Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 06:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenJoy
Many thanks. Very good advice. My sister keeps telling me to do Weight Watchers, though, because - when it first came out - Atkins intimated you could eat as much as you wanted, as long as you followed the food chart. Now that it's changed so that you're allowed only small portions, I am wondering what is its advantage over Weight Watchers? The advantage of Atkins is now lost on me.

I think this is a fair memory of original Atkins, he did give this impression. I did lose from 190 down to 170 without counting calories, and it is a common occurrence for people to lose while eating protein and fat to appetite. But Atkins didn't stop there. He suggests a lot of things, some seeming contradictory. For example there are spots where he suggests that if you fail to lose, your fat intake may be a little high. Then there's the fat fast, where you take the opposite strategy of eating almost pure fat--but at lower calories, for a period. Which certainly goes against the unlimited calories idea. And when writing about induction, there's a place where he reminds that while two-thirds of protein can be made into glucose, only one tenth of fat can--the "glycerol" of triglycerol. I'm sure he used all of these with individual patients. With a larger audience--he couldn't give individualized advice, so we get a broad prescription, the one likely to work for most people--and then these various tweaks to try, if it doesn't.

If you have to eat less, how is this better than Weight Watchers? Well, there's this--suppose somebody had to restrict their calories by 20 percent to lose weight, whether they were on a high carb, mixed, or a low carb diet. Even if just switching to a low carb diet didn't result in a spontaneous calorie deficit, that doesn't mean that eating a controlled calorie low carb diet won't be easier that eating a higher carb caloried controlled diet--you can't know that for yourself without doing the experiment. There are plenty of low carb studies showing spontaneous weightloss without discomfort, without prescribed calorie restriction, but there are also a fair number showing weight loss with low carb and calorie restriction combined, without the expected discomfort, Gary Taubes writes about a number of these in Good Calories Bad Calories. I know for myself that eating a more ketogenic (controlled protein as well as carbs) version of the diet allows me to lower my calories without discomfort, and without the binges that this would make me prone to on a less ketogenic diet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 07:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The current LC doctors like Dr Westman, Eenfeldt and Fung explain why CICO doesn't work yet calories count better than Dr Atkins, but he was quite clear that they do matter.

Quote:
Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
p.275

“Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.

Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet
p.205

“If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are producing ketones. You must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as “Eat Unrestrictedly.” When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate partway to the desired goal”.

p.205
“You may have to count calories in addition to carbohydrate. I have never said that calories don’t count, because I know of course that they do. I say that carbohydrate counts more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both.

For most people, restricting carbohydrates is all that is necessary. However, there is no question that a 1500 calories 10 gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly than a 2000 calorie-10 gram diet. So if you are having trouble losing you should cut down on your quantities, but not to the point where you where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger”

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
1992, 1999, 2002
p.143

“Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low fat/high carb diet so that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.”
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 07:09

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thank you for those really good replies teaser and Janet!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 22:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/153/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

So let's say I'm drinking tea,eating eggs, tuna with mayo and chicken and that's it. My stick is deep purple. So will I lose weight? And could it take a few days? Or, could I stay the same weight and lose inches?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 06:18

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Eileen, It depends on how much tuna, eggs, mayo and chicken you eat. We, or at least I, can't tell you how much to eat to loose weight. You, and your body, are the only ones that can answer this by experimentation.

Answer: I don't know.

I wish I did. but if you follow the instructions from a solid plan, like Atkins, over a significant amount of time, you should eventually, as someone well put it, move toward a body weight and shape that is appropriate for you at this point in your life.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 08:04

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
So let's say I'm drinking tea,eating eggs, tuna with mayo and chicken and that's it. My stick is deep purple. So will I lose weight? And could it take a few days? Or, could I stay the same weight and lose inches?
The only way to find out is to try it and see. What will you do if you DON'T lose weight or inches? Try something else? Of course, your expectations may undermine your commitment to a plan that actually works. Putting a timetable on weight loss is usually the ultimate discouragement.

If you follow the original Atkins Diet Revolution plan AS WRITTEN, you will begin to experience a change in your metabolism from using carbohydrates for energy to using fat for energy--both the fat you eat and the fat on your body. This is different for everyone, and can cause unpleasant side effects for a few days or weeks. See what's written.

Your questions are unanswerable as hypothetical results.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 09:55

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenJoy
So let's say I eat tuna with gobs of mayo several times a day, and a big hunk of cheese, four eggs, and lots of other stuff, can I assume I will be losing weight? I read the book years ago and it said you can eat as many eggs, as much meyo, as much meat, etc. as you wanted and you would lose weight. And, yes, my stick turns purple doing this. But am I just fooling myself about losing weight?

Personally, I think the hype and publicity around Atkins' "eat all the bacon you want" and "eat meat and veggies and fat and still lose weight" was publicity crap to sell books. If you actually read the nitty gritty in Atkins, he admits that yes, calories DO matter.... you can't eat 5000 calories of bacon a day and lose weight.

BUT.... here's the important thing, you CAN "eat all you want" (if you don't have an unusually off-the-bell-curve appetite and related food overconsumption issues) and still lose weight on Atkinds BECAUSE the food on Atkins will satisfy you and not leave you with those "I've got to eat something or I'll gnaw the chair legs" feeling you get on calorie restricted diets. THAT is the difference that makes this WOE sustainable.

I have been on LCHF for 9 months and have lost 60 pounds. I have not cheated. I don't need to. It has taken a while, but as time went on, my need for large portions gradually decreased. And I still felt full. I think that is the secret of Atkins....

Plus, on the biochemical level: You aren't taking in sugar/starch, so your body isn't making as much insulin so you aren't pouring all those calories into your fat cells for storage and then you need to eat more because instead of fueling your daily living activities, the calories you ate are in storage as fat.

So -- the answer is that the the calories matter, but what your body does with them and how they make you feel matter more.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 10:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is the third time you have asked the same question in this thread. Sadly, our answers are not going to change.

1. YOU CAN BE IN KETOSIS AND NOT LOSE BODY FAT, AND YOU CAN LOSE BODY FAT WITHOUT BEING IN KETOSIS. A purple stick means there is acetoacetate in your urine. End of story.
( see more at post 2) do yourself a favor and throw them out.

2. "Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions." (From Dr Atkins books, see more at post 17) Nothing's changed, btw, what do you for activity? Consider adding a walk, I listen to LC podcasts while walking to learn more about the diet.

The "eat all the bacon you want" diet is the one Dr Westman calls the Chet Atkins Diet

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-20-17 at 11:09.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-17, 18:42

Stats: 155/153/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Jey 100 - I am sorry I offended you by asking the same questions three times. I was speaking with other people, who were very helpful, and did not realize this would annoy you. I will not post again, and I thank the people who gave me very good advice.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-17, 19:47

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think that you are too focused on the sticks.. They will not tell you what you are doing right or wrong.

The best thing to do is to track your food for a few days. I use fatsecret.com to track everything. It is free and has an app. Makes it really easy.

Dr Atkins plan was not to teach you to eat all the time or without focus but to learn to eat well and lose weight doing it.
You don't have that much to lose so you are most likely not going to drop a lot at once. It will most likely be a slower process.
I wonder if you read Atkins book all the way through?

What I would do is plan a good breakfast lunch and dinner for tomorrow. Sit and eat the meals and write it all down. It is not that you need to do this forever but we need to figure out where the issue is here.
How many carbs and calories you are actually taking in.

There is hope. Don't give up..