Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 21:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/209/188 Male 6'-1"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Best Doctors?

Has anyone ever heard of an association call Best Doctors. My doctor, who is trying his hardest to get me on Lipitor, has told me several times he is a cholesterol expert and has been voted as one of the country's "Best Doctors".
I was in today and he even showed me the plaque on the wall. The plaque didn't say what organization was behind it.

I suspect it is an award for prescribing a certain quota of Lipitor. Just wondering if my suspicians are correct.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 18:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I would ask him some peertinent questions about cholesterol. Ask him about diet. If he stresses high carb I would question his knowledge. A good doctor is an open, listening doctor. A good doctor works with the patient to manage their health. You do not need a plaque or piece of paper.

JMO,
Black57

Last edited by black57 : Tue, Dec-30-03 at 18:21.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

The BEST doctor:
1. WILL KNOW that total cholesterol and/or LDL is NOT the best indication of heart health.
2. KNOWS that 50% of all heart patients do NOT have high cholesterol.
3. Will take into account other MARKERS (family history, smoking, type B LDL, etc.), as well as order a CRP (C-Reactive protein) test, which indicate INFLAMMATION
4. WILL KNOW that dietary glucose INFLATES triglycerides, while saturated fat has remarkably very LITTLE bearing on lipid profiles.
5. WILL KNOW that it is polyunsaturated fats that make up the majority (75%) of arterial plaque in studies, not sat fats. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...p;dopt=Abstract
6. KNOWS that the dangers of statin drugs FAR OUTWEIGH the benefits. http://www.lipitor.com/pi/default.asp#warnings

Last edited by OHGal1415 : Thu, Jan-29-04 at 11:02.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 21:00
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Howe:
Yes, there is a group that rates MD's as "America's Best Doctors", and they have a web site. US News also does ratings,as do many local magazines. Anyone can get a plaque, and I wonder why he/she is trying to convince you to follow their recommendation by trying to "prove" what a great doctor they are.
Good luck in learning more, and making a decision.
E