Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 13:36

Plan: basic low carb, no plan
Stats: 278/274/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default HELP! Really sick?

Just a quick question. I think I know the answer, but in case someone else has the same question, HELP! LOL

I have had the carb "flu". This is my 2nd day of it, so hopefully only one more to go, but have any of you felt really physically sick to your stomach, to the point you thought you really could throw up?

That's where I'm at this afternoon and even the very thought of eating is making me sick. I'm just staying away from food at the moment, but I have had a good amount of protein and I'm not hungry, and I probably will eat a little something for the evening, but just wondering about this. Anxious to hear!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 13:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Some have nausea, have you been drinking enough water and taking salt as directed to combat side effects? Here are the common side effects and how to minimize them. http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects
Dr Westman suggests using salted broth 2-3 times a day. Don't eat if you are not hungry, just the broth might be a good evening meal.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 13:54

BF:
Default water

I drink enough water to float a battleship. Truly it is all I drink other than 1 cup of coffee in the morning, but I have a 1 liter bottle that I fill several times a day, so I was thinking of reinventing the potty computer chair..... okay too much information there.

Not the broth yet, haven't been to the store to get broth and don't really have any chicken here I can use for it, but maybe soon. I did try salting the water (maybe you suggested that?). So far it hasn't helped, but maybe it will soon.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

More salt, dunroven. More salt. Sorry you are so miserable with the carb flu. Who would have thought that it would fight so hard to stay in your system?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 03:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Micki Sue is right...if you are drinking and then peeing large volumes, then you are likely losing even more minerals than average. First, you should only drink to thirst. Yes, you should be "well-hydrated" (whatever that means) but also do not force water beyond normal thirst. Those little boullion cubes or packets are fine and plain salting your water and foods will work too... if it is enough, and probably more than you think. Here is Nancy's good thread about salt: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...210#post8626210

Also, you don't have to "force the fat", a dramatic change in fat from whatever your previous diet was may be upsetting to your GI, especially if you have gallbladder issues. Don't eat anything with artificial sweeteners and Just eat real food may help too. https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-12-16 at 03:55.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 09:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

One thing I've noticed is if I eat too much protein I can get nauseated. Make sure you're getting your veggies in and not just eating nothing but meat.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 09:53

BF:
Default Nancy

I think that might be a part of it Nancy, but I'm really struggling with figuring out how to get my veggies in. I don't like lettuce salads at all. I had to eat too many of those as a young girl who was on a diet since the age of 12, and lettuce makes me gag. Lettuce in any form let me say it that way. That and tuna are my worst enemies now.

I also think part of the reason that we failed before on this diet is because we ate too many veggies. I can't quite figure out how we can get the right amount without going over board. We love fried cauliflower, fried in butter, garlic powder and onion powder plus salt and pepper. I do the same thing with green beans and cabbage, but it says you have to measure things that "melt" down pre cooking, so the amount of cabbage or cauliflower you get for one cup, just is hardly worth the time to cook it, turns out about 2 to 3 tablespoons by the time its cooked (exaggeration, but you know what I mean). So I need better ways to get our veggies in, but just can't come to terms with how to do that.

Any help is appreciated.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 10:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always go by weight, not by volume, when measuring veggies. Veggies have too many odd shapes so there's a lot of air space when you're measuring them by cups.

So, find a good web site like http://nutritiondata.self.com/ and use that to calculate how much, in weight, you can eat of veggies. IMHO overeating veggies probably isn't the primary reason most people fail to lose weight on Atkins.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 10:21

BF:
Default cauliflower

Nancy, I went to the site and it says a 10 ounce bag of frozen, unprepared cauliflower has 13 g of carbs, 7 g of fiber, 6 g of sugars. Do you do any deleting for the fiber? Some folks do that. Or do you just take the entire count of 13? Now either way, my husband and I, once this is cooked in butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper, can definitely eat 2 bags of this between us. So you see where my thinking is on the overeating veggies?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 10:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven
Nancy, I went to the site and it says a 10 ounce bag of frozen, unprepared cauliflower has 13 g of carbs, 7 g of fiber, 6 g of sugars. Do you do any deleting for the fiber? Some folks do that. Or do you just take the entire count of 13? Now either way, my husband and I, once this is cooked in butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper, can definitely eat 2 bags of this between us. So you see where my thinking is on the overeating veggies?

I think that's why Atkins changed his philosophy on deducting fiber in the DANDR (Dr. Atkins new diet revolution)book. Because he realized the value in eating veggies for the nutrients and the fiber. I would definitely consider deducting the fiber if it makes you eat veggies. Otherwise you end up with big BM problems and have to resort to flax and other things to get things moving.

From the beginning, purely for variety on the plate I began having 2 veggies or 1 veggie and a salad with my meat. Not double portions but 1/2 C of each.
It keeps things interesting too.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 10:46

BF:
Default Yeah

I get that Meme. We need variety, and that's where I'm hitting the brick wall. Salads are out, like I said, too many of those through growing up years. I can't stand looking at a salad let alone putting it in my mouth anymore. I am limited on the veggies side of things

Cauliflower
Asparagus
Cabbage
Green beans

That's about it. There really aren't a whole lot of veggies that fit here that we like.

Hard to get much of a variety when we don't like the veggies.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 10:55

BF:

Zucchini Squash, Yellow crookneck squash? These are 2 of my favorite veggies.
Oh and bagged baby spinach which stir fries in about 2 minutes

And how about Broccoli?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 11:07

BF:
Default Possibly

Maybe the squash. How do you prepare it? The spinach is definitely out. Yucko! LOL Nope on the broccoli either.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 12:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If by the site, you mean the Atkins site, don't worry about what they say. Their reason to exist is to get you to buy their products, not, necessarily, to help you lose weight.

The first thread in this forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98 has a list of what Dr Atkins said is OK to eat during induction.

There are a lot of threads there, too, that may have good information for you.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-16, 12:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven
Maybe the squash. How do you prepare it? The spinach is definitely out. Yucko! LOL Nope on the broccoli either.

This is one of the many ways I cook Zucchini

Quote:
ROASTED VEGETABLES
Here is my fav veggie mix that is so easy.
I first found this in an expensive store on wooden skewers.
So for 1/2 price, I do it myself.

Turn oven on high, 500

In a metal roasting pan I cut these veggies into 1-2inch chunks.
Zucchini, Red onion, Mushrooms and Red bell pepper.
sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper and coat well with olive oil.

Make sure to spread the veggies in single layer so they roast and don't become watery...thus the reason for 500 degrees.

(Roast veggies in oven while you cook your meat on the stove.)

I turn the veggies once or twice and can also add some butter and garlic (later since garlic burns easily and becomes bitter)
That's it.

The veggies take on a whole new taste because this method brings out their natural sweetness and flavor.
Roast for 10-15max minutes

I also save the leftovers and use them with my morning eggs.