Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 04:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/177/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default What do you Aussie low-carbers eat?

I just cant find any low carb stuff. Has anyone else had any luck, maybe we can swap ideas of what we are all eating to give us some variety down under.

Tracie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: Forever Slim(Dr Robert Harris)
Stats: 221/167/120
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Re: What do you Aussie low-carbers eat?

Quote:
Originally posted by td2227
I just cant find any low carb stuff. Has anyone else had any luck, maybe we can swap ideas of what we are all eating to give us some variety down under.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

I live in Queensland and have been locarbing since March this year. I have gone from 100kgs to 78.5kgs.
I am following the forever slim diet plan.You may have heard of it.The author is from Qld also.
I have found some locarb stuff in the local supermarket.
Have you seen the soft drinks made by golden circle? they now have ones sweetened with splenda. They come in a variety of flavours.
You can also get chocolate sweetened with nutrasweet made by cadbury.
There are also mint sweets sweetened with splenda.They are made by Lilla.
I usually have eggs and ham or bacon for breakfast with mushrooms.Sometimes I make ommlette with the ham or bacon added to it. I fry the ham first to crisp it up.It tastes better.

Strawberries and thick cream makes a great dessert.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
If you want to give me a call on yahoo messenger you are welcome to do so.

Dazza
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 00:02
Registered Member

Stats: 133/126/
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi Tracy

I haven't been LC for long so am just new to this.

I'm from Adelaide and have given up trying to find low carb products. Darryl Lea has a chocolate sweetened with Splenda that is very LC but I found I couldn't stop eating it once I started so I stopped eating it.

I know you can buy most LC products on the net but It's not the same as browsing through a supermarket and selecting what you want.

I tend to eat either eggs & beef or make up an ommlete with mushrooms & spinach for breakfast. For lunch and dinner I'll have some sort of meat/poultry and vegs. About once a week I'll have a sweet e.g Moch Danish. Diet Jelly is always a good stand by when I'm desperate for something cold & sweet.

Don't think this is much help to you but Adelaide is behind the times in everything so there is not much chance that I will ever find any true LC products.

Deb
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 00:10
Registered Member

Stats: 209/177/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Great

Congrats on your weight loss dazza, I intend on doing as well as you.

Thanks for the great ideas, it seems that we are all eating the same sorts of stuff.

I would order food over the net once I get the hang of low carbing. There is an Australian site where you can order lo-carb stuff and aussie receipes, I just have to find it again!!!

Have any of you found any soy flour that is in some of the receipes. After reading the locarb luxury thingy page, it seems that life can be a little more exciting that the meat and veg thing.

Tracie.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 00:23
Registered Member

Stats: 133/126/
BF:
Progress: 54%

I found Soy flour in the health food store. Very common here so you shouldn't have trouble finding it. Made pancakes with soy flour and tasted ok but were 'different'.

Deb
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 22:14

Stats: 191/173/150
BF:
Progress: 44%

I also found both Soy and Gluten Flour in the health food isle at coles. Ricci and Double 'D' both make SF lollies which are great! (Ricci Caramel chews are soo good!) But they can be addictive!

This is the Australian LC reciepe site:

http://www.carb-lite.au.com/
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 18:15
Registered Member

Stats: 174/161/141
BF:
Progress: 39%

Just a quick note for all. I have been low-carbing since April and have hit my goal weight of 65kg's. I used to scour the web pages for recipes to try, and found I hated anything with soy particularly soy protein. I am a regular buyer of almond meal as you can use it to make so many things- get it from your health food store where you can buy it by the kilo- it is much cheaper.

Bacon & Eggs with cheese melted on the bacon (I just stick it on top of the bacon in the frying pan) is my staple breakfast. Occasionally now that I am on Maintenance I have weetbix with splenda and pure cream! (It is much better than it used to be with milk). Lunch is a salad full of tomatoes (fresh & sundried), lettuce, parmesan cheese, cucumber and marinated eggplant fillets with either full fat casear salad dressing or balsamic vinegar. Dinner is meat & veges of some description without the potatos, rice or pasta that the rest of the family have. For anyone that is interested Family Circle have a Fat, Fibre & Carb counter available- check your supermarket. It's good for all those things that don't have a nutiritional breakdown on the back.

I think you will all find that you will get to a point where the cravings for "normal" things such as biscuits & cakes disappear. Donna Aston who is an Australian body builder has a couple of books called "Fat or Fiction" and Body Business. She also is an advocate of low carb eating and she has some great recipes in her books which you cannot find on the web. It also is written using Aussie Available ingredients.

Good luck

Joanne
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 202/176/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi. I have been LCing since the end of August and have lost 7 kgs. The main thing though is I feel heaps better and have more energy. Today at Safeway I found Atkins Bake Mix and two salad dressings by Kraft called CArbWell. The french has only 0.1 carbs per 100ml and the italian has 0.7 carbs per 100ml and they taste really good. I like eating lean steak and salad, chicken and celery salad, bacon and eggs and for dessert I have cheesecake pudding with strawberries.The recipes on this site are great and its worth taking the time to look through them. Good Luck.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 22:31

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Caz,

As you can see there is not too much Aussie activity around here - the last message in that thread is almost 4 years old. Wow! that is kinda cool!

But there are still heaps of people low carbing in Oz!

Dave
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 03:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hi LCDave,
I thought the original thread was interesting and I wanted to see what others are eating. Sometimes I just don't know what to have and other peoples ideas can get you thinking. I hope more people get on the bandwagon and we might get more LC products available. They reckon Americans are deserting the LC Lifestyle , but there are still heaps of success stories on this forum.Catch you later.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 19:11

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%
Progress: 87%

Hi, I have been LC'ing since the start of August and have lost 10kgs so far on this WOL. My regular daily menu is:

B/Fast
2 rashers of Bacon
1 tomato
2 steakettes (from the butcher they have less than 1gram each)

Lunch
Salad - lettuce, tomato, cheese, alfalfa, snow peas, bean sprouts
Meat - whether it be steak or ham or chicken

Dinner
Meat & vegies, or if the others are having spag bog I take the sauce and put it over vegies

In between meals if I am hungry I snack on salami - hans stuff is generally low in carbs, not the stuff from the deli cabinet in supermarket.
Sugar free jelly
and for that sweetness hit, I have a piece of extra chewing gum.

I have also been purchasing the atkins morning shine bars but they are really expensive and this week I am trying to do without them.

If u go to the australian atkins site you can do a search on places that sell their products. Also someone else mentioned the womans weekly fat & kj counter book, I got this from the newsagents a couple of weeks ago for only $4.95. A brilliant purchase.

I was writting down everything that I ate during the day and making sure that i only had so many karbs but i have since stopped as i pretty much know now how i am going through out the day.

Hope that helps

Tara
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 05:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Tara,
Congratulations on your loss. Great achievement. I have lost about 7kg since the end of august. We seem to be eating similar food,eg steaks and salads and lc vegies. I usually have eggs at breakfast, either fried or boiled and sometimes I make a sort of sweet egg pancake. For my sweet treat I have Cheesecake pudding with Strawberries. Yum.
Good Luck.
Caz
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 18:13

Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%
Progress: 87%

Hi Caz

I am trying to avoid having deserts etc, as i am unable to stop myself at one piece. I find it is best if i dont have any items of temptation in the house. Hate it when ppl visit and leave all sorts of chocolates and lollies for my kids, who are only 4months, 2yrs and 3 yrs and a bit too young to be stuffing their faces with that kind of junk. I hate throwing things out too - catch 22 situation for me i'm afraid.

I considered adding eggs into my repetoir on a regular basis but i hate them. Have had some in an omlette but i have to put heaps of stuff in to hide the taste. Would be so much easier if i liked them. Suck a quick and easy snack.

Good luck on your journey too

Tara
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-05, 05:37
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Tara,
You are lucky if you can keep items of temptation out of the house. My other half is diabetic, but I can't convince him to change his eating habits. Therefore there are always tempting things I shouldn't have in the fridge and in the cupboards. So I have decided I'm better off having a dessert I am allowed to have than not have one and then be tempted by some yummy thing in the house. I am really determined to succeed with this Wol.Do your kids eat the same as you, or do you cook their meals seperately? it's nice chatting with you.
Caz
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-05, 09:14
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I didn't even know there was an Aussie section to this site until I fluked just then and found it ... HI!!

e