Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.5/151/130
BF:
Progress: 37%
Unhappy Okay... So temptation got the best of me...

UGH! Well, I gave in to the temptation... I feel so guilty that I let myself be tempted by all the no-no foods. The problem is, I want more of the no-no foods... any advice or encouraging words to help me through? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

The headaches that you may get from your cheat will probably speak louder than anything I could say...but I know with me, if I cheat, then I crave, and then I cheat again...vicious cycle. I have to be strong to break the cycle and to get things back under control.

Good Luck!! You've done it before, so know that you can do it again...it just takes a TON of will power.

Cheers,
KC
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 11:32

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

it's helpful for many of us to think of carbs as an addictive drug--we think too much about them, we can't stop once we start, if they're in the house, we can't leave them alone, and we may have even stolen as children to get them! Once you realize that sugar (or flour or chocolate) is your own personal "heroin," then it's easier to follow recovery programs--understand how poor your control is in this one area, abstain entirely from the drug, figure out why you use it, forgive yourself for having used the drug to numb emotional pain in the past, come up with new strategies to deal with emotional issues, and so on.

The longer you go without the drug, the easier it is to not want it. Cravings do abate. If you feed them once a week, they hang around forever. For some people, the cravings can be fed with artificial sweeteners.

After a cheat, the best procedure is:

1) forgive yourself entirely. Guilt takes off no pounds and can lead to further bingeing.

2) get right back on track. Don't punish yourself with fewer carbs or calories or more exercise than is healthy--just go right back to where you were in your program

3) keep good records of what you had eaten before, who you were with, and how you felt--you'll see patterns emerging regarding what triggers your cheats

4) invent new strategies to deal with those triggers...implement them, realizing some will work and some won't.

Patience & self-acceptance are crucial to the process. Very few of us heal from life-long sugar abuse in a week or a month or even a year. As they say in the 12-step world, it's one day at a time. Some people here attend OA meetings; I do a lot of work with binge eating disorder self-help books. Whatever it takes to change our bad old habits.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/180/160
BF:
Progress: 69%
Angry ops i fell off again

Well ,iv done it again.Fallen off Atkins diet.It all started with a trip to see family.Now i go 3-5 on it and fall off again.I know once im back on and stay away even from the sweet tasting stuff im alowed (found some great choclate bars,even choc shake) ill be ok.My sugar,carb cravings will disapear,its just geting there.Anybody have sugestions?