doubt anything I did will be as good as what I can buy.
Same here. Just use copper (silver solder brazed) or stainless steel only and an NGS wash. Your eyes or brain are a terrible thing to waste.

If you want our Home Distillers Blog PM me. It's off-topic for here.

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Oct-11-18 at 13:46.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 08:09

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

It's not off topic for a Liquor thread PM coming your way. Let me know if you didn't get it, the forum was acting weird. I cant tell if it sent...you may have gotten more than one...

Also, just to report, drinking too much causes weight gain! Duh!

Yea, I admitted I stalled, but really had been drinking to excess...just way too much. Like I've said, the bad thing about my alcoholism is it causes no overt social/relationship problems. I dont act a fool, drive drunk, nothing like that. I have the ability to drink so much and until it begins to adversely and obviously affect my day to day health, when I get on a binge (no day-drinking, just every night) it takes something like pain to make me stop.

Well, finally my stomach started bothering me, combined with the scale started bothering me...I stalled at around 187, but after about 4 months of falling off the wagon and drinking a lot of booze, had put on a few pounds. I finally decided to go back to 4 days sober, three nights drinking again, and in those first 4 days dropped the three pounds.

We'll see how it goes forward, but one things for sure, last night (Friday night) it certainly took less booze to achieve the buzz. I need to stay productive outside this time of year when the weather is perfect for working (cutting and splitting wood for the season, etc....home maintenance and repair), so I'm also motivated to not be hungover. That means I'll hopefully keep a handle on it for a while...and maybe lose a few more pounds.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sat, Oct-13-18 at 08:20.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 19:22
Grease is the word!

Quote:
We'll see how it goes forward, but one things for sure, last night (Friday night) it certainly took less booze to achieve the buzz. I need to stay productive outside this time of year when the weather is perfect for working (cutting and splitting wood for the season, etc....home maintenance and repair), so I'm also motivated to not be hungover. That means I'll hopefully keep a handle on it for a while...and maybe lose a few more pounds.
Yeah, I am retired so I sometimes drink before siesta in the hot Summer, but not usually in Winter when I am busy working outside for as much as I can stand. Woodcutting is hard work so I have to pace myself these days even yard work is tiring.

Drinking less eventually makes it affect you more, reduces the tolerance as the liver makes less of the enzyme needed to convert ethanol, so does ketosis. I find beer causes water retention weight gain, but I have one or two on occasion. I don't fancy a cold one in the Winter though -- maybe just a hot toddy If I get a chest cold hot liqueur or tequila w/honey helps.

TIG for thin copper is tricky, can't do thin stuff with my 220VAC DC welder, but it's great around the ranch for stuff. Got your msg, not sure how to respond. Ill give it a try.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-18, 11:17
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Well, finally my stomach started bothering me, combined with the scale started bothering me...I stalled at around 187, but after about 4 months of falling off the wagon and drinking a lot of booze, had put on a few pounds.
Sent a PM
Yeah, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Vodka neat, the only way I like it does a number on my mouth, throat and gut these days. More than a wee bit can make my eyes red and itchy too the next morning. Not worth it IMO

It's also a known staller of weight-loss even if it has Zero carbs and you eat less!
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 07:07

BF:

Yep, this is my time of year for woodcutting and exterior home maintenance too. I cant handle the heat of the summer anymore for physical labor.

Thanks for reminding me about the beer. I have half a 12 pack of Michelob Ultra (2.6 grams carbs) in the fridge I keep forgetting about! I'm less likely to drink beer in cold weather too...the beer I like in cold weather is waaayyy too carby! Maybe I'll splurge on one or two this winter for special occasion...
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-18, 04:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Back to the original question, why liquor stops weight loss, it is Oxidative Priority. Craig Emmerich has written a good guest blog post at MDA to summarize that section from his book, Keto.
There is more in the book, but this article includes the charts and calories of storage for each fuel, that explain it well: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/oxi...ls-to-the-body/
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-18, 07:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Good article, and it's why those who are trying to lose weight using low carb or keto undermine themselves by having even an "innocent" glass of dry wine or liquor on a regular basis. It puts endogenous fat and carb burning on hold.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-18, 15:45

BF:

Interesting that the very first reply I got on this said essentially the same thing.

One thing I can verify is alcohol does stall weight loss and it does increase hunger. I find I'm hungry more when I'm drinking...while drinking and the next morning/day.

That said, drinking hasn't packed on a bunch of pounds either. I've cut back again to primarily the weekends and do drink quite a bit then...almost all distilled spirits. I'll put on a couple pounds and they drop right back off after a few days of not drinking. I'm even having a little carb splurge here and there and nothing devastating, but the weight loss has slowed to what was a stall that just recently broke when I weighed almost as low as 185. I'm hoping to break the 185 line here too, but the holidays are coming and I will without a doubt be splurging a little.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-18, 18:42
Grease is the word!

Drinking kills my appetite. It also has a pronounced laxative effect. People are different I guess
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-18, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/215/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I haven't been on in quite a while, just lurking about and reading what others have to say...you could say I have "stalled", but I am not trying very hard at the moment. I still eat LC, around 20-25 a day, but I know I can not loose at that amount, and in that number is wine....I make my own and have a hard time not drinking it, and it is bottling time, so my wines need to be tasted before bottling in case I need to tweak it a little, then a taste turns into a glass and a glass into 2 glasses! One of these days I'll get back to being strict, 5-10 carbs and no alcohol, then I'll loose again.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-18, 09:29

BF:

Drinking temporarily kills my appetite at first, then the appetite comes back strong and more than when I'm not drinking. Also depends on what I'm drinking...mostly liquor these days of course but good beer is almost food! And filling.

If I made homemade wine I'd have a hard time not drinking it too! I'm splurging lately on something about every week now food wise. It hasn't made me gain weight, but definitely not losing at the moment.

20-25 grams of carbs a day is Atkins lowest plan. I'm not sure 5-10 grams is even a good idea. To each their own but thats really super low.

By the way I only come back here to reply to threads I get notices on. I'm active over at Low Carb Neighborhood. This is a site of nice people but it seems when it comes to actually cooking, there's not a lot of activity or interest here I find. I guess people are here for the support forums etc. LCN has those too, but I dont need support, I'm just trying to cook, eat and drink the best I can while not being fat!
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-18, 10:23

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

20-25 grams a day might be "Atkins" lowest plan, but it wasn't Dr. Atkins lowest plan. For some hard losers, he prescribed fat fasting interspersed with induction. Or just staying in induction, if that gave results but climbing the carb ladder for ongoing weight loss didn't work Dr. Atkins' original three cups of low carb veggies, combined with the spartan cream for coffee and what carbs people would have coming in from cheese and egg would have a lot of people closer to 10 grams than 20 per day. I personally hit somewhere around 12 grams total, 8 grams net on a daily basis, although it involve way more heavy cream than the original program, and I get better results this way.